BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Clear coat scratches after getting professional ceramic coating, opinions please?

11-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
hyperrift
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Clear coat scratches after getting professional ceramic coating, opinions please?

Hey guys,

I have a 2019 M2 with about 8,000 miles.

I recently decided to get it ceramic coated to help keep the paint fresher and help ward off contaminants, so I took it to a highly rated detailer (4.9 stars on google, 120+ reviews) near me with rave reviews and many photos of premium cars.

I paid $1,400 to do a full paint preparation and full body ceramic coat in Gtechniq C1, 2 coats, including taking off the wheels and coating the wheels and the brakes.

I picked it up when it was dark from the detailer a few days after dropping it off and the next day when I could examine it under some light, I noticed a ton of fine parallel scratches on the hood, almost like swirl marks. They are all over, but only apparent in certain lighting conditions.

Now it could have been me that caused them or the detailer, though I don't remember seeing them even after a fresh wash. I'm the only person that has ever washed it, with the two-bucket system and a microfiber mitt, going from top to bottom. Regardless of where they came from, I would have assumed that any fine scratches in the clear coat would have been corrected as part of a polishing step before the ceramic coating was applied.

I was hoping I could get some opinions from other people here, I am not an expert on this stuff. Should the hood have these scratches after a ceramic coating? Am I being picky, are my expectations wrong here? I'm wondering if I should have them redo the hood.

Taken the morning I took it to the detailer:
Before album

Sorry, it's hard to capture good photo/video with the phone of the surface at this detail.
After album

I'd appreciate any feedback here.

p.s. I told them about the soft coating on the instrument gauge panel on this model, and to be super gentle there, which they also seem to have severely scratched it up by just wiping it for dust, so be warned.
Attached Images

Last edited by hyperrift; 11-12-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
I'd take it back and ask. They seem to be under the coat. At a minimum they should have brought it to your attention on handing the car back.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
Am I being picky, are my expectations wrong here?

No. I would take it back. They should correct the problems. The fact that they ignored your comment about the instrument cluster would really piss me off (you could argue the cluster scratches are the worst part since they are difficult to restore).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
hyperrift
Private
Rep

I was also surprised that if there were scratches they were never fixed or even mentioned.

I did take it back to him and he agreed there were clear coat scratches and that he would be happy to take it back and work on it again, but he also mentioned not wanting to "burn" the paint or something.

Now I'm not sure about how risky it is to have him remove the ceramic and fix the clear coat, I'd hate to have it go poorly and end up worse than it is now.

For the instrument cluster, not even sure there is a fix at all.. I guess I could ask them to pay to have it replaced?

I'm just a little bummed out after paying a fair amount to see it come back with scratches like this, feels like attention to detail was not at the level I expected for that price, and my only remedy seems to be having the same place try to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #5
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
I was also surprised that if there were scratches they were never fixed or even mentioned.

I did take it back to him and he agreed there were clear coat scratches and that he would be happy to take it back and work on it again, but he also mentioned not wanting to "burn" the paint or something.

Now I'm not sure about how risky it is to have him remove the ceramic and fix the clear coat, I'd hate to have it go poorly and end up worse than it is now.

For the instrument cluster, not even sure there is a fix at all.. I guess I could ask them to pay to have it replaced?

I'm just a little bummed out after paying a fair amount to see it come back with scratches like this, feels like attention to detail was not at the level I expected for that price, and my only remedy seems to be having the same place try to fix it.
Wow that's not acceptable at all. It looks like a poor prep. Paint should have zero imperfections before coating. I took my car straight from the dealership delivery truck to my detailer for ceramic and even brand new cars can use a bit of polishing. I'd be asking for it to be fixed. If they don't feel comfortable fixing without "burning" the paint then a refund and taking to a better shop is warranted. Gauge cluster looks awful! That should absolutely be exchanged for a new one. I couldn't bear to look at those scratches every day I got in my car without getting pissed off.

Sorry you're going through this man.

Appreciate 1
smknjoe234.00
      11-13-2020, 01:26 AM   #6
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

^ this. That cluster is absurd. I wish you luck...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
One star rating could be called for subject to outcome
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

was this a real detailer? or a dEtAiLeR
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
hyperrift
Private
Rep

I don't want to call out names but it is a respected detailer company with a dedicated clean shop, in my large city, which regularly details and wraps premium vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #10
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

The gauge cluster is a pretty bad BMW fail so I probably wouldn't blame them on that one, but everything else should be addressed. If I were to ever get my car washed I would probably stick a piece of paper covering the cluster with bold words that say "DO NOT TOUCH". I got my car just a month ago and so far I've had issues with 4 shops already who were all highly regarded and considered "premium" places. I've come to the conclusion that most places just don't care enough about our cars. I think that's okay as a business practice if you are just a standard shop, but the ones that are charging premium prices have no excuse. Good luck on your resolution.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:43 AM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
They’re a certified gtechnic installer right?
Appreciate 0