BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Cup 2s on the street - help me decide

04-20-2024, 06:47 AM   #1
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Yes this thread again, I know there are a million threads on this topic but I can’t decide.

The issue is, I’m looking at an economical way into 763m wheels and the best deal by far is the matte black/Cup 2 set that you can get mounted, balanced, ready to go for around 4k shipped from sites like getbmwparts. Compare that to buying everything separately and you’re up near 5.5k.

My car is a garage queen, does not see rain or any type of weather, basically a weekend driver that maybe sees a trip or 2 of few hundred miles per year. Do not drive in temps below 50 degrees.

If I had my choice I would go for the 4s like I’ve had in the past (F80, F97), but given my use of the car, would Cup 2’s be that bad? I’m mainly worried about ride quality (I love the ride as it sits with OEM Super Sports and Eibach springs) and kicking rocks up.

Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:17 AM   #2
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Two other BMW online parts dealers that likely have better to much better pricing than getbmwparts are:

https://www.bmwminipartssolutions.com/

and

https://www.bmwpartsworldwide.com/

The concerns I would have going with the BMW option is the age of the tires and whether or not they are the cup2 240s or the older 180s. The 240s apparently perform better than the original design. In any event, it would be nice to know the mold date on the tires before buying them.

The second concern is heat cycling out -- people have complained about the cup2 heat cycling out before the tread wears out in daily use.

You might want to consider pricing the CS version of the 763M through that first link above and then consider using something like the RE-71RS if you really want a sticky TW200 tire.

Both of these will be sticky with lots of grit thrown up fwiw.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:21 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Cup 2's are going to wear out fast, and not good at all in rain. Really overkill on the street and they'll bite you if you arent' careful.

I'd either try to sell the Cup2's as new takeoffs, or perhaps you can get your local dealer to price match on the solo wheels (mine would, and a mounted set came out less than the online prices with shipping).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:22 AM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Two other BMW online parts dealers that likely have better to much better pricing than getbmwparts are:

https://www.bmwminipartssolutions.com/

and

https://www.bmwpartsworldwide.com/

The concerns I would have going with the BMW option is the age of the tires and whether or not they are the cup2 240s or the older 180s. The 240s apparently perform better than the original design. In any event, it would be nice to know the mold date on the tires before buying them.

The second concern is heat cycling out -- people have complained about the cup2 heat cycling out before the tread wears out in daily use.

You might want to consider pricing the CS version of the 763M through that first link above and then consider using something like the RE-71RS if you really want a sticky TW200 tire.

Both of these will be sticky with lots of grit thrown up fwiw.
Thanks for the info - given the way I use the car, performance (relatively speaking) and treadwear are of little concern to me (I've put 4k miles on the car in 2 years).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:26 AM   #5
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

fwiw, my car came with cup 2’s on the front and as4’s on the back..Guess the dealer didn’t want to spend the $$ putting cup2’s on the back. Ive put 20k miles on them. They ride great and are fine in the rain. Driven thru storms, etc..its my daily. Only downside is they are sticky = grab gravel, rocks, etc and toss them up the side….they aint that bad in the rain really. I never hydroplaned.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:36 AM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
fwiw, my car came with cup 2’s on the front and as4’s on the back..Guess the dealer didn’t want to spend the $$ putting cup2’s on the back. Ive put 20k miles on them. They ride great and are fine in the rain. Driven thru storms, etc..its my daily. Only downside is they are sticky = grab gravel, rocks, etc and toss them up the side….they aint that bad in the rain really. I never hydroplaned.
Good to know, my car has seen rain 1 time, by accident.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2024, 09:33 AM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Yes this thread again, I know there are a million threads on this topic but I can’t decide.

The issue is, I’m looking at an economical way into 763m wheels and the best deal by far is the matte black/Cup 2 set that you can get mounted, balanced, ready to go for around 4k shipped from sites like getbmwparts. Compare that to buying everything separately and you’re up near 5.5k.

My car is a garage queen, does not see rain or any type of weather, basically a weekend driver that maybe sees a trip or 2 of few hundred miles per year. Do not drive in temps below 50 degrees.

If I had my choice I would go for the 4s like I’ve had in the past (F80, F97), but given my use of the car, would Cup 2’s be that bad? I’m mainly worried about ride quality (I love the ride as it sits with OEM Super Sports and Eibach springs) and kicking rocks up.

Any input would be appreciated.
Bro, you are a Cup240 poster boy. You need that tire.

Just remember that they won't last as long, will get louder quicker, and if you get caught in a rainstorm when they are worn you better just park it.

I don't find them too harsh if the mileage is less than 10K, and I'm covered in PPF so I have no worries on the rocks.

For your application there is no other tire I'd rather you have, and I'm a tire wh0re!

Holy Trinity. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:43 AM   #8
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post

The issue is, I’m looking at an economical way into 763m wheels and the best deal by far is the matte black/Cup 2 set that you can get mounted, balanced, ready to go for around 4k shipped from sites like getbmwparts.
I got this set up and I'm on my second summer as of last week.

Love'em (240s) and will use till they wear out then PS4s it is.

I had some initial concerns but the deal was too good to pass...($5k Canadian) and they look great...

Rarely go out in the rain but funny enough had no choice yesterday (cold and rainy) and they did slip around but quite controllable compared to the GT3 I took out with 180s in the rain (I was praying non stop)...lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:43 AM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

///MPhatic I was hoping you’d chime in, but I’ll be honest I did not expect you to recommend this tire for my application! I think we use our M2s similarly…can you touch on the pebbles/rocks being thrown around and your prevention for that, if any? Also, what is your honest opinion on the ride quality differences vs. stock Super Sports? If it’s 20% stiffer, I have no issue, but if it’s 50%, that would give me pause.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 07:56 PM   #10
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

If Mphatic is telling you to get cup2s then you should pull the trigger. You might be the first 100% cup2 endorsement He gives sound advice. I agree that you are the ideal candidate for these tires.