BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Late to the party!

01-29-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
Adi_D
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Late to the party!

I just recently purchased a 2021 M2C with the special content package and 10K miles. Since then, I have been using Bimmerpost information to make a number of upgrades, so thought it would be fun to make this post.

I picked up the car from a dealer in December, driving it home in the snow, which was "fun". Over the last month I have made a number of the usual cosmetic changes (interior and exterior carbon pieces - maybe went overboard with that), badging, wheel studs, etc.

The car serves primarily as a daily driver, but will be used a few weekends a year at the track, mainly to drive with my wife and her Boxster GTS 4.0. My actual track car is a 997.2 Cup Car, so comparatively the M2 will be mildly modified at best.

The remaining "big" upgrades coming up are an exhaust, likely just the Akra axle back, and suspension, either Ohlins or MPS, as the stock suspension is definitely lacking in so many ways.

A few pics to document the journey...

Exterior:
Name:  IMG_7071.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  305.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7074.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  549.7 KB
Name:  IMG_7076.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  530.0 KB
Name:  IMG_7061.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  339.0 KB

Interior:
Name:  IMG_7009.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  214.0 KB
Name:  IMG_7019.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  232.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7021.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  241.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7058.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  357.3 KB
Name:  IMG_6959.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  217.1 KB

Quick picture of my wife's car and the Cup!
Name:  ETDLaguna5-8-2021-M081-8581.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  697.8 KB
Name:  IMG_3731.JPG
Views: 938
Size:  534.4 KB
Name:  IMG_4769.JPG
Views: 962
Size:  1.06 MB
Name:  IMG_4422.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  1.29 MB

Last edited by Adi_D; 01-30-2023 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 19
      01-29-2023, 07:09 PM   #2
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Nice stable! Welcome sir!
      01-29-2023, 07:22 PM   #3
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Love the Cup car. Welcome to the fold.
      01-29-2023, 07:32 PM   #4
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Welcome! Nice garage. How do you get your Cup car to the track?

Ohlins TTX are a transformative upgrade. I am running them with soft spring rates, and the handling is now comparable to my 981 GT4 with better ride quality. I suggest skipping the Ohlins DFVs if your basis for comparison is the Porsche Cup and GTS 4.0. I tried the DFVs and ended up selling them. The DFVs will not be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the additional NVH.

Last edited by smmmurf; 01-29-2023 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 09:41 PM   #5
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
First drive home through the snow. That must’ve given you some good stories to tell!

Welcome! Lovely M2!

And those lights in the garage photo are something else!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 10:20 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Nice fleet of cars! Looking forward to hearing your feedback regarding the M2
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 11:02 AM   #7
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

congrats and welcome, interested in hearing your thoughts on the M2 vs the GTS 4.0 in terms of enjoyment on the street. I moved from a M2C to a GTS 4.0 and often debate which one is actually more fun on the street.
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      01-30-2023, 01:24 PM   #8
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Lovely fleet. Welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 03:03 PM   #9
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Welcome! Love the collection and the new addition.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 04:47 PM   #10
Adi_D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Nice stable! Welcome sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Love the Cup car. Welcome to the fold.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Welcome! Nice garage. How do you get your Cup car to the track?

Ohlins TTX are a transformative upgrade. I am running them with soft spring rates, and the handling is now comparable to my 981 GT4 with better ride quality. I suggest skipping the Ohlins DFVs if your basis for comparison is the Porsche Cup and GTS 4.0. I tried the DFVs and ended up selling them. The DFVs will not be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the additional NVH.
I was towing the car with a Featherlite trailer and the Cayenne GTS. The Cup car has Penske racing suspension, but something like that, or TTX may be overkill for my application honestly, since the car sits in traffic most of the time. MCS 2 way would be as high as I would go. Really just looking for something more sophisticated than the OEM setup - probably the most disappointing aspect of the car for me.

Name:  IMG_2212.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  1.71 MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
First drive home through the snow. That must’ve given you some good stories to tell!

Welcome! Lovely M2!

And those lights in the garage photo are something else!
Thanks! I am very much still getting used to the torque and lack of traction in the first two gears. In the snow it was even more exciting.

Funny you noticed the lights! That was a an upgrade I did last year...they are 15x8 feet each and cover the entire garage so there is no shaded area. I detail the cars for relaxation and always wanted such lighting. Only downside is that at night they are pretty bright, so hope it does not disturb the neighbors.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  211.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Nice fleet of cars! Looking forward to hearing your feedback regarding the M2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
congrats and welcome, interested in hearing your thoughts on the M2 vs the GTS 4.0 in terms of enjoyment on the street. I moved from a M2C to a GTS 4.0 and often debate which one is actually more fun on the street.
Need a bit more seat time and track time to compare, but the Boxster definitely feels more like a purpose built sports car in many ways, where as the M2 is more comfortable and definitely has a huge illogical fun factor, which is always great for a daily experience.

Strangely enough my absolute favorite "daily" is our TRX. Unfortunately it does not fit in the garage at work...

Name:  trx.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  1.71 MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Lovely fleet. Welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Welcome! Love the collection and the new addition.
Thanks!
Appreciate 3
baege1320.50
ROASTM162.50
      01-30-2023, 07:05 PM   #11
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Awesome garage!! M2 comp is a great sweet spot for a DD IMHO, provided you're willing to put up with the ride. Provides all the dumb grins of a pony car in a MUCH more tidy and composed package.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 09:30 PM   #12
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_D View Post
I was towing the car with a Featherlite trailer and the Cayenne GTS. The Cup car has Penske racing suspension, but something like that, or TTX may be overkill for my application honestly, since the car sits in traffic most of the time. MCS 2 way would be as high as I would go. Really just looking for something more sophisticated than the OEM setup
I’ve tracked MCS 1WNR on a friend’s M2 Competition. They work very well on track with stiff rates recommended by our local BMW race shop (TC Design). However, they are much harsher compared to the original suspension, especially on GC “street” camber plates that rattle and transmit a lot of vibration to the cabin. My friend regrets the purchase since his car is mostly a daily driver.

I read that the higher end MCS remote shocks have different valving that make them more supple. Perhaps a coilover shock that works with the isolated rubber OEM top mounts will work well for mostly street driving in traffic. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 11:47 PM   #13
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Love the interior pieces! love the OEM-ness of everything you've done.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 09:48 AM   #14
IcewaterPete
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Welcome! I like your carbon and badging additions. I too will be interested to hear how you improve the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #15
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Nice garage! Do you mind sharing more info on the lift setup you used, it looks like it's not bolted down. Interested to hear your feedback on the Akra, I'm considering it too but haven't done the jump yet, still 100% stock on my end.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 05:04 PM   #16
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Congratulations!
      02-01-2023, 09:17 PM   #17
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Nice garage! Do you mind sharing more info on the lift setup you used, it looks like it's not bolted down.
Not the OP here, but that’s the QuickJack system he is using - if you’re somewhat mechanically inclined, it’s one of the best investments you can do for your garage! I simply love mine…
      02-01-2023, 09:19 PM   #18
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Dang OP…you’re a smooth operator sir!
      02-02-2023, 11:48 AM   #19
Adi_D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Awesome garage!! M2 comp is a great sweet spot for a DD IMHO, provided you're willing to put up with the ride. Provides all the dumb grins of a pony car in a MUCH more tidy and composed package.
Agree! Something silly and fun about it...enjoying it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
I’ve tracked MCS 1WNR on a friend’s M2 Competition. They work very well on track with stiff rates recommended by our local BMW race shop (TC Design). However, they are much harsher compared to the original suspension, especially on GC “street” camber plates that rattle and transmit a lot of vibration to the cabin. My friend regrets the purchase since his car is mostly a daily driver.

I read that the higher end MCS remote shocks have different valving that make them more supple. Perhaps a coilover shock that works with the isolated rubber OEM top mounts will work well for mostly street driving in traffic. Good luck!
I think you are spot on...my fear is that single adjustment coilovers would not have the appropriate range to go between track focused on street soft, while the 2 way ones with external reservoirs would have that adjustment but at significantly higher costs - realistically with all set-up and installed it is ~$10K investment. I did drive a GT4 with MCS 2 ways to the track and back and it was pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Love the interior pieces! love the OEM-ness of everything you've done.
Thanks - I enjoyed the modification process very much, especially since it was all self-installed. I did realize that the cabin looks much darker with all the dry carbon. Only thing contrasting the cabin are those special package seats, which I was not crazy about to begin with, but now work OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
Welcome! I like your carbon and badging additions. I too will be interested to hear how you improve the suspension.
Honestly, I may go the "easy" route and just try the MPS with camber plates. I would expect a 15-25% improvement primarily from the likely superior damping. The springs seem close enough to OEM to not make a huge difference. The cost of those also seems fairly reasonable for trying to make this minor improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Nice garage! Do you mind sharing more info on the lift setup you used, it looks like it's not bolted down. Interested to hear your feedback on the Akra, I'm considering it too but haven't done the jump yet, still 100% stock on my end.
As someone mentioned it is a portable Quickjack lift. Costco has them often on sale and they are fairly practical as they can be stored away in a vertical position. They can get the car high enough to do most of the maintenance work you would want to do on your own. I will eventually install a full lift, but have not fully configured the garage space yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks! You guys are dangerous...the user friendly website layout made it very easy to spend good $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Dang OP…you’re a smooth operator sir!
Hah, thanks! Luckily for me, my wife is into cars and is sort of an enabler...makes the whole process a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #20
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Where the heck in San Francisco are you that the houses are that big and with 3 car garages too? :P
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:20 PM   #21
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_D View Post
I think you are spot on...my fear is that single adjustment coilovers would not have the appropriate range to go between track focused on street soft, while the 2 way ones with external reservoirs would have that adjustment but at significantly higher costs - realistically with all set-up and installed it is ~$10K investment. I did drive a GT4 with MCS 2 ways to the track and back and it was pretty good.
I think you're pretty spot on here unless one enjoys frivolous spending. You want something that is going to perform better than stock on the street and then be able to function at the track if so asked. I think that's where the Öhlins Road & Track work very well because the Dual Flow Valve (DFV) acts like something of a blow off to help with higher-speed compression hits on the road but still provide good spring control. I had this setup previously and it worked extremely well, and have since switched to a TTX because the car is primarily for track at this point.

I had the out of the box Road & Track setup, but 3DM Motorsport offers a setup that many people love which is built around a reduced spring rate and custom valving. For your use-case, I would strongly consider this. I'd personally prefer a single adjustment knob and linear springs to the M-performance KW setup.

Full disclosure, I am an Öhlins fan and 3DM built my TTX setup
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #22
Adi_D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Where the heck in San Francisco are you that the houses are that big and with 3 car garages too? :P
Unfortunately that was the problem No way to have the house and a 4 car garage...now in the Carolinas, so instead of Laguna and Sonoma I get to drive Road Atlanta and VIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
I think you're pretty spot on here unless one enjoys frivolous spending. You want something that is going to perform better than stock on the street and then be able to function at the track if so asked. I think that's where the Öhlins Road & Track work very well because the Dual Flow Valve (DFV) acts like something of a blow off to help with higher-speed compression hits on the road but still provide good spring control. I had this setup previously and it worked extremely well, and have since switched to a TTX because the car is primarily for track at this point.

I had the out of the box Road & Track setup, but 3DM Motorsport offers a setup that many people love which is built around a reduced spring rate and custom valving. For your use-case, I would strongly consider this. I'd personally prefer a single adjustment knob and linear springs to the M-performance KW setup.

Full disclosure, I am an Öhlins fan and 3DM built my TTX setup
Really good points! I talked to Barry as he is somewhat local to me and his R&T setup seems pretty sweet. It is a bit more costly than MPS but likely superior. My main reservation with MPS is the progressive spring up front, which I really don't like. I need to find the time to purchase and install it all "soon".
Appreciate 0