BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Car and Driver M2 Competition instrumented tested

02-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #89
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io View Post
"One car has the motor from a 335i and the other has the M4 engine, do you really even need to start each vehicle, let alone race them to figure out which one is faster"

Your hurt me a lot, bro, by comparing my beloved M2 to a plebeian 335i
I leave this thread forever!
Not trying to start a dispute, "trolling" or trying to hurt anyone's feelings but merely just keeping it real, as I'm just a stickler for getting it right and since I have the same car with the 'plebeian' motor, I'm also objective.

I just have a hard time believing that the M2 is "faster" than the more powerful M2C. The M2 only feels faster off the line because its boost is more front-loaded, which as a result, gives you that eager thrust at first but unfortunately causes it to run out of breath at higher speeds/RPMs, due to its limitations.

Observe the video below and you'll see the M2 blowing its load early on and passes the 235i (sorry but with the same engine as the M2) but towards the end, it runs out of steam as the 235i's power output is more linear towards the top.. It's all in the factor tuning...

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:21 AM   #90
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Not trying to start a dispute, "trolling" or trying to hurt anyone's feelings but merely just keeping it real, as I'm just a stickler for getting it right and since I have the same car with the 'plebeian' motor, I'm also objective.

I just have a hard time believing that the M2 is "faster" than the more powerful M2C. The M2 only feels faster off the line because its boost is more front-loaded, which as a result, gives you that eager thrust at first but unfortunately causes it to run out of breath at higher speeds/RPMs, due to its limitations.

Observe the video below and you'll see the M2 blowing its load early on and passes the 235i (sorry but with the same engine as the M2) but towards the end, it runs out of steam as the 235i's power output is more linear towards the top.. It's all in the factor tuning...

Those DUTCH cartesters know how to do it, don't they.

Anyway.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not acquinted with nor connected with those guys.
I sometimes drive that same route that's all.

Also: It's just a fun test.

@ about 39-40s you see the OG M2 doing 40s-52s 100-200kmh.

12s 100-200kmh

And at LEAST 1s 200-210, 97-209 in 15s

M2C will do 100-200kmh in about 10 as stated by almost everybody or now it doesn't?

And this is exactly how my OG M2 felt above 180kmh:

Yes it is just my (gut)feel, but so are assumptions that 60-130mph can't be done 3s slower than M2C if you didn't drive both. Or what?

This is just for good fun, just finding out what it is. I don't know everything, I assume a lot.

Etcetera. Don't shoot me for actually not being 100% wrong.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:07 AM   #91
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

And this is exactly how my OG M2 felt above 180kmh:

This is what I'm delicately trying to convey; the N55 motor was never built for such high-aspirations, such as being dogged to the speed governor, it's was designed for more linear power delivery, such as the regular series duty.

The S55 was built for a more high-performance i.e. stress applications, hence the reason it has two of everything (turbos, fuel pumps, exhaust piping, etc) to balance out being overtaxed, at the limit. Hence the reason it's the "faster" motor, in the grand scheme of things.

Unfortunately, some M2 owners take it personal and assume you're bashing their vehicle because you're spitting facts and not stroking each other's ego.

I assure you that no one is trying to diss your race car baby

We're merely here discussing the nuances and technical abilities of both machines.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8710.00
MDuckie93.00
      02-27-2019, 01:44 AM   #92
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

M2C a race car? Lol it's a sporty street car , 3 laps on Assen Moto GP and my stock brakes are gone. But it won't be going into limp mode like my former stock OG M2 did several times.

I have issues with the M2C pricetag difference in my country vs OG M2 (roughly 20k euros), but since my OG M2 was>2 years old and out of warranty, I was a bit semi nervous of what to expect in the oncoming months with that engine.

And I always wanted the S55 so much( and it shows doesn't it) since I drove a few M4 for a couple of days.

Cow udder, front grille, sound etc. they're not issues in my book. I just wanted a 3 year warranty car which was more capable of stressful track/driftdays/hard driving on Autobahn.

And the first miles I drive my M2C I already knew it was faster in midrange 3000-5000 pulling really harder than my already 2 year old 30k km OG M2.

From 0-60 it's the same(traction issues) but for the rest? But hey that's my opinion just like everybody else has stated their opinion here.

I find M2C heavy, but I also find OG M2 heavy compared to my ex 1M....
M2C you have to go 8.5-9/10 to get that //M feel.
OG M2 you had to go 7.5-8/10 to get that same feel.(That's a compliment)
1M: When you only started the damn thing and just drove away you already were totally submerged into that //M feel.....

There are a few things I wanted different on my M2C vs OG M2, but an aftermarket Remus/ Lightweight exhaust will do(I had MPE on my OG)
And I sometimes miss my LBB colour.
But for the rest:S55....sorry.

We're all on the same (big fat)boat!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00
      02-27-2019, 01:55 AM   #93
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io View Post
Cool, buddy, we're all on the same side here on this forum. If it matters so much to you that the M2C is much faster than the M2, then we'll all pretend that it is the case. We'll even ask the main car journals to publish only results going into that direction
Why compare figures from different magazines in different times and days and in different conditions?

To look at how much faster the S55 M2C is in a drag, fast forward to 3:56 and watch the race...same day, same time and on the same track, stock vs stock

Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8710.00
      02-27-2019, 05:21 AM   #94
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Funny that some people just look at some figures and say wow, the S55 and the N55 only differs by x seconds. In reality it's much more because of heat soaking.

The twin turbo in the M2C is running well within the compressor's maximum efficiency range. The N55's smallish single twin-scroll turbo is already at the max of the compressor's maximum efficiency range. So the S55 M2C has lots more power reserve where as the N55 has little, resulting in worst power consistency.

If we compare cooling system between the two platforms we can see another reason for why the S55 power consistency is much higher. The S55 is engineered to have a much higher engine heat dissipation capacity.
Attached Images

Last edited by Karmic Man; 02-27-2019 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #95
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
The S58 should have been in the OG M2 since day one.
The S58 isn't even out in a production car now in Feb 2019, it probably wasn't even fully designed in 2015 when the 2016 M2's were being built.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #96
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Stepped in to delete a couple of recently posted toxic posts in this thread.

Try to keep the discussion respectful. Agree to disagree. Avoid name-calling and don't get carried away & all worked up by provocative comments.

Name:  Cats_Restrained.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  81.6 KB
Poochie9103.00
bri10425878.50
clee1982797.50
      02-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #97
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
The S58 isn't even out in a production car now in Feb 2019, it probably wasn't even fully designed in 2015 when the 2016 M2's were being built.
He was being sarcastic
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #98
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
It was a joke. This is commonly said about the N55 when the S55 was added to the competition model.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #99
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
C&D are a bunch of liars and they don't know sh1t about the subject. I stand corrected. An OG M2 never will be that slow like 19.1 to 130mph even in the worst conditions possible.

And the M2Comp doing a 3.4 secs faster laptime @ Magny Course vs OG M2:
Just not true. Just can't be. Or can it?

Stupid mainstream media with their fake news.

There is a UK video with some OG M2 and M2C and Alfa 4C in it, accellerating a few times from standstill to at least 120mph The M2C with some very very bad starts crushes the OG M2. I really think they manipulated that video with some special fx.

Anyway I do'nt know who and what to believe and I'm not only being sarcastic but also a bit confused. Not kidding. What is true and what not....

But someone who never had the honour to drive both OG and M2C I tend to believe more easily than C& D. That's for sure.

Cheers
Robin
Nobody is calling C/D a liar, just wondering about the test result.

As for Magny lap time, latest Pam Turbo accelerate the same as previous gen, have similar HP, and yet the latest Pam Turbo is a lot faster in lap times. There a lot of factors goes into lap time, chassis and suspension improvement makes a big difference.

I'm only talking about straight line performance, no point throwing in lap time. And you mentioned you think M2C's ring time is a lot faster because of the straights, and yet in the two longest and highest speed straight, M2C is only 3km/h and 4km/h faster. So where is the high speed superiority you are talking about?

Oh well, maybe SA just had an extra fast OG M2, certainly possible. Since SA has mentioned the M5 they got for supertest is unusually fast.

I don't know if you still have the OG M2, but maybe you should have someone drive it and race both!
Appreciate 0