BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Ask a Pro Detailer from Detailer's Domain

11-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #89
SupraSaiyan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT Stripper AW/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
DIY?

I like Nanolex SI3D HD for the pro installed products.

For the diy we will have Nanolex SI Shield shorty.
Yeah DIY. Great I'll order that from dd.com!

Do you recommend any sort of protectant/sealant on the m2 seats? I still have the factory plastic bag on after taking delivery and straight into my garage lol
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #90
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
The only shop in town with a good rep is an opti-coat pro+ authorized dealer. What is their best coating or the best value for the money coating they offer and any drawbacks to the seemingly popular nanolex si3d or the 22ple type stuff i'm seeing commonly posted on here?
Can I get your thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #91
ohnnyj
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Hello.

Coming in here a bit late and as a total noob. Have to admit that all this talk about ceramic coatings, sealants, various waxes, multitude of brands, etc. is a bit intimidating. This is my first "nice" car, never had to pay so much attention to how I keep my car clean.

From what I can gather (please correct me if I am wrong) the most important things to remember would be:

- Use two (or three) bucket method for washing.
- Use microfiber towels.
- Coating / sealing is not necessary but adds extra protection / longevity between washes?

I have a couple questions:

What is the best way to avoid scratches in between washes? If my windows, or parts of the car are a bit dirty but don't warrant a full wash.

How often do you guys wash / wax? I know it depends partly on how much you drive it. For me it's my DD at about 250 miles / week so I'm figuring a little more often. I have yet to wash it, have about 800 miles on the odometer but starting to see the dirt build up.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #92
kevlac
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Convertible

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss on a Convertible Top

Is there any harm on using Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss on a convertible top? I have heard great things about this car wash. Though I have dedicated top cleaning products, I know it will inevitably get on the top during a wash. I want to make sure it is safe first before I use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #93
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnnyj View Post
Hello.

Coming in here a bit late and as a total noob. Have to admit that all this talk about ceramic coatings, sealants, various waxes, multitude of brands, etc. is a bit intimidating. This is my first "nice" car, never had to pay so much attention to how I keep my car clean.

From what I can gather (please correct me if I am wrong) the most important things to remember would be:

- Use two (or three) bucket method for washing.
- Use microfiber towels.
- Coating / sealing is not necessary but adds extra protection / longevity between washes?

I have a couple questions:

What is the best way to avoid scratches in between washes? If my windows, or parts of the car are a bit dirty but don't warrant a full wash.

How often do you guys wash / wax? I know it depends partly on how much you drive it. For me it's my DD at about 250 miles / week so I'm figuring a little more often. I have yet to wash it, have about 800 miles on the odometer but starting to see the dirt build up.

Thanks.

I recommend to get the car coated as this will provide much easier maintenance for washing and keeps the car cleaner. On top of that it's like a permanent wax so you don't have to wax the car if you have coating on it. It will always have that deep gloss look to it. However coating is the most expensive option but I would say it's worth it. I posted a thread about coating you might want to check out.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1315358
Appreciate 1
ohnnyj24.00
      11-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #94
ohnnyj
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Thank you DCHOI, those links were very helpful!
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      11-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #95
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlac View Post
Is there any harm on using Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss on a convertible top? I have heard great things about this car wash. Though I have dedicated top cleaning products, I know it will inevitably get on the top during a wash. I want to make sure it is safe first before I use it.
it should not affect it but if you have a dedicated top cleaner I would use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #96
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can I get your thoughts on this?
are you against doing it yourself? If not there are many good products, if you have a preference and you need to get a detailer to do so you can always ask if he's willing to install it for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #97
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan View Post
Yeah DIY. Great I'll order that from dd.com!

Do you recommend any sort of protectant/sealant on the m2 seats? I still have the factory plastic bag on after taking delivery and straight into my garage lol
for the interior you can use

Nanolex Interior Cleaner and Nanolex Textile and Leather Sealant
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #98
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Does clay harm a vehicle with ceramic coating?
you should take care when claying a car with a coating it can still mar the coating. so be careful. what car are you working on and have you considered using a decon product like Nanolex Wheel Cleaner and Iron Remover?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #99
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
DetailersDomain I'm taking delivery this December at the Performance Delivery Center and I'm about to do a full-front XPEL. Should I be concerned about prepping the car first? The detailer has at most a full day to get this done.

I wanted to do a full XPEL when I get back from another trip. Was wondering if this is worth it right now or I should wait, drive the car 800 miles. Clean it, prep it myself and then drive to a closer shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #100
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Honestly I would give the shop 1.5-2 days unless he's confident he can do it in 1 full day. I like to see how the film is after it sits overnight. I would do it before you drive the 800 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #101
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Honestly I would give the shop 1.5-2 days unless he's confident he can do it in 1 full day. I like to see how the film is after it sits overnight. I would do it before you drive the 800 miles.
If we are talking about extreme colors, they take about a day and a half. I was told if I drop off in the afternoon after performance center delivery (about 3:30) I should have it back by the next evening. Hoping that seems reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #102
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

because they now have to repaint my front bumper because they drilled holes into it for the front plate which they were not supposed to do - how long do I have to let the freshly painted bumper sit before I can put xpel and a coating on that?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #103
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
because they now have to repaint my front bumper because they drilled holes into it for the front plate which they were not supposed to do - how long do I have to let the freshly painted bumper sit before I can put xpel and a coating on that?
ugh sorry to hear that. if they do a good job with it by removing all the paint and fixing it properly about 30-60 days.

If they do a quick job with the paint the clear film installer can possibly pull the paint when installing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #104
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ugh sorry to hear that. if they do a good job with it by removing all the paint and fixing it properly about 30-60 days.

If they do a quick job with the paint the clear film installer can possibly pull the paint when installing it.
Wow what an absolute brutal result for two little drill holes. Now I not only have to paint a brand new factory finish bumper which will never be as perfect a match to the rest of the car but I also have to leave the bumper unprotected for almost two months??! So after two months of driving with little knicks and chips I then can put film over top of that?

So best possible solution would then be to have them order a bumper and have them paint it and store it for two months and then have them put the Xpel on that new bumper and then install that on the car? Am i right?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #105
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow what an absolute brutal result for two little drill holes. Now I not only have to paint a brand new factory finish bumper which will never be as perfect a match to the rest of the car but I also have to leave the bumper unprotected for almost two months??! So after two months of driving with little knicks and chips I then can put film over top of that?

So best possible solution would then be to have them order a bumper and have them paint it and store it for two months and then have them put the Xpel on that new bumper and then install that on the car? Am i right?
yes or don't drive it, sorry I'm a bit more ocd then most. also I would make sure the dealer agrees that if the film pulls the paint, they are responsible to repaint it for you at their (the dealer's) expense.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #106
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yes or don't drive it, sorry I'm a bit more ocd then most. also I would make sure the dealer agrees that if the film pulls the paint, they are responsible to repaint it for you at their (the dealer's) expense.
Thanks so much for the advice as I am ocd about my car as well hence why these two little drill holes seem like the end of the world to me.

I am curious though if paint has to 'cure' for 2-3 months before applying xpel how are new cars right off the boat and delivered going for ppf and coatings? They are produced and painted in the factory and shipped and there is no way that paint sits for 3 months before the car gets delivered to the owner... is there?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #107
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice as I am ocd about my car as well hence why these two little drill holes seem like the end of the world to me.

I am curious though if paint has to 'cure' for 2-3 months before applying xpel how are new cars right off the boat and delivered going for ppf and coatings? They are produced and painted in the factory and shipped and there is no way that paint sits for 3 months before the car gets delivered to the owner... is there?
I posted this on another topic thread with my source from FAQ PPF shop.

What should I consider when installing film on repainted surfaces?
Repainted surfaces can be a touchy subject as it is not as durable as the factory finish. Factory finishes are baked onto the surface at 350+ degrees which allows a much harder surface and better cohesion bond. Repainted surfaces can be baked only at 150 degrees to prevent damage to the vehicles components and therefore the surface can be more susceptible to lifting, however, if it is a quality job then the burden of concern should not be so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #108
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

factory paint is cured much quicker than a body shop, besides most cars or German cars can sit at port between 2-6 weeks before it gets to the states.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #109
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
@DetailersDomain not sure if asked before but what do you recommend to clean the tailpipes to remove the carbon deposit from them?
      11-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #110
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BAN View Post
@DetailersDomain not sure if asked before but what do you recommend to clean the tailpipes to remove the carbon deposit from them?
I use a metal polish and a dremel.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50