BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Check Engine Light Question

02-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
NOS4A2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Check Engine Light Question

Hey All,

Long time listener first time caller. So my '20 M2C just rolled 7600 miles and I turned it on tonight to see a check engine light.

Nothing out of the ordinary about how the car behaves but what I'm curious about is that I kind of expected something in the Notification Center to start going off. Is that a reasonable assumption or is that only under specific errors/problems?

Shooting to go to dealer tomorrow and updating thread with what ever they find.

Car is stock expect for MP Suspension dealer installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Did you look up the error on the iDrive screen? I've only had one error, for a tail light short on my M235i, and that did generate a message as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
NOS4A2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Did you look up the error on the iDrive screen? I've only had one error, for a tail light short on my M235i, and that did generate a message as well.
The iDrive Vehicle status had no notifications or errors. Wonder if it's related to the cold, it's been in the low 30s here but I drive the car daily. Don't observe anything different.

Wish I had a reader so at least I know what code is being thrown.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
NOS4A2
Private
Rep

Just looked over the online manual for the car and what I normally consider a CEL light is labeled 'Emissions'

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS4A2 View Post
Just looked over the online manual for the car and what I normally consider a CEL light is labeled 'Emissions'

OP, I've had 2 CELs after 24k miles. First time was due to low quality gas. Second time was due to gas cap not being tightened properly after fill up.

First time it happened, I freaked out and immediately called the dealer. The service gal I spoke to sort of laughed and said, "Did you put on your gas cap properly?" My understanding is that this is one of those issues where if you don't feel any change in power or response, it is almost certainly due to something extremely minor, like loose gas cap.
Appreciate 1
Tag17935.50
      02-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Not all faults will show up in iDrive. When the car is powered off and locked it goes to sleep mode after roughly 10m and the next time you start the car the CEL will be gone and will only resurface if it gets triggered again. So long as you don't see any distinct warnings in iDrive you can continue to drive the car without concern. The dealer will be able to scan and see what's causing the CEL's.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
NOS4A2
Private
Rep

Thanks for putting me at ease a little. First BMW car, I did check the gas cap this am before turning it on and still got the CEL(emission).

It's at the dealer now so I'll get an update sometime tomorrow they said. In the meanwhile, x5 loaner!

I'd rather this kind of stuff happen earlier than later as I shake the car down before I start looking at applying tunes more seriously.

At first I was going to just go in @ 10k with a decent proven tune but maybe I wait until 15k... just in case.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #8
NOS4A2
Private
Rep

Update: Got car back, service advisor said said the there was an instance of misfire but when they cleared it and ran tests. The code has not re-appeared.

Was told that it should not re-appear and drive it like normal.

Verbatim from invoice:
```
HOOKED UP BATTERY CHANGER 12.4V. PERFORMED SHORT TEST. FOUND FAULTS FOR MISFIRE. RAN TEST PLAN. TEST PLAN FOUND NO FAULTS. DELETED FAULT MEMORY. TEST DROVE VEHICLE FOR 10 MILE.
```
Thanks for the responses by the way! If nothing else goes wrong this post can one day serve as someone's search result on a similar issue.

Toasting a whiskey to a long and gremlin free existence for this car going forward.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      02-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS4A2 View Post
Was told that it should not re-appear and drive it like normal.

Verbatim from invoice:
```
HOOKED UP BATTERY CHANGER 12.4V. PERFORMED SHORT TEST. FOUND FAULTS FOR MISFIRE. RAN TEST PLAN. TEST PLAN FOUND NO FAULTS. DELETED FAULT MEMORY. TEST DROVE VEHICLE FOR 10 MILE.
```
So they haven't got a clue what it is in other words...

The car equivalent of "turn it off and on again".

Seriously, my 10 year old daughter could have run their vehicle test routine. "Press start to test" is about as tough as it gets. Even i can do it

If it's happened once I'll bet it will happen again for sure. With respect, they just gave you the corporate script / BS spin. Could be the cold / damp but there'll be an underlying defect somewhere, cracked plug, dodgy coil pack, moisture ingress etc. These cars are tested relentlessly at -30 / -40 degc for weeks on end in arctic Scandinavia during development so its not "normal" to misfire with a bit of frost.

If you're going to tune you need diagnostics capability of your own (or a good local Indy).

You can't rely on bmw then.

Last edited by doughboy; 02-18-2020 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      02-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

They'll always reset an error that's not easily reproducible and see if it comes back. They are just troubleshooting the issue. If he keeps getting misfires they'll replace the spark plug for the misfiring cylinder, if he's still having misfires they'll then replace the coil pack. If the issue persists they'll look at the injectors, rest of the fuel system etc. Some dealers don't even do that, they just identify the cylinder having a misfire, say cylinder 3 and swap the plug and pack with another cylinder to see if the misfires "moves". If it does it means it's a bad plug and/or pack. If the misfire stays it's something else such as the fuel system.

The main thing is that the dealer has this issue on record and is addressing it.
Appreciate 1
F80_Katz760.00
      02-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Exactly, but they're never honest about it just being stage 1 of the fault finding process.

I suppose it keeps customer happy for a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #12
NOS4A2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
They'll always reset an error that's not easily reproducible and see if it comes back. They are just troubleshooting the issue. If he keeps getting misfires they'll replace the spark plug for the misfiring cylinder, if he's still having misfires they'll then replace the coil pack. If the issue persists they'll look at the injectors, rest of the fuel system etc. Some dealers don't even do that, they just identify the cylinder having a misfire, say cylinder 3 and swap the plug and pack with another cylinder to see if the misfires "moves". If it does it means it's a bad plug and/or pack. If the misfire stays it's something else such as the fuel system.

The main thing is that the dealer has this issue on record and is addressing it.
That's kind of where I am at. I'm just gonna keep enjoying the car and hope it doesn't re-appear. If it does, I have a documentation trail established.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
DStinson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2 Comp, Porsche Macan GTS

I had it happen at 600 miles. It was bad gas an cleared itself. Damn thing just came back on yesterday. Filled with the highest octane I could find and I am not worrying about it. If it doesn't clear soon I will take it in. I think these cars are just sensitive to fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:27 PM   #14
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Yikes what sort of gas are you guys getting?

I run Shell V-Power 93 or if I'm feeling lazy, Costco Premium 93 (which is still pretty good).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #15
NOS4A2
Private
Rep

I normally run shell but there's also Sunoco which I'm not sure of quality-wise. But I haven't had the light re-appear since.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:43 AM   #16
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

all top tier gas is the same I thought?
Appreciate 0