BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Right turn signal malfunction

Closed Thread

06-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #67
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I forgot to update. The dealership took out the headlight and inspected it, found nothing wrong. They told me it was likely a coding errors. Which I doubt it is because I haven't coded the car in 1.5yrs and the error just popped up a week ago, also returning to factory coding still got the error. I feel like they took the easy way out by blaming it on the coding. Anyway, it ended with us deciding to come back in if it happens again for further diagnosis. So far it hasn't happened again.

While there, I also showed them a service bulletin for the taillights. I didn't get a chance to read the bulletin too much, but I showed it as a possible cause. Though it seems like the bulletin is related to the mounting brackets cracking on the taillight. I'm wondering if there is a spot that could get cracked and allow water to seep in. Not sure and not gonna look into it unless I get the error again.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #68
M2_Purist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

This is really annoying and quite a nuisance! Had my rear right tail light replaced on my 2018 LCI last year due to hyperflash and “malfunctioning turn signal” warning, but now it happened on the left side. It went away after the next few left turns, but still... now paranoid this will continue randomly throughout the time I own it!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #69
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_Purist View Post
This is really annoying and quite a nuisance! Had my rear right tail light replaced on my 2018 LCI last year due to hyperflash and “malfunctioning turn signal” warning, but now it happened on the left side. It went away after the next few left turns, but still... now paranoid this will continue randomly throughout the time I own it!
It's a feature. When the turn signal blinks hyperfast, means you have to take the turn hyper fast.

Jokes aside, I totally understand. With all these ppl here with the issue, I'm surprised there is no service bulletin for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:16 AM   #70
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

The fast flashing is a deliberate feature of the light controller when a faulty light is detected.

It's to simulate older cars where a faulty indicator made the the thermal flasher run faster. In my experience many cars do this.

This way its a constant reminder you have a failed turn signal. (Or it thinks you have a fault)

But back to this issue. I removed the tail light which gets wet behind on the f87, the plug was wet. I dried the plug, degreaed with alcohol spray then put a few drops of WD40 on it to keep moisture out.

No burned pins, no issue for 2 days / 150 miles...

Fingers crossed
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #71
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

And mine came back on. It rained hard today which is hasn't done since I had the dealer look at it. He refuses to treat it as a water related issue though because he didn't see corrosion... ugh.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 03:27 AM   #72
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
And mine came back on. It rained hard today which is hasn't done since I had the dealer look at it. He refuses to treat it as a water related issue though because he didn't see corrosion... ugh.
Time to get "creative" and give them good reason to replace the tail lights, under the warranty.

I can suggest a few that worked for me but this forum can be judgmental, so instead you're going to have to read between the lines..

If you want to pay out of pocket, new US spec tail lights go for was low as $200, per side.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 03:52 AM   #73
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Next time use a dab of Dielectric grease instead of WD40.

It's better at repelling water and inhibiting corrosion
It is a better long term solution yes . I'll get a tube and do the light connectors on both sides next week.

Mine's been fine since I cleand and dried the connector, seems to be a moisture ingress issue perhaps?

Last edited by doughboy; 06-30-2019 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #74
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I got this malfunction notification twice in the same day last Monday. Not sure if I want to be bothered taking the thing to the dealer on Friday when they have a loaner for me or just wait until it is completely f—'d.

I just dont want them to replace the entire housing and make me have to replace the golden wrench overlays again(Twice in 60 days) like when they did my left one for condensation.(ordered another set and I dropped the right one in a puddle so I'd need a 3rd set now)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 01:36 AM   #75
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Just saw this thread & was surprised to find out this is pretty common (and, let's face it, pretty lame ) - and here for the past few months I thought this little issue was just a fluke on my car that I see regularly tho not constantly.
      07-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #76
doughboy
Major General
Rep

It's a slightly unsual design in that most tail lights fit over an opening in the bodywork so the electrical connections are made INSIDE the vehicle in the dry.

These lights are wholly outside the body so the connector is subject to the open environment, water, dirt, cold, damp the lot.

The rain run off from the rear window and tailgate opening all runs down behind the tail lights too.

I'm not saying the connector isn't up to the job, but mine was covered in moisture / condensation both on the connector body and inside the male receptacle on the light fitting. Since i dried it up and applied a water dispersant it's been 100% fine.

As Poochie advised correctly, I used WD40 which isn't a good permanent solution, so I've now bought a little squirty tube of silicon electrical grease to apply this weekend to both sides.

It's a quick job and if it means I don't need to take it to the idiots at BMW then all the better....
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      07-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #77
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Do you really think that a bad ground is going to change the circuit polarity?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:26 AM   #78
Neutrino
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2

I guess I can proudly be a member of this tread also.

Just got the car 2 days ago (2018 LCI) and yesterday when I signal right it starts flashing super fast - left signal normal.

Initially I think maybe i messed up some setting or something (new car to me) then while driving on the freeway I get the rear right signal malfunction. The warning stays up for about 30 seconds then disappears....now the signal works fine

I guess this is a very common occurrence it seems.

This is what I get after years of making fun of BMW drivers and turn signals

Last edited by Neutrino; 07-11-2019 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #79
HN1989x
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Another member here experiencing this issue. BMW M2 LCI. Rear right turn signal..

Its been turning on and off since Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #80
mrmjk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Sapphire Black

I had my car throw left signal malfunctions multiple times but not as often as some here are reporting. It would mostly happen when on I was on a highway changing lanes. After restarting the car, the left signal would work again without any problem. The car in question is a LCI July 2017.

I contacted my authorized BMW repair service and they changed both of the tail lights under warranty. No costs associated to me.

So this is definitely a well known problem and BMW service has it in their little "problem database". Don't be worried to take it to your dealer.

I hope you'll be able to resolve it just as I did. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #81
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Just happened to me this morning. First time in 17 months of ownership from new. 2018 LCI M2. Right hand side only.

Will see if I can get the dealer to replace both tail lights with the dark line version from the M2 Comp

Suspect it could be water ingress from a seal in the boot. Had something similar on my 1M.

It’s been pretty dry and warm here in UK recently but we have had a couple of days of pretty heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #82
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I've not seen this design before.

There are no water seals to the boot on these lights.

The whole assembly is outside the body, there is no opening into the boot at all.

The wiring harness comes up from behind the bumper and connects to the tail light in the open air.

And the back window rain channels direct the water flow behind the light splashing all over the electrical connector.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #83
EUCSIP
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M2

Garage List
Count me in as another victim of the turn signal fault...going to be repaired under warranty once the dealer here gets US spec signal. Wanted to try going euro lights, but under warranty they had to replace the specific part number...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #84
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

A couple months back, I went to my dealer for this. They said they took out the taillight and didn't see any damage, so they aren't going to replace it but to let him know if it happens again. I also asked him to let me know if he updates or resets any of the computers, because that might lock me out of the DME so I can't run bootmod3 anymore. Back then, I didn't know this was only an issue with the M2C, not the M2. So then he was saying that the coding is probably causing the taillight error. So I explained to him that I thought of that already, reverted back to stock, and still got the error.

A few weeks ago I was in the dealership and mentioned that it is still happening. He said that he will order a new taillight, but he needs to pull the code to send BMW so the warranty will cover it.

Every time it happens, the error pops up on idrive and in the dash for a few seconds, then goes away. And it doesn't store the error message for the dealer to read. So I started taking pictures of the error. Had it happen 6 times in two weeks.

Went to the dealer earlier this week, showed him the pictures of the error message and dropped the car off with him. He said they checked all the wires and the taillight and everything is working and undamaged, so he isn't replacing anything. He also said the system is telling him to update the FEM and DME and some other stuff and wanted to check with me before he did it. I told him "okay, you can do that" because I learned that update won't keep me from using bm3.

So yea, still haven't been able to get anything replaced yet. Might go to a different dealer in the future, dunno yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 02:12 AM   #85
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
update the FEM and DME and some other stuff and wanted to check with me before he did it. I told him "okay, you can do that" because I learned that update won't keep me from using bm3.
DME is the engine management module. If you update that you will lose any remap and block BM3 and all OBD remap tools.

Where did you learn it was ok to update DME?

Are you using BM3 now?

FEM is related to lighting so could be relevant.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #86
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
DME is the engine management module. If you update that you will lose any remap and block BM3 and all OBD remap tools.

Where did you learn it was ok to update DME?

Are you using BM3 now?

FEM is related to lighting so could be relevant.
Yes, I understand all of this. And Halim, the one who makes the bm3 tunes for our cars, told me the update only loses access for M2C. M2 is fine. Source: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1626757
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #87
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Haha. Sorry i didn't realise this was in the m2 section...

N55 not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #88
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Had this twice on the last month. First was right turn signal. Today, by the time I realized that I had a warning message on the gauge cluster, it disappeared so I do not know if it was right or left. Just saw the word signal so I know it is that.

How can I know if the problem is the light itself or a false alarm (sensor issue)?
On top of that, sometimes I hear that the turn sign tick becomes a lot faster between ticks. When I turn it off and on again, the frequency returns to normal.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread