BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2016 BMW M2 (F87) Spotted on Nurburgring and Streets!! (VIDEO added)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #111
clbmw
Major
419
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives: 320d M135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
If we go back to early 2009 what was the BMW 1er M Coupe prototype initially was a standard 135i but with the M track and drivetrain. There was nothing to see because the priorities were with what is underneath. Its the same story here as it is the same story on any BMW prototype. It's what is underneath that counts first , final definition as in body work , details and styling comes later.

I thought everybody would know this by now...

We did not see a final prototype with the final body till May 2010.

The car is influenced by the M235i Racing in its styling because it is in the genes of the compact BMW from the 2002 Turbo to the E30 M3. Its definition also makes it stand out from the M4.

The M2 will launch in 2015. And be on the market early 2016.
Is the 2 series set to remain RWD for the G series?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #112
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
140
Rep
7,304
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
If this were an open book test on the test mule for the upcoming M2, many people would fail.
i'm still baffled at how ppl fail open book tests...how is it possible to even get one question wrong....always wondered that in college or in hs...everyone should be getting 100%.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #113
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
1395
Rep
4,708
Posts

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
None of those cars came out of the M Performance division.
the BMW 1M came out in 2011 with an N54 after the N55 had already replaced the n54 in all of the other 35i cars except for the 335is and z435is.

Lots of people were really upset when the 1m debuted with the n54 instead of an 'M Motor'. It is no surprise to me the M2 will come with a tuned n55.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #114
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
1070
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.20]
i'm not sure there's a lot they can do to do the F22 to NOT make it look generic....but here's hoping! I miss the attitude of the E82 in this car. I clicked back to the 'original' 1M spy shots that looked basically like a 135i in testing....and it still looked badass. This one....not so much. The performance? Well i'm pretty sure they are going to make a kickass M2. I think i'm also in the minority in the 'looks' department as most of you seem to love the F22's more family-friendly looks.

Still consider me interested....although i hate the timeline being speculated at the moment (2016 launch?)....it doesn't fit my plans at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #115
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
496
Rep
2,695
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Option 1: lease M235 for 3 years then jump into M2

Option 2: stick with current GTI and save my money for 2 more years .. I don't think I can wait that long arggghhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #116
WilliCO
Captain
WilliCO's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
900
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
the BMW 1M came out in 2011 with an N54 after the N55 had already replaced the n54 in all of the other 35i cars except for the 335is and z435is.

Lots of people were really upset when the 1m debuted with the n54 instead of an 'M Motor'. It is no surprise to me the M2 will come with a tuned n55.
It was always my sense, though, that the N54 was a tuneable beast and BMW knew it, perfect for those applications. I feel less like that about the N55. But, as you say, BMW has done something like this before and they are changing a lot of things these days.

And again, I have no personal qualm with the N55; I think it's a great motor. But apparently the B58 is going to have 375HP as well...I wonder why not just use that? More of a curiosity than an argument position.
__________________
-Will
2013 535i xDrive M-Sport | 2005 545i Sport (Retired and missed) | 2001 X5 3.0 Sport (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #117
i3illol
Rawrrr
i3illol's Avatar
Australia
18
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: a blue car
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thought at least they would give M2 a s-type engine, n55 is a great engine but it's also a grandpa engine. I reckon this M2's gonna be mega cheap compare to M3 and M4.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #118
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
1395
Rep
4,708
Posts

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
It was always my sense, though, that the N54 was a tuneable beast and BMW knew it, perfect for those applications. I feel less like that about the N55. But, as you say, BMW has done something like this before and they are changing a lot of things these days.

And again, I have no personal qualm with the N55; I think it's a great motor. But apparently the B58 is going to have 375HP as well...I wonder why not just use that? More of a curiosity than an argument position.
I think the N55 deserves more credit than we tend to give it. The lack of aftermarket support and tuning for the motor has nothing to do with BMW's ability to tune it at the factory. I expect an n55 with updated cooling and other small revisions and honestly have no qualm about the motor. If the m2 will be anything like the 1m its real strength and value between it and its non M counterpart shine more in chassis, steering and suspension.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #119
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
1070
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3illol View Post
Thought at least they would give M2 a s-type engine, n55 is a great engine but it's also a grandpa engine. I reckon this M2's gonna be mega cheap compare to M3 and M4.
'mega cheap'? well there's not a ton of room. the M235i is $44k base and the M3 is $62k base. So what's 'mega cheap' by your standards? $50-$54k?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #120
mxa121
Major
mxa121's Avatar
189
Rep
1,057
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, United States

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I think the N55 deserves more credit than we tend to give it. The lack of aftermarket support and tuning for the motor has nothing to do with BMW's ability to tune it at the factory. I expect an n55 with updated cooling and other small revisions and honestly have no qualm about the motor. If the m2 will be anything like the 1m its real strength and value between it and its non M counterpart shine more in chassis, steering and suspension.
You deserve an A!

A manufacturer is completely capable of tuning THEIR engines. Take the run of the mill N55, forged internals, up the boost, up the cooling, and BANG you have a dream turbo 6.

This sounds like a 1M remix and I think everyone who understands that can appreciate it.
__________________
Current Rides - 2002 Silverado "Tow Pig" - 2004 Honda S2000 "Track Rat"
Past Rides - 2010 335i - 2007 Cayman S - 2009 JZB M3 Coupe - 2010 LMB 335i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #121
i3illol
Rawrrr
i3illol's Avatar
Australia
18
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: a blue car
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3illol View Post
Thought at least they would give M2 a s-type engine, n55 is a great engine but it's also a grandpa engine. I reckon this M2's gonna be mega cheap compare to M3 and M4.
'mega cheap'? well there's not a ton of room. the M235i is $44k base and the M3 is $62k base. So what's 'mega cheap' by your standards? $50-$54k?
Haha sorry got you misunderstanding man, should've said earlier that I'm talking about the market here in Australia, new M3's gonna be $200k, new released M235 is about $110k (plus AUD is slightly more expensive than USD) so yea I reckon there's gonna be at least $60k cheaper. Hopefully. I ain't pay a similar M3 price on a tuned n55 M2 at least.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #122
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
93
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Well...looks like I'll be buying car #4 soon; I am either insanely smart or insanely stupid...I think I am leaning toward the stupid, but this car just seems like its going to be a rare future classic!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #123
WilliCO
Captain
WilliCO's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
900
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
Take the run of the mill N55, forged internals, up the boost, up the cooling, and BANG you have a dream turbo 6.
Which is essentially what the S55 in the F80/F82 is, no?
__________________
-Will
2013 535i xDrive M-Sport | 2005 545i Sport (Retired and missed) | 2001 X5 3.0 Sport (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #124
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
8107
Rep
8,485
Posts

Drives: BMW M2 (MG 6MT)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Name:  M2_Prototype.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  182.0 KB
Name:  M2_Prototype_CloseUp.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  128.8 KB
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #125
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
1395
Rep
4,708
Posts

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Which is essentially what the S55 in the F80/F82 is, no?
no - do your research. S55 is quite different. Most obviously having two turbos.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #126
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
1070
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekn8286 View Post
Well...looks like I'll be buying car #4 soon; I am either insanely smart or insanely stupid...I think I am leaning toward the stupid, but this car just seems like its going to be a rare future classic!
future classic maybe....but "rare"? I doubt it! the M2 isn't going to be a limited edition as far as the early reports are mentioning.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #127
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
1070
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3illol View Post
Haha sorry got you misunderstanding man, should've said earlier that I'm talking about the market here in Australia, new M3's gonna be $200k, new released M235 is about $110k (plus AUD is slightly more expensive than USD) so yea I reckon there's gonna be at least $60k cheaper. Hopefully. I ain't pay a similar M3 price on a tuned n55 M2 at least.
wow that's some crazy pricing!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #128
i3illol
Rawrrr
i3illol's Avatar
Australia
18
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: a blue car
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3illol View Post
Haha sorry got you misunderstanding man, should've said earlier that I'm talking about the market here in Australia, new M3's gonna be $200k, new released M235 is about $110k (plus AUD is slightly more expensive than USD) so yea I reckon there's gonna be at least $60k cheaper. Hopefully. I ain't pay a similar M3 price on a tuned n55 M2 at least.
wow that's some crazy pricing!
Lol Welcome to 'Straya!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #129
Penguino
Captain
Penguino's Avatar
156
Rep
677
Posts

Drives: A car.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Here

iTrader: (5)

Why do I find it "wrong" to put a non-M engine in an M car?
__________________
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #130
ORIGIN M.
Banned
3035
Rep
9,222
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern Hemisphere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosz
Why do I find it "wrong" to put a non-M engine in an M car?
Ummm, because it is !!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #131
i3illol
Rawrrr
i3illol's Avatar
Australia
18
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: a blue car
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Ummm, because it is !!
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #132
RoadRunner///M
Major General
RoadRunner///M's Avatar
No_Country
264
Rep
6,510
Posts

Drives: 1M (Sold), M3 F80
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosz View Post
Why do I find it "wrong" to put a non-M engine in an M car?
Becasue M cars are about chassis not engines. If M brought out the N55B30T0 everyone would be impressed, but it just so happens it is a 'normal' BMW engine.
__________________
BMW F80 M3 DCT - Silverstone II - AA Mids, BM3 tune
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2015 bmw m2, 2015 m2, 2016 bmw m2, 2016 m2, bmw f22 m2, bmw f87 m2, bmw m2, bmw m2 coupe, bmw m2 coupe news, bmw m2 engine, bmw m2 f22, bmw m2 f87, bmw m2 forum, bmw m2 forums, bmw m2 motor, bmw m2 n55, bmw m2 n55 engine, bmw m2 news, bmw m2 render, bmw m2 rendering, bmw m2 renders, bmw m2 rumors, bmw spy pic, bmw spy shot, bmw spyshot, f87, f87 m2, m2 coupe, m2 f87, m2 forum, m2 forums, m2 n55, m2 news, m2 rumors, n55 bmw m2, n55 m2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST