BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Seat not reclining all the way w/ one switch operation?

07-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Seat not reclining all the way w/ one switch operation?

Hello, all.
I’ve recently noticed that my seat does not recline all the way with one click.
So, press and hold the recline switch and it moves a few inches and stops.
I have to repeatedly press and hold the switch to have it all the way down to the desired position (for a quick nap).
It takes the same number of seat memory button press to get back to the preset position.
What gives??
What setting have I messed with that it’s acting this way?
TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
It takes the same number of seat memory button press to get back to the preset position.
What gives??
TIA
Maybe I misunderstood but seat memory isn't a one press operation. For seat memory to work you have to press and hold the button until it reaches the preset position.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Hello, all.
I've recently noticed that my seat does not recline all the way with one click.
So, press and hold the recline switch and it moves a few inches and stops.

There is nothing wrong, you must be accustom to the older operation; as a safety measure, the newer software iterations, the power seat stops, in increments, so the driver has more control of seat's trajectory, to avoid possible crushing anyone or anything, as it retracts by the older one-touch, auto-moving seat operation..

There is no "anti-pinch" sensors in the seat of the M2, that would be able to detect an obstacle or body part and immediately stop and it starts operating in reverse direction, to avoid potential injury. So BMW's solution to this potential liability was to programmed the seats to operate, with a need to keep pressing the switch, so the operators becomes more aware that it detracts, to avoid any mishaps.

There no way to code it back the older setting, as far as I see, as it's written into the programming.

Drivers seat memory buttons https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1668728
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
MMMBRAP975.50
      07-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Dont do it with the car in drive. It wants to make sure you dont move yourself out of reach of the peddles while driving.
Try it the very first thing as you get into the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
Dont do it with the car in drive. It wants to make sure you dont move yourself out of reach of the peddles while driving.
Try it the very first thing as you get into the car.
I have a manual transmission, there is no drive gear.

Every since they replaced my iDrive knob and updated the software, the seat now then retracts in increments, having to lift and repress the button, even with the engine powered off.

Previously, it was one-touch auto retract.

My friend notice the same change on his new Audi A5, from a earlier model, so I guess this adjustment was implement across the board but I'm not sure if it's specific to region.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #6
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I have a manual transmission, there is no drive gear.

Every since they replaced my iDrive knob and updated the software, the seat now then retracts in increment, having to lift and repress the button, even with the engine powered off.

Previously, it was one-touch auto retract.

My friend notice the same change on his new Audi A5, from a earlier model, so I guess this adjustment was implement across the board but I'm not sure if it's specific to region.
Same here. 6MT, so do drive position.
Yes, I hold the memory seat button until it reaches the preset position.
Same goes with the seat reclining.
Press and hold the button until it goes back maybe 10 inches, and it stops.
I have to repeat about 5-6 times until it reclines all the way close to the rear seat bottoms.
Quite annoying at times.
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      07-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #7
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Ok here is an experiment for the memory seat preset. Unlock the car but don't turn it on, and then press your seat preset (1 or 2). The seat will go all the way to that seating position.

Then try turning on the car and doing it again. The seat will only move a tiny bit and stop, causing you to repress it until you get to that seating position.

The reason this happens is safety. Let's say you are 5' ft tall and your spouse is 6'8. You are 1 and they are 2 on the seat presets. Now say you are driving in wet conditions on a twisty road, and all the sudden the umbrella you hastily put on the side of your seat shifts position and starts hitting the 2 seat position button and the seat starts moving back. Could imagine having to try and continue driving in those conditions while somehow trying to figure out how to move the umbrella and get the seat to stop trying to go all the way back for your 6'8 spouse's position? What's that you smell? Oo yes, massive product liability litigation for BMW.

So, as a safety mechanism, when the engine is on and the car is motion, the preset button has a kill switch after it's held for a few seconds, to prevent this very scenario from occurring.

How do I know this, well I'm almost a foot taller than my spouse and work in the legal part of the automotive business.

I have just trained myself now to press the button for my seat position when I'm about to get in and wait until it gets in positions before turning on the car every time I drive one of our BMWs after my wife.

As for the back recliner, I believe it works in the same way, but cannot recall at the moment.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      07-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #8
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Memory seat recall function has been working like that since day 1.
The thing that annoys me is the recline, as I don’t think it was like that when I first got the car.
No matter how long I hold the button, it doesn’t go all the way down.

Poochie,
Thanks for confirming it’s not just my car.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      07-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #9
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I have this same problem with the manual seats. Think coding will fix it??
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Dang, you can get manual seats there? Wish USA had that option since no one else drives my car.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      07-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #11
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Ok here is an experiment for the memory seat preset. Unlock the car but don't turn it on, and then press your seat preset (1 or 2). The seat will go all the way to that seating position.

Then try turning on the car and doing it again. The seat will only move a tiny bit and stop, causing you to repress it until you get to that seating position.

The reason this happens is safety. Let's say you are 5' ft tall and your spouse is 6'8. You are 1 and they are 2 on the seat presets. Now say you are driving in wet conditions on a twisty road, and all the sudden the umbrella you hastily put on the side of your seat shifts position and starts hitting the 2 seat position button and the seat starts moving back. Could imagine having to try and continue driving in those conditions while somehow trying to figure out how to move the umbrella and get the seat to stop trying to go all the way back for your 6'8 spouse's position? What's that you smell? Oo yes, massive product liability litigation for BMW.

So, as a safety mechanism, when the engine is on and the car is motion, the preset button has a kill switch after it's held for a few seconds, to prevent this very scenario from occurring.

How do I know this, well I'm almost a foot taller than my spouse and work in the legal part of the automotive business.

I have just trained myself now to press the button for my seat position when I'm about to get in and wait until it gets in positions before turning on the car every time I drive one of our BMWs after my wife.

As for the back recliner, I believe it works in the same way, but cannot recall at the moment.
I have the same problem with my wife as I'm 6' and she is 5'. But we use seat memory in her X3. Can't remember the exact setting but it works awesome. Use different keys and lock the car every time you get out. When the next person unlocks the car the seat automatically moves to their stored position. Just a hint, you probably already knew that.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      07-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Dang, you can get manual seats there? Wish USA had that option since no one else drives my car.
Yup, I was kind of surprised they offered them on m2 - "no cost option" for EU
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #13
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post

I have the same problem with my wife as I'm 6' and she is 5'. But we use seat memory in her X3. Can't remember the exact setting but it works awesome. Use different keys and lock the car every time you get out. When the next person unlocks the car the seat automatically moves to their stored position. Just a hint, you probably already knew that.
I've known about this, but We are super lazy to set this up and do it lol.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Same here. 6MT, so do drive position.
Yes, I hold the memory seat button until it reaches the preset position.
Same goes with the seat reclining.
Press and hold the button until it goes back maybe 10 inches, and it stops.
I have to repeat about 5-6 times until it reclines all the way close to the rear seat bottoms.
Quite annoying at times.
I also have to do this every time. I got used to it, but like you said, it's freaking annoying sometimes.

The ONLY time I can hit Memory Button 1 just ONCE and it will go back to my preset uninterrupted is when I start the car for the first time before I head out for a drive.

(I usually push the seat farther back out when I am back in the garage and turn the car off to get out easier.)
Appreciate 0