BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Euro Delivery - Italy break-in service center recommendation?

09-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
IcyLiquid
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT LBB M2C

Garage List
Question Euro Delivery - Italy break-in service center recommendation?

Hi folks,

I have a 6MT LBB M2C on order and will be taking European Delivery of the car. My wife and I are planning a 4 week road trip through Germany, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Italy and Austria.

By my calculations, I will probably do about 4,500km in the car during the trip which is more than enough to warrant getting the break-in service out of the way and unlocking the M2C's true power .

I've strategically planned to start in Munich and end in Frankfurt so that I can hit the Nurburgring with the car "unlocked".

My question is this: I'll probably be in either Rome or Naples when I surpass 1200 miles. Has anyone got suggestions for a reputable, M-certified service center in that general area that I could trust with performing the break in service?

I've done some googling and found "M Car SPA Napoli" (http://www.mcar.it/). Seems legitimate enough, but I was hoping to have some external corroboration from someone here, if possible.

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
No experience with M service centers in Napoli but just wanted to say that I love the food around there. Also just as a caution, I found that fewer people in southern Italy spoke English. I got mine serviced in Palermo and the only other person at the dealer who spoke English was another customer.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
IcyLiquid
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
No experience with M service centers in Napoli but just wanted to say that I love the food around there. Also just as a caution, I found that fewer people in southern Italy spoke English. I got mine serviced in Palermo and the only other person at the dealer who spoke English was another customer.
The food is like 50% of the reason I'm going all the way down to Naples xD

Specifically, http://www.pepeingrani.it/ which apparently has some of the best pizza in the world... I *cannot* wait!

Thank you for the tip about the lack of English. I've been stumbling my way through Duolingo Italian for that reason
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyLiquid View Post
Thank you for the tip about the lack of English. I've been stumbling my way through Duolingo Italian for that reason
Yea, that is a great tip - I definitely would not want to do the break-in service in Italy - I couldn't even manage to obtain a Swiss vignette at an Italian gas station... at the border.
      09-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

If you've never driven in Naples, be prepared. It's like dumping mice out of a sack - the cars and scooters and pedestrians are skittering all over the road, sidewalks, and alleys. It's insane.

Here's a video from the Navy about driving in Naples from the 1980's. It hasn't changed. I was stationed there for 3 years in the 1990's and spent a couple of weeks driving through Italy on vacation last year.

The food is the best on the planet - but the roads and drivers are insane.
2015 Scion FR-S
Coming soon - 2019 M2 Competition
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
IcyLiquid
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
If you've never driven in Naples, be prepared. It's like dumping mice out of a sack - the cars and scooters and pedestrians are skittering all over the road, sidewalks, and alleys. It's insane.
I read your reply this morning as I was brushing my teeth. Got to "like dumping mice out of a sack" and... now I have to clean my mirror.

Thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
SonOfWMB
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I had my M2 break-in service done at BMW Roma - Via Salaria https://bmwroma.bmw.it/chi-siamo/via-salaria I used the Chrome translate function to navigate the website and translate e-mails when necessary.

I sent an e-mail a couple of months in advance to set up the appointment. They kept the car overnight, but gave me a loaner, so no problem since I was staying close overnight.

Only a few people spoke English, but all were polite and professional. You will have to pay the European dealer, but your local dealer will reimburse you for the expense.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:40 AM   #8
IcyLiquid
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Update on this:

I am currently sitting in the waiting area at "M.Car SpA Pozzuoli" while the break-in service happens.

I made my appointment with them like 9 months in advance which they found hilarious, and then reminded them about it about 1 month out (which is fortunate because I think they had forgotten).

Initially they told me it would take all day, starting at 9am and finishing at 4pm. I pushed back by email but had no response. When I brought the car in they were friendly, and told me they thought it would take maybe 1hr.

On a hunch, I asked them to confirm the exact steps that would be undertaken, and it's a good thing: they didn't understand that the car needed a break in service and were only going to do an inspection and fluids "top-up". After making some calls and talking to their head mechanic, it was sorted out and they confirmed that they would:
- change oil
- change oil filter
- change diff fluid

So let that be a warning to anyone doing their break-in service in a borderline 3rd world country: triple check.

p.s. driving in Italy will make your hair turn grey prematurely. Do not recommend.

🙏
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

What a coincidence. Just had to do the break-in service in Nice, France after driving through Italy. Spent 5 days driving through Italy and you are right about driving through Italy where rules don't apply and it is ok to ride between 2 lanes. Thought about doing the service in Milan, but the BMW dealership there said minimum one day wait time. Setup the appointment with BMW Nice Premium Motors last month and was quoted at 2 hours. Walked in there at 9am this morning and left the dealer before 11am. Service was extremely professional and they knew exactly what had to be done - oil and diff fluid change.
2015 Mercedes E63 S AMG
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #10
IcyLiquid
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yeah. The service centres in Rome told me something similar, but were fully booked anyway so it was a non starter.

This trip has been great and I've eaten so much god damned pizza (including at Pepe In Grani), but driving in Italy is just not worth the stress. Next ED I will stay north. Maybe Germany, Netherlands, Belgium etc. Italy is better on foot imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #11
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

We are doing Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, France & Switzerland. Of the first 6 countries we have been through so far, the driving in Italy is by far the worst. My wife saw the new G29 Z4 at the Welt and we are already planning our next ED through French wine country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyLiquid View Post
Yeah. The service centres in Rome told me something similar, but were fully booked anyway so it was a non starter.

This trip has been great and I've eaten so much god damned pizza (including at Pepe In Grani), but driving in Italy is just not worth the stress. Next ED I will stay north. Maybe Germany, Netherlands, Belgium etc. Italy is better on foot imo.
2015 Mercedes E63 S AMG
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
IcyLiquid
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Don't speed in Switzerland. Like at all. 0 kph over the limit.

Otherwise, enjoy

We did Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Italy, and are on our way back up Italy to hit Germany again (after the break-in is done), including Frankfurt and the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0