BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Any word on how weather is affecting the Trans-Atlantic shipping lanes?

09-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Any word on how weather is affecting the Trans-Atlantic shipping lanes?

First and foremost my thoughts are out to those in the path of Hurricane Irma and Jose. If the ships take an extra month in order to not put any more lives in danger that's fine with me.

But is anyone aware how much this affects ships headed to the Canal? My ship, the Torino, is currently only in satellite range for tracking and I don't feel like buying a membership just to check it.

I'm headed off for a month in early October and won't be able to take delivery then. The ship was originally due 9/21 in CA. Any insight would be appreciated. Not sure how this stuff works during hurricane season.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
First and foremost my thoughts are out to those in the path of Hurricane Irma and Jose. If the ships take an extra month in order to not put any more lives in danger that's fine with me.

But is anyone aware how much this affects ships headed to the Canal? My ship, the Torino, is currently only in satellite range for tracking and I don't feel like buying a membership just to check it.

I'm headed off for a month in early October and won't be able to take delivery then. The ship was originally due 9/21 in CA. Any insight would be appreciated. Not sure how this stuff works during hurricane season.
Oh man - I can see why you're worried ... WWL schedule shows the Torino is supposed to hit Panama on Sep 12. Last seen on Sep 2 just south of the Azores. Sure looks like a direct collision course with Irma's path ... I gotta think they would give Irma a wide berth. Surprised the WWL schedule is still showing the 12th - but I'm sure they've experience in avoiding hurricane this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
Oh man - I can see why you're worried ... WWL schedule shows the Torino is supposed to hit Panama on Sep 12. Last seen on Sep 2 just south of the Azores. Sure looks like a direct collision course with Irma's path ... I gotta think they would give Irma a wide berth. Surprised the WWL schedule is still showing the 12th - but I'm sure they've experience in avoiding hurricane this time of year.
That AW M2 at Beverly Hills BMW is looking better and better. They just called me back on it.

But I'll stay loyal.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
If any one wants their ship tracked, I have a free account open right now. Looked at Torino for you guys and its current chilling Northeast of Irma. Can give you the exact coordinates if you'd like. My ship (Bosporus Highway) is about 50 miles from Jacksonville and docking there tomorrow. Looks like she's going straight through Irma these next few days.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimma View Post
If any one wants their ship tracked, I have a free account open right now. Looked at Torino for you guys and its current chilling Northeast of Irma. Can give you the exact coordinates if you'd like. My ship (Bosporus Highway) is about 50 miles from Jacksonville and docking there tomorrow. Looks like she's going straight through Irma these next few days.
I'll take the coordinates if you have them. What site did you sign up to? I couldn't find one (or so i thought) that gave satellite for free.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

There's a free two week satellite tracking link in the first post of the tracking sticky.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
I'll take the coordinates if you have them. What site did you sign up to? I couldn't find one (or so i thought) that gave satellite for free.
Torino: N 24° 41.34' W 054° 4.62'
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
There's a free two week satellite tracking link in the first post of the tracking sticky.
The one in the tracking sticky didn't work for me but maybe you guys will have better luck
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #9
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The one in the tracking sticky didn't work for me but maybe you guys will have better luck
Thanks! It's on a path away from the Canal right now which makes sense. Traveling at super low speeds. Guess I just have to be patient and expect a delay.

Also to everyone else I found a site with a working trial for satellite. Feel free to PM me. Just be warned that I don't check my PMs often so it might take a day or 2.

Last edited by OSee; 09-06-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
F87E30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30

Out of curiosity, how are you able to find out what boat your car is on. According to the BMW Genius i spoke to earlier mine is on a boat and is expected to arrive to the Port of Galveston on 9/22.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87E30 View Post
Out of curiosity, how are you able to find out what boat your car is on. According to the BMW Genius i spoke to earlier mine is on a boat and is expected to arrive to the Port of Galveston on 9/22.
WWL boat "Honor" is scheduled to arrive Galveston on 9/22. My bet is your car is on Honor.

BMW Genius should be able to tell you the name of the boat.

But if you really want the info with authority (Genius info can be iffy), armed with your VIN, you can lookup your car on the WWL site. And if it is indeed on a WWL boat, the WWL site will confirm it.

Go here: www.2wglobal.com, click on "Track & Trace". Enter you VIN (last 7 is sufficient) in the "Cargo ID" field and see if you get a hit.

If it comes back "no records found", then your car is not on a WWL boat - in which case you'll have to rely on Genius to tell you the boat name (likely on a NYK or MOL carrier).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
F87E30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
WWL boat "Honor" is scheduled to arrive Galveston on 9/22. My bet is your car is on Honor.

BMW Genius should be able to tell you the name of the boat.

But if you really want the info with authority (Genius info can be iffy), armed with your VIN, you can lookup your car on the WWL site. And if it is indeed on a WWL boat, the WWL site will confirm it.

Go here: www.2wglobal.com, click on "Track & Trace". Enter you VIN (last 7 is sufficient) in the "Cargo ID" field and see if you get a hit.

If it comes back "no records found", then your car is not on a WWL boat - in which case you'll have to rely on Genius to tell you the boat name (likely on a NYK or MOL carrier).
Thank you for the information, i ran both the last 7 of the VIN and the whole thing and got no results so likely on a NYK or MOL carrier like you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #13
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the information, i ran both the last 7 of the VIN and the whole thing and got no results so likely on a NYK or MOL carrier like you mentioned.
Your welcome. I guess I lost my bet.

So I checked on MOL (molroro.com) and NYK (nykroro.com). Neither have any ships heading to Galveston. So there must be yet another carrier BMW is using to get cars to Galveston.

I suggest you call Genius on Monday (or your CA anytime) and ask what ship it's on. Both should be able to tell you the ship's name. I'm curious what you learn, cuz "Honor" really was the perfect candidate.

I dug around in the links on the "tracking" sticky - and found another candidate: Kline's "Polaris Highway" left Bremerhaven on Sept 8 and is due into Galveston on Sept 22. Here's the schedule where I found that http://www.kline.com/CarCarrier-Sche...g_Schedule.pdf. Maybe I can win a second bet

But I don't know how to do a VIN query with Kline - so again, you'll have to call Genius or your CA to know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #14
F87E30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

So I checked on MOL (molroro.com) and NYK (nykroro.com). Neither have any ships heading to Galveston. So there must be yet another carrier BMW is using to get cars to Galveston.

I suggest you call Genius on Monday (or your CA anytime) and ask what ship it's on. Both should be able to tell you the ship's name. I'm curious what you learn, cuz "Honor" really was the perfect candidate.

I dug around in the links on the "tracking" sticky - and found another candidate: Kline's "Polaris Highway" left Bremerhaven on Sept 8 and is due into Galveston on Sept 22. Here's the schedule where I found that http://www.kline.com/CarCarrier-Sche...g_Schedule.pdf. Maybe I can win a second bet

But I don't know how to do a VIN query with Kline - so again, you'll have to call Genius or your CA to know for sure.
I will definitely contact BMW Genius again tomorrow, i just sent a text to my CA as well to see if he has anything useful for me. Thanks again for the thorough response, i will report back if i find a ship name.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #15
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Question

Quote:
Are they offloading your car in Jacksonville? I bought my car in Jax and it was dropped in Brunswick, GA where BMW has a prep center. I know they deliver cars in Jax, just didn't think they did BMWs here.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #16
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
Are they offloading your car in Jacksonville? I bought my car in Jax and it was dropped in Brunswick, GA where BMW has a prep center. I know they deliver cars in Jax, just didn't think they did BMWs here.
Nope, my ship just stopped there on the way to Galveston.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #17
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Nope, my ship just stopped there on the way to Galveston.
Gotcha. I was going to be pissed. I could have gotten my car 3 days earlier, lol.

Your wait is almost over. It's sooooo worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #18
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

This time last year my car was on the ship when there was hurricane activity, these storms move fairly predictably so they plan them out well in advance. In my case the ship was not delayed at all, they went slower during the early part of the trip and then when the storm moved beyond their path then the ship sped up and made it to all of their destinations within a couple of hours of what was projected. I wouldn't think that anyone has much to worry about unless the port their ship is going to (Galveston) is impacted.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #19
F87E30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

So i contacted BMW Genius today and the car is in face on Polaris Highway. Good job, you won the second bet haha.
Appreciate 1
jjclyde125.50
      09-12-2017, 12:36 AM   #20
deeechun
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Aaaaaaaaand the Torino has finally updated its location! Looks like it is on time to hit Port Hueneme on the 21st!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 01:10 AM   #21
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeechun View Post
Aaaaaaaaand the Torino has finally updated its location! Looks like it is on time to hit Port Hueneme on the 21st!
Yep it's traveling at about 10 knots right now right off of the coast of Panama.

It's smooth sailing from there. I'll post occasional satellite updates in here once it hits open waters again in the Pacific.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #22
MannyS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Spouse’s M4CX convertible

Quote:
So i contacted BMW Genius today and the car is in face on Polaris Highway. Good job, you won the second bet haha.
Polaris Highway is running 12 hours behind schedule. The Port of Jacksonville expects the ship to arrive on the 19th instead of the originally scheduled 18th (see port arrival schedule below).

K-Line customer service indicates that the latest update from the captain is that the ship will arrive in Galveston on the 22nd.

I am tracking the ship because my daughter's car is on this ship as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by MannyS; 09-19-2017 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0