Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
If it's too loud, you're too old.

Discuss...

Funny.

As we get older most of us lose some acuity in our hearing, especially (at least for me) the ability to distinguish a particular conversation in a noisy room. So, that also translates to being able to listen to music (or the wife complaining about me taking that turn too fast) while the tires are making all of that noise and the exhaust is droning.

Ironically, your typical sports car, which tends to be loud, is expensive and often purchased as a second "weekend" or "fun" car, and therefore cannot be afforded by young folks in their 20s, but by older and more financially secure people, many of us who are plagued by the onset of arthritis, loss of hearing, bad knees, stiff back, and just general orneriness.

So, anyway, I really don't mind the car being loud when I'm driving on the track or in a "spirited" fashion (although I'd never intentionally exceed any posted speed limits, really, I promise) as the sound of the intake and exhaust and happy (squealing) tires is really music to most of us. It's the loud, constant, unvarying and unpleasant noise generated by poor pavement, a droning exhaust that resonates painfully while cruising down the highway that I'm trying to reduce.

Get off my lawn!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 4
Poochie9099.00
cptobvious2531.50
Altra265.50
Ikester192120.50
      01-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:
If it's too loud, you're too old.

Discuss...

Funny.

So, anyway, I really don't mind the car being loud when I'm driving on the track or in a "spirited" fashion
You don't owe anyone an explanation; the M2 not some exotic super car, where the engine is carefully tuned to sound like a guitar, it's mainly a daily driver, with a little pep and some synthetic exhaust sound pumped in.

There is absolutely no reason it should be unreasonable loud in the cabin, littered with road and tire noise, which I suppose is to be interpreted as performance, interfering with your well-being, other than for it to appear pretentious.

If you found a way to help mitigate the drone, you go for it and ignore the naysayers.

With some people, you would never see eye to eye; doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong.
Appreciate 1
LuvMyE922993.50
      01-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #25
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

If you will insist on sitting right between the intakes of said jet engines...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #26
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
If you will insist on sitting right between the intakes of said jet engines...
Technically.... this is true.

Well, slightly closer to the left intake than the right, by about three feet.
Appreciate 0