BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Denver tire choice (winters or all-seasons)

12-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Denver tire choice (winters or all-seasons)

I'm moving to Denver next month and am wondering what the best tire choice is going to be. I don't plan on commuting in the car, so there's likely not going to be a need for me to drive if there's snow on the ground (nor do I plan on taking it skiing...). I'm moving from CA where I keep high performance summers on the car year round, and I'm pretty sure that's not going to cut it for the nine months of the year it gets cold enough to snow.

Are all-seasons (Pilot Sport A/S 3+) going to be good enough, or is it worth getting dedicated winter tires (Blizzaks)? If I have to get winter's I'll also have to get new rims (was thinking 18x9 FL-5's), while I can run all-seasons on the existing 437M's. I was hoping to get a set of something suitable for track/auto-x duty (likely just wider FL-5's) rather than do dedicated winters.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Sorry I know this is belated but you are on the money with your Apex idea.

I did the same thing... I bought a 9.5" square Apex EC7 setup and in winter I run 255/40/18 Blizzaks on them and then for track/autox I run 275/35/18 - perfect dual season rim.

You probably know by now but I would absolutely run the Blizzaks in winter over the all seasons. We got 12+ snow days last season and they were flawless.
Appreciate 0