BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Carbon Fiber parts ordering and installation

10-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #1
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
Carbon Fiber parts ordering and installation

From what I gather reading and seeing M2s that arrive at dealerships, some have carbon fiber parts already installed (grill, gills etc.). How does ordering those work to get them so early? Does the dealer install them? Port install?

Thanks.

EDIT: I meant black grill, gills and carbon fiber mirror caps.

Last edited by norberts; 10-18-2017 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

There is no BMW Carbon Grill or Gills, but there are black versions and the carbon diffuser and winglets.

All of those things are port installed, and you don't get the parts that they take off.

It's quite a bit cheaper not to have things port installed, and your car won't be slowed down for delivery at the port either. The benefits of port installed parts is that you can finance them with the car, they end up on the window sticker, and they're warrantied because they were fitted by BMW.

I personally wouldn't do any port installed things, and just buy them cheaper after the fact, keeping the original parts as spares etc.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:33 AM   #3
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
You are right my confusion, edited the post.

Thanks for the info. That's what I did with my current M235i (bought after), so that's what I'm going to do with the M2 too.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
There is no BMW Carbon Grill or Gills, but there are black versions and the carbon diffuser and winglets.

All of those things are port installed, and you don't get the parts that they take off.

It's quite a bit cheaper not to have things port installed, and your car won't be slowed down for delivery at the port either. The benefits of port installed parts is that you can finance them with the car, they end up on the window sticker, and they're warrantied because they were fitted by BMW.

I personally wouldn't do any port installed things, and just buy them cheaper after the fact, keeping the original parts as spares etc.
Another benefit is having someone that's actually seen an M2 and done the work before. Pretty big benefit to overlook, imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
Another benefit is having someone that's actually seen an M2 and done the work before. Pretty big benefit to overlook, imo.
I have pretty high standards to getting work done on my car, and for this reason, usually do as much as I can myself. It's true that I may not have the experience of some professionals, but I can take my time, and most importantly, if I do something wrong, I can go back and do it again until I'm satisfied.

This is the main reason that I hate getting anything done on my cars, including servicing at the dealer, PPF install, paint correction work, even washing my car. I'll do it all myself thank you very much.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0