BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > How many other dealers trying to to sleeze a premium over MSRP on this allocation

06-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
bimaholic
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

How many other dealers trying to to sleeze a premium over MSRP on this allocation

I am # 1 on a Massachusetts dealers list who told me they wanted $5K over MSRP in January but would assess the market when the allocation came in and they want $5K over sticker now. I have other options, but this is my local dealer and I have bought 3 cars from them or their progeny. I don't want to name them presently hoping they do the right thing. Are other dealers in the Northeast asking for over MSRP or are they an outlier?

Last edited by bimaholic; 06-19-2016 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Coulson T
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: awaiting a MG M2

Always someone trying to rip off with a markup..Mine is at MSRP in the Northwest, but there are other dealers here also adding markup...so it's like they want you to be loyal customers and yet it doesn't go both ways with some dealers..They should value your past purchases as my sales person has.....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Guys: what's the point if we don't name them?

Point of the thread seems to be singling out the gouging ones out no?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I have been offered two cars from two dealers, both at MSRP. As the cars from this next allocation begin to show up this market premium thing will soon be a thing of the past.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #5
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

BMW Seattle (owned by Lithia) has sold and is selling their M2s at MSRP. Nearby BMW of Bellevue (owned by AutoNation) has previously marked up their M2s over MSRP. I know which dealer will continue to get my business.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimaholic View Post
I am # 1 on a Massachusetts dealers list who told me they wanted $5K over MSRP in January but would assess the market when the allocation came in and they want $5K over sticker now. I have other options, but this is my local dealer and I have bought 3 cars from them or their progeny. I don't want to name them presently hoping they do the right thing. Are other dealers in the Northeast asking for over MSRP or are they an outlier?
I'm not aware of RI dealers asking over MSRP, mine isn't.

And last time I talked to BMW of Norwood they were not either.

~gs2gf
      06-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
jpics80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 - Alpine White

We have zero mark up on ours.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #8
MarkR262
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 / MG / Exec / 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpics80 View Post
We have zero mark up on ours.
I can attest to zero price gouging at Tulley. I ordered my M2 from there at MSRP and got a production number last week.

I checked out the central MA dealer where the sales manager told me everyone was marking them up. He said I could have their next allocation which would be delivered by the end of the year. They were $5K over MSRP claiming that was a good deal since "The Gallery" (another local dealer) was at $10K over.

They may sell one car to someone over MSRP but you won't have a dedicated repeat customer. It'll be one and done.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You didn't get "at MSRP or better" into the paperwork when you put down your deposit? I always get that in writing and have never once had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
jpics80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR262 View Post
I can attest to zero price gouging at Tulley. I ordered my M2 from there at MSRP and got a production number last week.

I checked out the central MA dealer where the sales manager told me everyone was marking them up. He said I could have their next allocation which would be delivered by the end of the year. They were $5K over MSRP claiming that was a good deal since "The Gallery" (another local dealer) was at $10K over.

They may sell one car to someone over MSRP but you won't have a dedicated repeat customer. It'll be one and done.
Did you get the 17?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
You can't really say the dealership is not worth ever doing business with just because they are charging a premium. I don't think it is logical to blacklist a dealership for life because they are asking for a premium on one particular car at a particular point in time, just like I don't think it always makes sense to stay loyal to the same salesperson. I was able to secure an F80 M3 via Euro Delivery at Euro Delivery invoice from the same dealer/sales manager that is currently asking for $5k mark ups on the M2. Just keep in mind that a lot of the time it is the individual salesperson, the GM/Sales Manager's current plan, and numerous other factors that constantly change due to market conditions that affect each dealership differently and therefore affects the types of deals they are willing to do at a certain time. However, I do understand there are dealers such as Rusnak in Thousand Oaks that are notorious for throwing insulting numbers at people with even more insulting lies spewed as justification no matter the condition of the local market.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife View Post
You can't really say the dealership is not worth ever doing business with just because they are charging a premium. I don't think it is logical to blacklist a dealership for life because they are asking for a premium on one particular car at a particular point in time, just like I don't think it always makes sense to stay loyal to the same salesperson. I was able to secure an F80 M3 via Euro Delivery at Euro Delivery invoice from the same dealer/sales manager that is currently asking for $5k mark ups on the M2. Just keep in mind that a lot of the time it is the individual salesperson, the GM/Sales Manager's current plan, and numerous other factors that constantly change due to market conditions that affect each dealership differently and therefore affects the types of deals they are willing to do at a certain time. However, I do understand there are dealers such as Rusnak in Thousand Oaks that are notorious for throwing insulting numbers at people with even more insulting lies spewed as justification no matter the condition of the local market.
Sure you can. Everyone has their own values and what they will tolerate. If ADM is insulting to them, they have every right to never do business with that dealer. I sure wouldn't do business with a dealer selling cars for a markup and especially for non limited production vehicles. They want to make a quick buck rather than have me come back for every car I buy of that particular make? By all means. But they won't ever have my business.

Just ask all the Ford dealers now calling me about a GT350 they charged 5-15k over 6 months ago. I'm the one laughing at them now, instead of the other way around.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Sure you can. Everyone has their own values and what they will tolerate. If ADM is insulting to them, they have every right to never do business with that dealer. I sure wouldn't do business with a dealer selling cars for a markup and especially for non limited production vehicles. They want to make a quick buck rather than have me come back for every car I buy of that particular make? By all means. But they won't ever have my business.

Just ask all the Ford dealers now calling me about a GT350 they charged 5-15k over 6 months ago. I'm the one laughing at them now, instead of the other way around.
100% agree with the fact that not everyone values the same things. I guess for someone like me who values the price paid/deal over any personal relationship with a dealer, familiarity, etc I personally wouldn't rule out a dealership completely due to emotion. I see the sales people only when I need to buy a car, not on a daily basis. BMW FS visits my checking account every month on the other hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #14
MarkR262
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 / MG / Exec / 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpics80 View Post
Did you get the 17?
Yes, I got a 2017. Not too happy about the change to the Maintenance plan for MY17 from 4 to 3 years duration and the exclusion of brakes, wipers, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #15
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
100% agree with the fact that not everyone values the same things. I guess for someone like me who values the price paid/deal over any personal relationship with a dealer, familiarity, etc I personally wouldn't rule out a dealership completely due to emotion. I see the sales people only when I need to buy a car, not on a daily basis. BMW FS visits my checking account every month on the other hand.
What you say makes total sense. I've found if you have a relationship, it's easier to get a good price that everyone is happy with. Obviously price is most important and if that relationship guy doesn't offer as good of a price as the other guy down the street, you know I'm going to the other guy down the street but I'm giving my relationship guy the opportunity to match.

Out of principle, though, I won't do business with dealers charging markup. There's tons of other dealers I can go to that won't do it and I'm voting with my wallet, however small, that I won't stand for it.

An example of relationships, btw, is my sales guy is going to knock off close to 10% on M performance parts if I get them port installed. Basically invoice on them, give or take.
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #16
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
When I learned my local dealer was doing the markup greed game I sent an email to the GM and said I would love to buy my M2 locally so I could establish a relationship with your dealership and my community would benefit from my sales tax dollars however their decision to take short term profits will force me to go to California for my M2. Shortly after he said he would give me their next allocation for MSRP (they did not start a list on this car). Might try something like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #17
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
Quote:
When I learned my local dealer was doing the markup greed game I sent an email to the GM and said I would love to buy my M2 locally so I could establish a relationship with your dealership and my community would benefit from my sales tax dollars however their decision to take short term profits will force me to go to California for my M2. Shortly after he said he would give me their next allocation for MSRP (they did not start a list on this car). Might try something like that.
Go to California? Good luck! Most dealerships here are selling over msrp.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Wait! Aren't you effectively telling him that his opinion is wrong?!?! Gasp! I didn't think that was allowed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #19
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Wait! Aren't you effectively telling him that his opinion is wrong?!?! Gasp! I didn't think that was allowed.
Holy thread resurrection Batman.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #20
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Yes I know, but for a specific reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #21
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Lol