BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Diverter Valve Upgrade Chuchuchu

02-03-2020, 12:26 AM   #1
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

Diverter Valve Upgrade Chuchuchu

Hey guys,

I've mentioned this product once before in a thread while replying to someone about changing their coolant. But I've now had this installed on my M2 since Mid September and it's been working great so thought others here would like to hear my successful experience of having used the Turbosmart Kompact EM VR11 Diverter Valve (In Australia we call them blow-off valves, but seeing the M2 forum seems to be mostly Americans and Brits, I'd change my terminology lol).

The VR11 diverter valve has been working flawlessly. My car was completely stock apart from a BMS Air Intake when I had the Turbosmart VR11 installed.

I wasn't expecting any sort of power increase but according to the dyno run on the same fuel on different days at similar temperatures (two dyno runs a week apart, both runs at lunch time on the same hub dyno) before the VR11 was installed the average run (3 runs) was 233rwkw and 481nm with a max 12.70psi boost. after the VR11 diverter valve was installed, max power average was 245rwkw and 498nm with 13.40psi boost.

Basically the OEM DV had a tiny boost leak as the plastic construction of the OEM valve can never fully seal (but it does a good enough job most of the time), the Turbosmart product seals properly and doesn't let any unwanted boost leak.

This is on car running stock boost, I could only imagine the leak would get worse when the boost is turned up (ecu tuned).

I had ADVAN Performance at Auburn installed it but watching them do it, I could have done it myself, it was just 3 bolts and the plug fits the OEM harness. I haven't had a single error code on the car since owning it (owned the car now for 7 months), it's done around 10,000km daily driver and spirited country driving (no track days yet). Makes a great induction pressure "CHHHHHHHHHH" sound when you let off the accelerator quickly.

Link to the product I got. They have a plumbed back (quieter) version, but I mostly wanted the noise.
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/k...vr2-dual-port/

I've got videos of the sound it makes but I've no idea how to post videos lol.

I did try another DV fix, but that just performed worse than stock.

I've got catless DP, metal charge pipes and intercooler waiting to go on and will see how it performs with stage 2 tune and will update here once done.

I hope my feedback of this product helps someone here.
I've learnt most of what I know about my M2 from the forums, so I'm just trying to contribute.
Attached Images

Appreciate 14
Bee Pee1737.50
ZM22785.00
tenkies147.00
M2guru374.50
dtmurf477.00
skiparock182.50
Altra265.50
shaneguags1166.50
M2 Ziggy156.00
      02-03-2020, 02:20 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Good to know.

FWIW I have GFB DV+ on my M2 and it was flawless whilst running stock tune and coming into its own with BM3 93 stg 2 OTS. At upper boost levels, GFB DV+ holds boost more consistently than oem DV - which can start to flutter/oscillate for the reasons OP describes above.
ZM22785.00
Mook20.00
      02-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Thanks, didn't even know this product existed. I have a gfb dv plus, have you had an experience with this, how does it compare to this turbosmart unit?

i assume the plumb black would be better for throttle response as its not diverting to atmosphere?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Is this a blow-off valve? While DV+ and OEM are both diverter valves.

Difference being a blow-off valves vent to atmosphere and a diverter valve recirculates the vented air back into the system.

Blow-off valves, in theory, will increase lag and make the car run richer during venting. Possibly requiring a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
Wattens
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Is this a blow-off valve? While DV+ and OEM are both diverter valves.

Difference being a blow-off valves vent to atmosphere and a diverter valve recirculates the vented air back into the system.

Blow-off valves, in theory, will increase lag and make the car run richer during venting. Possibly requiring a custom tune.
I don't know if that terminology is correct.
My 1996 Skyline had a full stock OEM plumb back unit that even Nissan referred to as "Blow off valve", I moved away from turbo cars for 15 years until coming back to the boost side and Diverter Valve was now a thing.

They have a full recirculation version as well that according to their website is $30 cheaper.
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/k...r2-plumb-back/
I haven't tried it, my one is the dual port (vents some to atmosphere and some back into the car, no extra lag, definitely haven't had a tune yet, runs better than stockand although not noticeable power for everyday driving, dyno has it at over 10rwkw and nearly 20nm because it stops the OEM boost leak. The boost also comes on marginally earlier than before according to the dyno and the power band is shifted slightly forward into lower rev range. Although I don't really notice the change in every day driving, I'm confident there is a marginal performance increase.

Last edited by Wattens; 02-03-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
Wattens
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
Thanks, didn't even know this product existed. I have a gfb dv plus, have you had an experience with this, how does it compare to this turbosmart unit?

i assume the plumb black would be better for throttle response as its not diverting to atmosphere?
I have used it, originally I tried putting that in but had issues with fitment and returned it without ever running it on the car and wasted many hours on it. Then found this which purely replaces the OEM DV. IMO a much better alternative, and when I come to sell the car, I'll put the stock back in, and sell the Turbosmart unit on Ebay lol

I guess in theory full plumbback could be better for response, but with the dual port I got which vents some to atmosphere and some back to the car, I haven't noticed any less throttle response. Probably because it's still recirculating some air back to the car. I'm just guessing though I'm not that technical. For me it was mostly for the sound, having slight performance increases and future proofing from exponential turbo leak as I turn the boost up in the future was the aim of the game for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #8
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Was this a pure plug and play? OR did you need to some wiring modifications?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:35 PM   #9
Wattens
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
Was this a pure plug and play? OR did you need to some wiring modifications?
Complete plug and play.
Unbolt the stock DV, unplug it from the wiring harness.
Replace with the VR11 unit, and plug the harness into the OEM plug.
Appreciate 1
tenkies147.00
      02-04-2020, 12:25 AM   #10
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattens View Post
I have used it, originally I tried putting that in but had issues with fitment and returned it without ever running it on the car and wasted many hours on it. Then found this which purely replaces the OEM DV. IMO a much better alternative, and when I come to sell the car, I'll put the stock back in, and sell the Turbosmart unit on Ebay lol

I guess in theory full plumbback could be better for response, but with the dual port I got which vents some to atmosphere and some back to the car, I haven't noticed any less throttle response. Probably because it's still recirculating some air back to the car. I'm just guessing though I'm not that technical. For me it was mostly for the sound, having slight performance increases and future proofing from exponential turbo leak as I turn the boost up in the future was the aim of the game for me.
awesome, naturally one is going to request a sound clip haha. please send a couple from in the car and outside if you can

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #11
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

I love that op says "it was just 3 bolts" - those are the hardest bolts to get to on the entire car! Lol!
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #12
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Where in the engine bay is this located?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #13
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Btw OP - you should join the Drivemasters FB group if you aren't already a member. We have a drive on this Sunday!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Where in the engine bay is this located?
Oh man. Didn't they teach you the song in 2nd grade?

Engine bone connected to the exhaust manifold bone
Exhaust manifold bone connected to the turbone
Turbone connected to the diverter valve bone
Now hear the word of the lord.

It's #9 here
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
      03-28-2020, 03:05 AM   #15
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
I love that op says "it was just 3 bolts" - those are the hardest bolts to get to on the entire car! Lol!
I second that.. This change is a major pain. No way to get to it from top, had to do it from bottom. Even doing this during IC change does not help a great deal.

The end result is satisfactory, had I knew, would give it to a professional shop to install and went for a good coffee instead 😅. (5 hours -3 bolts and an IC change, call me a noob &#129335
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #16
Seba_r
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Complete plug and play.

I don't understand something, my oem DV doesn't have wiring harness? I have M2 2017....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #17
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba_r View Post
Quote:
Complete plug and play.

I don't understand something, my oem DV doesn't have wiring harness? I have M2 2017....
Of course it does have a wiring. You will need to unplug it and when installing the new diverter simply plug it in.

There is a benefit of the TurboSmart DV position of wiring, which is you will always orientate the diverter properly as there is only one way out of 3 when it doesn't interfere with its surrounding.
Appreciate 1
Wattens59.00
      03-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #18
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

So I can understand better spool-up due to stopping boost leak, but wouldn't the targeted boost be the same? Thus there shouldn't be any HP gains?
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 05:41 AM   #19
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Maybe it's my research abilities but I can't find any technical info about this 'award-winning' Kompact EM series Blow-Off Valve. The award it won was the Performance-Street New Product Award at SEMA 2018 and it's for sale on many aftermarket sites but the supporting information is a direct lift from Turbosmart's web site which has no information other than it being plug and play.

I'm wondering about the OEM valve, is a plumb back or a dual port?

I understand the Eventuri intake is all about the bling but I'd consider it for engine dressing except I hate how pronounced it makes the blow off whistle sound (the OP's "great induction pressure "CHHHHHHHHHH" sound when you let off the accelerator quickly" isn't for me...a friend's STi used to drive me nuts).

If the OEM is dual port, would upgrading to the plumb back minimize the pop and whistle?

If the OEM is plum back, why does the Eventuri intake make is more pronounced, is it just because it's open?

Last edited by dtmurf; 04-15-2020 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: type-o
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Maybe it's my research abilities but I can't find any technical info about this 'award-winning' Kompact EM series Blow-Off Valve. The award it won was the Performance-Street New Product Award at SEMA 2018 and it's for sale on many aftermarket sites but the supporting information is a direct lift from Turbosmart's web site which has no information other than it being plug and play.

I'm wondering about the OEM valve, is a plumb back or a dual port?

I understand the Eventuri intake is all about the bling but I'd consider it for engine dressing except I hate how pronounced it makes the blow off whistle sound (the OP's "great induction pressure "CHHHHHHHHHH" sound when you let off the accelerator quickly" isn't for me...a friend's STi used to drive me nuts).

If the OEM is dual port, would upgrading to the plumb back minimize the pop and whistle?

If the OEM is plum back, why does the Eventuri intake make is more pronounced, is it just because it's open?
Original is PB
Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00
      04-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #21
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
So I can understand better spool-up due to stopping boost leak, but wouldn't the targeted boost be the same? Thus there shouldn't be any HP gains?
DV upgrade improves responsiveness for std tune and eliminates oem flutter (at high boost levels) which DME can interpret and reduce ign adv, fuelling and or boost.
eeyang92318.50
dtmurf477.00
      04-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #22
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Wondering who sells the VR11 in the US? It seems you can't buy it directly from Turbosmart, you have to buy it from a distributor...