BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > I heard the M2 is quite reliable. True ?

03-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #67
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Debt View Post
Luckily I thought to record it. Warranty ends very soon, let the battle begin.

Wow, thats LOUD, glad you recorded!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #68
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Wow, thats LOUD, glad you recorded!!!!!
I'm still debating whether or not I should get mine done, but I don't trust my dealership to do it. They botched a simple brake fluid flush and some residual brake fluid got on my calipers and it bubbled a bit if the paint. So I'm hesitant to trust them on such a big job, plus the issue has completely resided.

Eventually I'll get to installing MILVS in the future and I'll replace the eccentric shaft and valvetronic motor at the same time.
      03-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #69
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
Yeah, as previously said. There is that vent next to the amp which you can see on this picture, and there is some dried water stains. Additionally I taped it on the bottom part. It can get wet even without tinting work, just from water getting behind the wheel fender.
Is this still the case with the M2 Competition?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #70
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Is this still the case with the M2 Competition?
It depends on the manufacturing date. According to ETK it is applied from 15 March 2019. So earlier cars won't have it unless installed later.
Best way is to check it, not a big work to remove the left trunk trim panel.
      03-15-2020, 10:03 PM   #71
dio
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

iDrive needed to be replaced just before the two year mark at 6,000 km.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #72
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
For the fob problem, aside from the electronics interfering with the signal (very likely, happened to me with a fried dashcam that annoyed the TPMS) have you put in a new fob battery? That should be first.

As for reliability, my car (18 months) has been good, with just a iDrive replacement and a steering rack replacement to rectify a notchy feel that no one noticed but me. And 5 additional service visits to fix things that they left unplugged during the other visits.
Yup I've changed the battery and I even received a replacement key, no fix. It only happened after I put in a whole bunch of electronics so it's probably due to that. Like my dash camera is also wifi based + 2 phones + tablet + wifi mhd adapter + radar detector and so on. Plus my rear dash cam goes along the rear windshield where the antennas are embedded in the glass which surely doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I don't think you'll find reliability issues with the M2. But what you'll probably find is high maintenance costs as the miles rise. I haven't looked at the schedule since my car has only 12K on the clock, but I'm sure a clutch isn't cheap, and standard things like brake rotors tend to be a LOT more expensive than those of other brands (BMW tax).

So, if you plan to have it 4 to 5 years with average or low miles, no worries, but if you plan to keep it for the long haul then it's undoubtedly going to cost you some coin.
Clutches are around $500 iirc. So pretty cheap imo. Especially since the m2 manual transmission clutch can hold 700 whp/700 wtq according to pure who has a manual m4 making that much power.
This isn't the same twin clutch from the M4? Someone told me a few thousand to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #73
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
This isn't the same twin clutch from the M4? Someone told me a few thousand to replace it.
Yes it's the same dct as the m4, same manual as well. Iirc it's $13k for the whole entire dct transmission, and $5k for the manual.
      03-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #74
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it's the same dct as the m4, same manual as well. Iirc it's $13k for the whole entire dct transmission, and $5k for the manual.
I meant the manual clutch. Although parts seem modest, I've read it's a 7 hour job which could rack up a big bill.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #75
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Debt View Post
Luckily I thought to record it. Warranty ends very soon, let the battle begin.
Had the same issue and they fixed it under warranty. Here's my work order:

Appreciate 4
M2Debt98.00
Poochie9099.00
      03-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #76
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I meant the manual clutch. Although parts seem modest, I've read it's a 7 hour job which could rack up a big bill.
oh that's like $500, and it's not too bad of a day job either.
trey1001125.00
      03-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #77
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Had the same issue and they fixed it under warranty. Here's my work order:

Wait, did they not change the eccentric shaft? That's the most difficult to access part and it's the most expensive at ~$1k. The actuator isn't as hard to service compared to the shaft, and it's cheaper.
      03-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #78
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wait, did they not change the eccentric shaft? That's the most difficult to access part and it's the most expensive at ~$1k. The actuator isn't as hard to service compared to the shaft, and it's cheaper.
Correct, it was just a faulty actuator.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2020, 11:48 PM   #79
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Correct, it was just a faulty actuator.
From all the threads, and articles I read online about this issue, the eccentric shaft gets pretty beat up as well and it would likely be wise to try and get them to warranty that as well.

I also think in later software updates (ISTEP) for the car they may have disabled the valvetronic pulsing or manipulations when opening or closing the door. This could be the reason why my car doesn't make those noises anymore upon unlocking, locking, opening, and closing the door like it did before. But then again my car did stop making these noises over a year and bit before I got the software update so it might just be that my car got "better". Anyhow I do think that if it is a software update that would be a smart idea, because if the motor is off and it tries to pulse that solenoid for whatever reason it would cause cause noises like that as the oiling system is off and won't be supplying any lubrication. This will cause binding in the gears and thus cause that noise. Atelast that's my theory any ways,
      03-16-2020, 11:52 PM   #80
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From all the threads, and articles I read online about this issue, the eccentric shaft gets pretty beat up as well and it would likely be wise to try and get them to warranty that as well.
In my case they examined it and deemed it fine.
      03-17-2020, 02:52 AM   #81
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I hope they did, because the service report said they only changed the actuator according to the bmw tsarsa report. Also unless the report told them to specifically remove the eccentric shaft I doubt they did, because it would take alot more labour hours to do so because all of the valve springs need to come out too. So if the eccentric shaft wasn't removed it would be impossible to inspect it. Not trying to be negative, just trying to analyze the situation to see what bmw generally does.
      03-17-2020, 03:00 AM   #82
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
I hope they did, because the service report said they only changed the actuator according to the bmw tsarsa report. Also unless the report told them to specifically remove the eccentric shaft I doubt they did, because it would take alot more labour hours to do so because all of the valve springs need to come out too. So if the eccentric shaft wasn't removed it would be impossible to inspect it. Not trying to be negative, just trying to analyze the situation to see what bmw generally does.
It look like a pretty strait forward job, if you have a semblance of WTF you're doing..

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-gear/Cz508VSE
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 04:01 AM   #83
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It look like a pretty strait forward job, if you have a semblance of WTF you're doing..

You need a crap ton of specialty tools to get the job done, from valve spring removal tools to timing tools. The valve springs are the worst to remove since they're under a lot of spring pressure. Otherwise it's not too bad of a job, still not easy though. It always looks easy and straight forward until you do it and deal with the complex mess under that is BMW engineering.

But the real issue isn't the job, it's the price these things cost. $1K for the eccentric shaft and $500 for the actuator. Then you might have to replace the oil sprayers and bearings the shaft sits on which is also stupid expensive. Also if BMW decided to use their awesome torque to yield bolts you can expect another huge bill in bolts.
trey1001125.00
      03-17-2020, 04:08 AM   #84
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

You need a crap ton of specialty tools to get the job done, from valve spring removal tools to timing tools. The valve springs are the worst to remove since they're under a lot of spring pressure. Otherwise it's not too bad of a job, still not easy though. It always looks easy and straight forward until you do it and deal with the complex mess under that is BMW engineering.

But the real issue isn't the job, it's the price these things cost. $1K for the eccentric shaft and $500 for the actuator. Then you might have to replace the oil sprayers and bearings the shaft sits on which is also stupid expensive. Also if BMW decided to use their awesome torque to yield bolts you can expect another huge bill in bolts.
I got you, sometimes a job looks easy, on paper, but might take a little bit of luck to complete, when incidentals pop-up like a bolt seize or a piece doesn't fit right, ect..

Although, there are some techs that are really nice with disassembling and assembling.. I know this one back-yard mechanic that could take apart a whole motor, in like a half hour but not everyone has the Midas Touch, then, like you mention, the right tool makes all the difference or else you have to make substitutions which drives more time and skill set..
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      03-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #85
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The car was there for a few days and I got a call from the service manager who said they took a look at it so I trust that they examined it and everything was fine. If they lied and didn't then there isn't really much I can do about it. The car is running great so I don't have any reason to suspect there's an issue nor do I have a reason to go in and demand they look at it (again). Dealerships make money off of warranty work so I doubt there would be a reason that they saw an issue and chose not to do anything about it or were too lazy to perform a task. Changing parts and performing labor-intensive tasks earns them money.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #86
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The car was there for a few days and I got a call from the service manager who said they took a look at it so I trust that they examined it and everything was fine. If they lied and didn't then there isn't really much I can do about it. The car is running great so I don't have any reason to suspect there's an issue nor do I have a reason to go in and demand they look at it (again). Dealerships make money off of warranty work so I doubt there would be a reason that they saw an issue and chose not to do anything about it or were too lazy to perform a task. Changing parts and performing labor-intensive tasks earns them money.
True, but if BMW was only going to pay them for x amount of hours they won't just adding in a few more hours of labour just to pull the eccentric shaft out and inspect it. They'd just take a glance over it while it was still on the car and if it wasn't too marred up they wouldn't do anything. Not perfect, but definitely better than nothing.
      03-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #87
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
True, but if BMW was only going to pay them for x amount of hours they won't just adding in a few more hours of labour just to pull the eccentric shaft out and inspect it. They'd just take a glance over it while it was still on the car and if it wasn't too marred up they wouldn't do anything. Not perfect, but definitely better than nothing.
I mean that's out of my control. All I can do is hope/assume that it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #88
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I mean that's out of my control. All I can do is hope/assume that it's fine.
It should be fine, the sound is gone so that's always a good sign.