BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bmw F series N55 HPFP upgrades

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #177
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
478
Rep
1,149
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
No, no filter yet .. I was looking around for one that provides adequate flow and serviceability and Spool pissed us off so that's no longer viable. I'm kind of curious where one would be mounted under the car, we'll get a better look today. TBH, we actually good for a couple of months as we still haven't decided on a turbo yet. So in short - we wouldn't run an 'e' blend until then (when tuned).

In the meantime, any suggestions ? Seems odd that Fuel-It doesn't actually offer one that would integrate with their full kit. I see Earls, E85 freaks, Aeromotive etc.. We'd just need the proper dash fittings and barbs.
On my m235i I had the fuel labs fuel filter and custom an lines, if you have the push lock style lines it will be a huge pita to convert back to AN. I used a fuel filter holder and bolted it in the engine bay. Can't really remember too much detail now on how I mounted it.

Fuel labs is probably the best, but the filters are single use.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #178
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
478
Rep
1,149
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo1234 View Post
Been running my ttfs HPFP for about a year and a half, also have stage 2 LPFP and ethanol sensor with upgraded fuel lines. I generally run e50.

I had my injectors fail about a month ago. They have now been replaced, but I'm wondering if it's a coincidence with the ethanol? Car is now at about 30k.

I'm looking at an option to add a HPFP inline filter just for some extra peace of mind also, but nothing seems available without heavy modifications.
It could be, because now you're forcing the injectors to flow past their designed limit and ethanol lacks lubricity and tends to dry out seals. That's why when running e85 always run a top cylinder lube, power plus has some good stuff.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #179
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
92
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Thank you for this. I'll look into the Fuel Labs a little more, could have sworn their filters were replaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
On my m235i I had the fuel labs fuel filter and custom an lines, if you have the push lock style lines it will be a huge pita to convert back to AN. I used a fuel filter holder and bolted it in the engine bay. Can't really remember too much detail now on how I mounted it.

Fuel labs is probably the best, but the filters are single use.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #180
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
478
Rep
1,149
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Thank you for this. I'll look into the Fuel Labs a little more, could have sworn their filters were replaceable.
You replace the cartridge inside not the whole housing. If you use e85 make sure you get the correct filter material.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #181
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
92
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

You're right. I meant to say reusable. The labs 818 is 10 micron, e85 compatible and uses a cellulose filter element (disposable). In order to move to a reusable you'd step up to a 45 micron. At the moment, kind of stuck with routing the fuel line up to the LPFP. Might hold off until this is resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You replace the cartridge inside not the whole housing. If you use e85 make sure you get the correct filter material.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #182
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
92
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

ZM2

Just a quick update. UPS dropped off the replacement flange and new bolts. We also received an email indicating that the new bolts are longer and should help us in maintaining a 15nm torque. Dorch has been amazing in handling this issue. It's comforting to know that if something goes wrong, they reply lighting fast and ship the part overnight so you can finish up and get back on the road. Yep, amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Wow, if I could give you and your husband 50 appreciation clicks I would. This is what this forum is about, and thank you for letting us all know!

Sounds like you all may be up and running next weekend?
Appreciate 1
ZM21092.00

      03-31-2020, 11:08 AM   #183
ZM2
Lieutenant Colonel
1092
Rep
1,767
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
ZM2

Just a quick update. UPS dropped off the replacement flange and new bolts. We also received an email indicating that the new bolts are longer and should help us in maintaining a 15nm torque. Dorch has been amazing in handling this issue. It's comforting to know that if something goes wrong, they reply lighting fast and ship the part overnight so you can finish up and get back on the road. Yep, amazing.
Thanks for the update. Please let us know how your install wraps up!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #184
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
92
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Install went very well, the new flange and longer bolts went in with zero issues. I will say this though, the vacuum line that sits just forward of the HPFP will be very difficult to release once the new pump is installed. Difficult but not impossible. Something to keep in mind.

We now just need to re-install the manifold and all the bits and pieces. We'll do that this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Thanks for the update. Please let us know how your install wraps up!
Appreciate 1
ZM21092.00

      04-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #185
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
92
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

So I have a possible concern over the LPFP line placement. The OEM line is in two sections. The HPFP hard line which is secured by [2] 13mm bolts (underneath a large wiring block) and a flex line that routes to the OEM fuel line. When you remove the hard line and flex line, you're provided with a new flex line (braided). The instructions indicate to route this behind the HPFP, through a new provided mount (keeps it off the engine) and underneath the wire harness (where the hard line was mounted).

So in short, the line is pretty close (OK really close if not touching) to the engine in this routing pattern. The new line is much larger (than the hard line) and there is really no room underneath the wiring block. So rather than run the line underneath, we ran it over the wire block. The manifold looks like it'll clear without issues and this keeps it away from the engine.

I'm not sure how many people have actually performed the install but I'd like to hear what others think. Sometimes it's one of those, if you have to ask situations but this is also good for others performing the install.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #186
designatedposter
Second Lieutenant
61
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: ct

iTrader: (0)

is there a need for the inline fuel filters? is e85 fuel regulated differently for debris than gasoline? or is this a 'while i'm in there' upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #187
ZM2
Lieutenant Colonel
1092
Rep
1,767
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Install went very well, the new flange and longer bolts went in with zero issues. I will say this though, the vacuum line that sits just forward of the HPFP will be very difficult to release once the new pump is installed. Difficult but not impossible. Something to keep in mind.

We now just need to re-install the manifold and all the bits and pieces. We'll do that this weekend.
Great to hear. So, is it your recommendation to ask Dorch for longer mounting bolts?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #188
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
92
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Great question. When we first reached out to them, they thought (initially) it was our torque wrench and the low rating required for install. In other words, perhaps the calibration was off. When the new parts shipped, they indicated that it probably wasn't the torque wrench and to maintain 15nm. So I'm left to wonder if the flange had a possible issue when it was machined. The longer bolts seem like an added security. I'm sure they look at this statistically and may be including longer bolts on new shipments as it's cheap insurance.

TLDR: Yes, I'd reach out and ask if they can provide the longer bolts (4mm longer). How close are you to doing the install ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Great to hear. So, is it your recommendation to ask Dorch for longer mounting bolts?
Appreciate 1
ZM21092.00

      04-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #189
ZM2
Lieutenant Colonel
1092
Rep
1,767
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Great question. When we first reached out to them, they thought (initially) it was our torque wrench and the low rating required for install. In other words, perhaps the calibration was off. When the new parts shipped, they indicated that it probably wasn't the torque wrench and to maintain 15nm. So I'm left to wonder if the flange had a possible issue when it was machined. The longer bolts seem like an added security. I'm sure they look at this statistically and may be including longer bolts on new shipments as it's cheap insurance.

TLDR: Yes, I'd reach out and ask if they can provide the longer bolts (4mm longer). How close are you to doing the install ?
Probably a month out for install for me. Iíll hit them up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #190
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
478
Rep
1,149
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
is there a need for the inline fuel filters? is e85 fuel regulated differently for debris than gasoline? or is this a 'while i'm in there' upgrade?
Imo it's more for added protection but no fully needed.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #191
ZM2
Lieutenant Colonel
1092
Rep
1,767
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Great question. When we first reached out to them, they thought (initially) it was our torque wrench and the low rating required for install. In other words, perhaps the calibration was off. When the new parts shipped, they indicated that it probably wasn't the torque wrench and to maintain 15nm. So I'm left to wonder if the flange had a possible issue when it was machined. The longer bolts seem like an added security. I'm sure they look at this statistically and may be including longer bolts on new shipments as it's cheap insurance.

TLDR: Yes, I'd reach out and ask if they can provide the longer bolts (4mm longer). How close are you to doing the install ?
Fast and good response from Dorch:

“This was a fairly isolated incident. Over the years we’ve done hundreds of these kits (Dorch Engineering is a new brand, but we’ve been automotive engineers/suppliers for a while!) and only 2 have had this issue. We looked further into it and it looks like a couple of the S2 kits received the wrong bolts (this has since been solved). The S1 kits never had any parts bin mix-ups so you are good to go!”
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #192
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
92
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

No kidding, they never indicated that to us (probably took them some time to figure that one out). Well, that's good news. The bolt is 55mm from bottom of bolt head to last thread. Just in case anyone wonders if they have the correct bolts for the S2 kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Fast and good response from Dorch:

“This was a fairly isolated incident. Over the years we’ve done hundreds of these kits (Dorch Engineering is a new brand, but we’ve been automotive engineers/suppliers for a while!) and only 2 have had this issue. We looked further into it and it looks like a couple of the S2 kits received the wrong bolts (this has since been solved). The S1 kits never had any parts bin mix-ups so you are good to go!”

Last edited by ///Monika; 04-09-2020 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Adding some addt'l info.
Appreciate 1
ZM21092.00

      05-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #193
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
112
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Just a quick update. UPS dropped off the replacement flange and new bolts. We also received an email indicating that the new bolts are longer and should help us in maintaining a 15nm torque. Dorch has been amazing in handling this issue. It's comforting to know that if something goes wrong, they reply lighting fast and ship the part overnight so you can finish up and get back on the road. Yep, amazing.

I ordered my kit back during the pre-order phase but just got around to installing it. Everything was going smoothly until I had the same issue and the bolt stripped out the threaded holes in the flange. The bolts never even really snugged up so they started stripping out the holes almost immediately. Looks like I have the bad batch of bolts as mine is 55mm from the top of the bolt face to the very end.

Chris at Dorch was very quick to respond even though it was around 6 PM EST. Hopefully will have my replacment parts very quickly so I can get the car back on the road.
__________________
:::: 2017 AW M2 ::::
BM3 Stage 2 93 Flash - Ohlins R&T Coilovers - FI Valvetronic Exhaust w/ CF tips - Remus Catted Downpipe - CTS Intake - CSF Intercooler - ER Charge Pipe - Vorshlag Camber plates - Goodridge SS braided brake lines - Ferodo DS2500 pads - Ultimate Clutch Pedal - Rogue Engineering SSK
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #194
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
478
Rep
1,149
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'm still debating between Dorch and spool, if Dorch had AN style connectors I probably would go with them since spool still hasn't released their FX-180
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #195
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1241
Rep
1,822
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I'm still debating between Dorch and spool, if Dorch had AN style connectors I probably would go with them since spool still hasn't released their FX-180
Can you buy your own AN fittings? Or do they have to be custom fit to this kit?
__________________
Click "Appreciate" on my post if I was helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #196
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
478
Rep
1,149
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Can you buy your own AN fittings? Or do they have to be custom fit to this kit?

I don't think you can modify the pump to have AN fittings instead of the OE style push lock fittings without voiding the warranty. So if you buy an HPFP upgrade without the AN fittings from the get go you are likely stuck with it that way. If you don't care about warranty I am sure you could swap out those fittings if the screw in and aren't welded in.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:32 AM   #197
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1241
Rep
1,822
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I don't think you can modify the pump to have AN fittings instead of the OE style push lock fittings without voiding the warranty. So if you buy an HPFP upgrade without the AN fittings from the get go you are likely stuck with it that way. If you don't care about warranty I am sure you could swap out those fittings if the screw in and aren't welded in.
Oh. I see what you mean. I wonder if someone makes an adapter.
__________________
Click "Appreciate" on my post if I was helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:26 AM   #198
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
478
Rep
1,149
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Oh. I see what you mean. I wonder if someone makes an adapter.
I really doubt they would because more connections equals more chances of a leak.

There is really no benefit of going with AN lines over the push lock fittings because you can still get premade fuel lines either way. The reason why I like AN is because there is more AN fittings out there allowing for more flexibility when building fuel lines diy (you have angled fittings, swivels etc), and AN fittings are more widely used so it is easier to integrate fuel filters. That's not to say you can't do the same with push lock fittings (build a line with AN fittings and go push lock at the very end).


But the main reason why I prefer AN is because spool performance has life time warranties on everything they sell, so it saves me the time to DIY a fuel line (not fun at all to cut stainless AN hoses and insert fittings, and if you go too short accidentally then that line could be screwed) and I get life time warranty. Whereas fuel-it does not have life time warranty for their push lock style fuel line and the price is kind of high, plus I prefer stainless lines.


I hope that wasn't too confusing lol, I kinda just brain dumped.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST