BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Can I swap race pads and stocks for daily use without issue?

02-23-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
faustus89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Can I swap race pads and stocks for daily use without issue?

Hi friends,

I am fairly new to the track life and after hours of struggling, was able to change my pads (yeah for learning!).

The race pads I purchased are Pagid RSL29. When not using it on the track, would changing them out for the stock pads for daily use negatively affect anything like the rotors?

As a follow-up, I did change them out, would I need to set the brakes after each time I swap it (considering there isn't any issues with swapping them)?

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
No issues swapping back and forth. I typically try to bed the track pads after wearing off the street pad transfer layer, but don't really bother trying to bed the street pads when they go back in.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #3
faustus89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
No issues swapping back and forth. I typically try to bed the track pads after wearing off the street pad transfer layer, but don't really bother trying to bed the street pads when they go back in.
Thank you so much! Super helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #4
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

I swap between stocks and PFC08 pads after a track weekend without issue.

No material buildup, or adverse effects beyond driving into the office on Friday on endurance pads that squeal like a stuck pig.

Stock brake system with pads & fluid is very good.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Are you in an OG M2 or the M2C? M2C bolts that hold the front caliper are one-time use so be sure to replace with each swap.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
AKD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Are you in an OG M2 or the M2C? M2C bolts that hold the front caliper are one-time use so be sure to replace with each swap.
Wait for real? I’ve been using the same ones (the bolts on the backside of the caliper) and then re-torquing to spec. The DIY vids I’ve used never mention that they’re one time use.
      02-26-2022, 02:48 AM   #7
Xeon555
Rep
Drives: BMW m2 Honda S2000

Technically they are 1 time use but you can get away with using them more then once
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You can get away with playing Russian Roulette too, and when it comes to brake parts this is an appropriate comparison. ESPECIALLY since OP is tracking the car, it would be nuts to take the risk. Save the penny-pinching for those chinese CF spoilers - new caliper bolts aren't an expensive item (and fcp Euro makes it a one-time purchase).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #9
AKD
Private
United_States
Rep

Seems a bit excessive to me considering we don’t replace any other parts (retaining clip, pins, etc) whenever the calipers come off. They aren’t torque to yield so I don’t know why they’d need to be replaced each time. The BMW TIS says to “renew OR replace” the bolts which usually means clean and replace only if necessary. I’ve tracked my m2, m3 and s2000 plenty without replacing the caliper bolts unless they didn’t pass visual inspection, and many of those days were 100F+

That said, maybe I’m just a lucky SOB that hasn’t angered the brake gods enough. I might start replacing after each season or go the FCP euro route and have a steady exchange program. Anyone have the part number handy? Doesn’t show up ECS or FCP when filtering by car.
      03-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #10
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

IIRC these ARE torque-to-yield, with a torque value plus x-degrees (don't have it handy though, would be listed in TIS if you have that info to share?). This is what I ordered from FCP: BMW Brake Caliper Carrier Mounting Bolt - Genuine BMW 34106864424 About $7 per and you need 4.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #11
AKD
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
IIRC these ARE torque-to-yield, with a torque value plus x-degrees (don't have it handy though, would be listed in TIS if you have that info to share?). This is what I ordered from FCP: BMW Brake Caliper Carrier Mounting Bolt - Genuine BMW 34106864424 About $7 per and you need 4.
So now I'm truly lost. The bolts I'm referring to connect the caliper to the knuckle and they're on the backside of the caliper. You pretty much need to be directly under the brakes to remove and retorque them. They are 18mm standard bolts and the TIS (which is now behind a stupid BMW paywall) calls for 101nm and nothing else.

I know there are bolts on the side of the caliper connected to the carrier but BMW does not provide a torque spec for those and does not call for their removal when swapping pads.

This video does a good job demonstrating the BMW TIS procedure:
      03-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #12
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKD View Post
So now I'm truly lost. The bolts I'm referring to connect the caliper to the knuckle and they're on the backside of the caliper. ...
This video does a good job demonstrating the BMW TIS procedure:
Thanks for posting this vid. I'm realizing I've got it mixed up a bit. The front bolts that I was told are single use are the ones circled at c. 4:45. I think I got it mixed up with the rear caliper bolts that are torque-to-yield (30NM + 90 degrees). TIS shows these as identical bolts/torques so I assumed both should be replaced (TIS does list it as a 'renew screw'). I figure that for $15 per side it is worth it when time to change pads. And if you really miss TIS PM me.
Appreciate 0