BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > F87 M2 share your alignment specs

05-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #23
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Hey guys reviving this thread...

Have had my Ohlins + GC camber plates installed last week and since the install, the tire/road noises/NVH have gone up 2-3 fold... Car is headache inducing right now on the highway with that wind/tire/road echoish sound in the car. I have no clue if it's the lower stance or the increased camber causing such noise, because it is present also at mid speed.

I checked my tire pressure and it was a bit too high (38-40 PSI) so I reduced it and it didn't change anything.

I have a hard believing it is only the new camber plates causing that much change in the road noise. Everything appears to be tight and well installed.

I checked my alignment sheet again today and noticed the toe seemed to be quite high...

Could that be the cause of the excessive tire noises?

Thanks for the help!

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #24
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Did you change to solid bushings anywhere when you did suspension? Did your installer set your shocks at full stiff or something?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #25
chip_dip19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

It's likely the toe. You can run 0 toe front with minimal toe in on the rear
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #26
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Geometry changes don't increase road noise. But a lack of rubber between the suspension and the bodyshell do.

Check the fitting.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #27
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Did you change to solid bushings anywhere when you did suspension? Did your installer set your shocks at full stiff or something?
Didn't change anything except the coilovers, camber plates and 10 mm spacers... Install was done at a reputable race shop, everything appears to be tight and well installed. Noise appeared straight when I left the shop, with OEM wheels and MPSS and with 763M wheels and Cup 2 tires... Coilovers have been set at 15 and 18 clicks. Rides like OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip_dip19 View Post
It's likely the toe. You can run 0 toe front with minimal toe in on the rear
I know I need a new alignment... The shop went a bit too optimistic on the race application of the car... Will have it corrected to 0 all around (or maybe max 0.1 at the rear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Geometry changes don't increase road noise. But a lack of rubber between the suspension and the bodyshell do.

Check the fitting.
That's what I have been told by a reputable shop (HPAutosport). They don't believe my toe cause the increased noise. They point the camber plates being too noisy for my taste...

I'm a bit clueless... The suspension rides beautifully, no clunk or anything, bumps modulation is great, but there is always that noisy tire sound resonating in the background in the cabin. It appears at 50-70 km/h and is irritating at 120 km/h. Guess I'm too sensitive for camber plates...

Will have the alignment corrected, double check that every part/bolt is tight and swap for OEM top hats if nothing changes...

Last edited by S1monQc; 05-21-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #28
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

I also ordered seals for the front doors to isolate the sound coming from the tires...

See this post/thread about sound deadening:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=123

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...34&postcount=1

Since the tires are rolling outside the fender area (-2,4 camber and 10 mm spacers), I think it's not a bad idea to seal the area between the fender and the doors...

Simon
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #29
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

After some more digging tonight, I noticed some interesting things about the plastic/rubber spacers supposed to be in place around the springs front and rear.

Here is Ohlins manual front and rear:

#6 for front and #4 for rear have the same part number (rubber spacers)

#4 for front and #8 for rear have the same part number (plastic spacers)

Well here is the pics of my coilovers:

Rubber spacer is in place, but...

I don't see any plastic spacer at the bottom...

Same situation at the back... There is no spacers at the top of the springs, so the spring is straight on the lock ring...

Will get in touch with the shop and Ohlins to ask for some more spacers... If possible all rubber...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #30
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Interesting a lot of people are leaning towards zero toe in the rear. Something I've never tried in a RWD car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #31
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
Hey guys reviving this thread...

Have had my Ohlins + GC camber plates installed last week and since the install, the tire/road noises/NVH have gone up 2-3 fold... Car is headache inducing right now on the highway with that wind/tire/road echoish sound in the car. I have no clue if it's the lower stance or the increased camber causing such noise, because it is present also at mid speed.

I checked my tire pressure and it was a bit too high (38-40 PSI) so I reduced it and it didn't change anything.

I have a hard believing it is only the new camber plates causing that much change in the road noise. Everything appears to be tight and well installed.

I checked my alignment sheet again today and noticed the toe seemed to be quite high...

Could that be the cause of the excessive tire noises?

Thanks for the help!

That does seem odd. Maybe recheck the camber plates (everything tight, operating properly). I have the same (almost) set up (Ohlins R&T and Vorschlag plates) and I had no detectable NVH increase over stock.

I'll look at the suspension and see about the rubber spacers. Here is my full kit, pre-install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #32
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
That does seem odd. Maybe recheck the camber plates (everything tight, operating properly). I have the same (almost) set up (Ohlins R&T and Vorschlag plates) and I had no detectable NVH increase over stock.

I'll look at the suspension and see about the rubber spacers. Here is my full kit, pre-install.
Thanks for the reply

Shop said the provided spacers were all installed... And that does match your picture with only 1 kit of rubber spacer at the front and 1 kit of plastic spacers at the back. Basically Ohlins instructions aren't good and the instructions PDF has multiple revisions with different informations... Not very happy with Ohlins for that one...

I will have my alignment corrected with 0 toe and maybe reduced camber up front (-2 instead of -2,4) and if I get tired of the sound, will put back OEM plates. Everyone I consulted are telling me the sound comes from the camber plates and I wish I had Vorshlag plates on hand to try these, but dunno if it's worth the $$ and hassle to have these swapped to maybe have noise reduction
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #33
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Something is not right man.

I have the exact same setup as you and had 0 additional noises or NVH unless I hit a massive pothole the front will crash more than the stock rubber mounts.

But that's only on a pothole big enough to make you cringe slightly.

No new noises / added harmonics at any speed.

Also running -2.5 up front on 19/19 stock tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #34
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovairdf87 View Post

I have the exact same setup as you and had 0 additional noises or NVH unless I hit a massive pothole the front will crash more than the stock rubber mounts.

Why does it only happen to me lol
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #35
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
Quote:

Why does it only happen to me lol
Mine varies depending on road surface. I just installed Ohlins R&T w/ Swift Springs and Vorshlag camber plates. Got alignment and corner balance after install, hardly needed any tweaking to get corner balance to 49.93% cross balance.

Alignment specs:

-2.5° Camber Front
0 Toe Front
-2.0° Camber Rear
1/16" Toe in Rear

Mostly smooth to smooth roads are same/similar to stock for NVH but roads with really rough surface have a decent increase in what sounds like tire/road noise. Moderate condition roads have a slight increase in this road noise but not really noticeable. No clunking on bumps other than big potholes as other have mentioned. I have the supplemental door seals already.

I am sensitive to increase in NVH and I did an 8 hour round trip the day after my alignment/corner balance. It didn't drive me crazy so I guess I would say any NVH I have noticed is minimal.

EDIT: This is with brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires as well.
      05-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #36
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Mine varies depending on road surface. I just installed Ohlins R&T w/ Swift Springs and Vorshlag camber plates. Got alignment and corner balance after install, hardly needed any tweaking to get corner balance to 49.93% cross balance.

Alignment specs:

-2.5° Camber Front
0 Toe Front
-2.0° Camber Rear
1/16" Toe in Rear

Mostly smooth to smooth roads are same/similar to stock for NVH but roads with really rough surface have a decent increase in what sounds like tire/road noise. Moderate condition roads have a slight increase in this road noise but not really noticeable. No clunking on bumps other than big potholes as other have mentioned. I have the supplemental door seals already.

I am sensitive to increase in NVH and I did an 8 hour round trip the day after my alignment/corner balance. It didn't drive me crazy so I guess I would say any NVH I have noticed is minimal.
Yeah I gotta admit mine too varies a bunch with road surface... On good roads, it is far less noticeable, but here in Montréal, we have shitty roads and concrete highways which are far more noisy...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #37
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

https://youtu.be/rWX5_V0oGgg

Some VERY mild highway driving at 90-100 km/h (55-60 mph)...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #38
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Are you referring to the humming harmonic sound around 4 seconds?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #39
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to the humming harmonic sound around 4 seconds?
Video isn't very good after listening to it again

I noticed the echo high piched sound gets more significant while braking.

I have my alignment friday, will report back after!

I'm looking at sound deadening options, hopefully that will bring back the sound pre-camber plates!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #40
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Here are mine

Ohlins R&T and Vorschlag Plates

Corner balanced

Car is street driven with 10 track events per year - hence the -2.0 front. Toe is minimized as much as possible F and R
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #41
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Can someone help? I don't know anything about alignments
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #42
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
I probably dialed in a little too much rear toe. But my preferred settings are front 0 toe, rear-more toe in than it calls for, just a tiny bit.

Camber for me as well as everyone is -1.5 up front unless you have plates. No pins to pull here.

I set the rear at -2.
So stock camber up front is 1.5? Shouldn't it change to something like 1.7 after being lowered?
Yes

Mine went to -1.8 upfront with MPerf coilovers and then -0.5 camber correction hub swivels got me to -2.25 upfront.

I run -1.5 rear camber and traction/grip is much better.
      03-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #43
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
I probably dialed in a little too much rear toe. But my preferred settings are front 0 toe, rear-more toe in than it calls for, just a tiny bit.

Camber for me as well as everyone is -1.5 up front unless you have plates. No pins to pull here.

I set the rear at -2.
So stock camber up front is 1.5? Shouldn't it change to something like 1.7 after being lowered?
Yes

Mine went to -1.8 upfront with MPerf coilovers and then -0.5 camber correction hub swivels got me to -2.25 upfront.

I run -1.5 rear camber and traction/grip is much better.
X2 on this. When I lowered it went to around 1.7ish. Then added plates and ran -2.6 front. I think -1.5-1.8 rear and -2.5-3 front is a sweet spot depending on tire stagger
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #44
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Just got my alignment done after adjusting ride height and adding spacers. They told me that they can't get any better on the rear toe without increasing camber? Seems like a lot of rear toe. I see gsrbri just above with same camber but much better toe. Shop being lazy or is what they're saying true? I'm running KW V3.

Appreciate 0