BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Autocross wheel/tire sizes tested?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
USANigel
Enlisted Member
USANigel's Avatar
15
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 Long Beach Blue
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Duxbury, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
2008 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Autocross wheel/tire sizes tested?

Iíve been placing well at Autocross this year in the M2 on stock size RE71Rs. For next year Iím considering moving to an 18Ē wheel and wider tires. (The lighter wheel is better as it has a lower unsprung mass). I have to stick with stock width to stay in street classification so that means 18x9 front and 18x10 rear.

My question is what is the max width tire anyone has put on these wheels without rubbing. I can adjust the offset somewhat and stay within the rules.

I used wheel-size.com to look up the numbers but iíd Love some confirmation from someone who has tested fit.

For the fronts it looks like I could get to 265/35 easily and maybe 275/30
Iím thinking 285/35 rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 12:08 AM   #2
ZPrime
I INDIC8
ZPrime's Avatar
United_States
557
Rep
1,295
Posts

Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
You might want to check out the dedicated track/autox subforum.
__________________
2004 Matrix XRS 6MT => 2008 VW R32 DSG => 2012 Audi TTRS 6MT => 2018 BMW ///M2 6MT
I'm an IT guy by trade and tech nerd by choice.
I like HPDEs, parts of US Hwy 129, NC 28, and the Cherohala Skyway.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
ashburyn54
Captain
ashburyn54's Avatar
599
Rep
810
Posts

Drives: f87 M2
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: dayton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USANigel View Post
Iíve been placing well at Autocross this year in the M2 on stock size RE71Rs. For next year Iím considering moving to an 18Ē wheel and wider tires. (The lighter wheel is better as it has a lower unsprung mass). I have to stick with stock width to stay in street classification so that means 18x9 front and 18x10 rear.

My question is what is the max width tire anyone has put on these wheels without rubbing. I can adjust the offset somewhat and stay within the rules.

I used wheel-size.com to look up the numbers but iíd Love some confirmation from someone who has tested fit.

For the fronts it looks like I could get to 265/35 easily and maybe 275/30
Iím thinking 285/35 rear.
Depends on offset and suspension. I run 285/35r19's on the rear, RE11's, that's about as chunky as you can go unless you run a smaller sidewall. 18's shouldn't be a problem
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
USANigel
Enlisted Member
USANigel's Avatar
15
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 Long Beach Blue
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Duxbury, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
2008 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Depends on offset and suspension. I run 285/35r19's on the rear, RE11's, that's about as chunky as you can go unless you run a smaller sidewall. 18's shouldn't be a problem
To remain in B-street class I canít do any suspension mods other than front sway bar. So Iím looking at the widest on the stock suspension. I can go down an inch on the wheels and adjust the offsets by up to +/- 7mm. Any tire size that fits the rim is allowable.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
USANigel
Enlisted Member
USANigel's Avatar
15
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 Long Beach Blue
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Duxbury, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
2008 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
You might want to check out the dedicated track/autox subforum.
Super helpful thanks. Somehow I missed that when I searched.
The B-street thread has useful insights, though inconclusive so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:33 AM   #6
Hasan Shaikh
Private First Class
19
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: E63 M6, E36 M3 EVO (Euro Spec)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UAE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USANigel View Post
To remain in B-street class I canít do any suspension mods other than front sway bar. So Iím looking at the widest on the stock suspension. I can go down an inch on the wheels and adjust the offsets by up to +/- 7mm. Any tire size that fits the rim is allowable.

Can you put adjustable camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
clubsport
First Lieutenant
190
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: LBB
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny West Coast

iTrader: (0)

I have those cheap Tire Rack wheels, square 18x9.5 (33??) I run 275/35/18. I do have camber but I think a member in Arizona runs 265's square and is stock.

FWIW
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
USANigel
Enlisted Member
USANigel's Avatar
15
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 Long Beach Blue
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Duxbury, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
2008 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
I have those cheap Tire Rack wheels, square 18x9.5 (33??) I run 275/35/18. I do have camber but I think a member in Arizona runs 265's square and is stock.

FWIW
Thanks, alas SCCA doesn’t allow a change in wheel width to be strict stock B Street. But I can see putting 265 on the front 9” and keeping 265 also on the 10” would yield a square setup. That said, I really feel the car needs more rubber on the rear to fully manage the bursts of power needed on technical courses. I’m thinking more like 285/35 x 18 on the 10” rears if I can find the right (I.e light enough and correct width) 18” rims somewhere. Also, how did you manage camber adjustment without camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
USANigel
Enlisted Member
USANigel's Avatar
15
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 Long Beach Blue
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Duxbury, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
2008 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
Can you put adjustable camber plates?
Not and stay in B-Street stock class - wish I could! I asked the dealer and they said there is zero camber adjustment on the front and only limited on the rear.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
ashburyn54
Captain
ashburyn54's Avatar
599
Rep
810
Posts

Drives: f87 M2
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: dayton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USANigel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
Can you put adjustable camber plates?
Not and stay in B-Street stock class - wish I could! I asked the dealer and they said there is zero camber adjustment on the front and only limited on the rear.
If your not allowed to have camber plates I wouldn't run an upgraded front bar if your not sure. My 265/285 setup tends to push a little bit unless I trailbrake hard. I put my front bar to soft after a few sessions and it helped. If I didn't have a rear bar with it, I'm thinking it would've been strange even with camber plates. I don't think I'm ruining enough camber though since I'm running staggered tires and sways. If I stay staggered I'm dropping down to a 275 on the rear, adding a little more rake and camber on the drivers side front.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
autocross, autox, solo, tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST