BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Seat straightening kit?

01-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #67
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
The whole notion that this is even an issue reflects poorly upon this community.
WTF? It doesn't reflect poorly on the community. It is an issue for some and there doesn't appear to be a simple fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsaville View Post
Seriously, is this what we are now? A bunch of old ladies worried about the seat rails being perfectly aligned with the frame?

Man... imagine showing all the crooked and barely tacked on stuff that goes into high-performance race cars or an old air-cooled Porsche (gasp!). The OCD weirdos on this forum would positively lose their shit!
How many race cars have you built and raced? (I've built and raced 8)
      04-01-2023, 05:13 PM   #68
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

just in case anyone cares. I think I might have found a potential solution to this.

Since the crooked seat angle applies to the driver side seat. I.e. In USA LHD driver seat is crooked, and in other parts of the world RHD driver seat is crooked, I am going to order the passenger side seat frame of a RHD vehicle to swap into my LHD driver seat. Per real oem, they are different part numbers which may solve for the crooked seat issue.

If that doesn't work, I also manage to find a junk set of driver side seat rails. I am going to try to widen/elongate the holes at the rail to give more degrees of freedom to angle the seat dead center. Then I'll clamp down the seats with larger washers.

stay tuned for pics!

Last edited by bmwstephen; 04-01-2023 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 03:58 PM   #69
BadgerDog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
just in case anyone cares. I think I might have found a potential solution to this.

Since the crooked seat angle applies to the driver side seat. I.e. In USA LHD driver seat is crooked, and in other parts of the world RHD driver seat is crooked, I am going to order the passenger side seat frame of a RHD vehicle to swap into my LHD driver seat. Per real oem, they are different part numbers which may solve for the crooked seat issue.

If that doesn't work, I also manage to find a junk set of driver side seat rails. I am going to try to widen/elongate the holes at the rail to give more degrees of freedom to angle the seat dead center. Then I'll clamp down the seats with larger washers.

stay tuned for pics!
I had never noticed the seat was a bit crooked until your post (DAMN YOU! lol). So while I dont feel the need to do anythign about it, Im genuinely curious what your tests turn up. Keep us posted! Even those who dont feel the need to "fix it" can still learn a thing or two about how the cars are built / subtle differences between versions and frankly thats kinda interesting to some of us.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #70
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

riddle me this

Quote:
%snip%
When the seat rails point "straight ahead" how will one move the steering wheel (and all of the components) to align with the seat?

If the seat rails are positioned outward and pointing straight ahead (so the steering wheel offset from the seat does not cause many to lose sleep), will the side air bags will be less effective? More dangerous? Both?

Disable the air bags?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 01:13 PM   #71
BadgerDog
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeese View Post
When the seat rails point "straight ahead" how will one move the steering wheel (and all of the components) to align with the seat?

If the seat rails are positioned outward and pointing straight ahead (so the steering wheel offset from the seat does not cause many to lose sleep), will the side air bags will be less effective? More dangerous? Both?

Disable the air bags?
I'm guessing the thought is to position then facing forward but in the same location, so steering wheel et all would be offset now. To me that would be far more obnoxious, but I guess to each their own?

Good points though.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #72
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
I'm guessing the thought is to position then facing forward but in the same location, so steering wheel et all would be offset now. To me that would be far more obnoxious, but I guess to each their own?

Good points though.
The idea is that the seat center would would be in line with the steering wheel center. Even if it ended up being offset steering that was a standard design feature for the e30, e36, e46 design as well (and even porsches) due to narrow cabin design. No issues with safety degradation on those vehicles. Given the passenger seat is already pointing straight there should not be any issues

What i am aiming for is symmetry of seat position between driver and passenger seat. This was the intention of the f87’s designers as evident that the mounting points for the seat are straight ahead and symmetrical. until side impact rules made it so that they had to tweak the driver seat frame/railing a bit rather than reengineer the whole chassis. Had they tweaked the passenger side as well to make it symmetrical with driver, my OCD would have been less obnoxious
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 02:51 PM   #73
BadgerDog
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
"until side impact rules made it so that they had to tweak the driver seat frame/railing a bit rather than reengineer the whole chassis. "

So that sentence is the one that acknowledges there are safety considerations to what you're doing. I mean it's your car so if you're ok with that by all means I'm not going to tell you not to. It's just what the poster above was getting at.

Airbags may be designed to work with a certain gap or whatever else, but if it was safety regs that forced the change then undoing it will have safety impacts.

Anyhow, I'm still curious to see how this goes!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:48 AM   #74
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
"until side impact rules made it so that they had to tweak the driver seat frame/railing a bit rather than reengineer the whole chassis. "

So that sentence is the one that acknowledges there are safety considerations to what you're doing. I mean it's your car so if you're ok with that by all means I'm not going to tell you not to. It's just what the poster above was getting at.

Airbags may be designed to work with a certain gap or whatever else, but if it was safety regs that forced the change then undoing it will have safety impacts.

Anyhow, I'm still curious to see how this goes!
if it wasn't obvious enough by simply joining this forum that ANY modification to the car further deviates from the safety engineered into it in the first place, I'll be sure to emphasize a disclaimer when I actually get started on the guide.
Appreciate 1
BadgerDog177.50
      04-06-2023, 12:56 AM   #75
BadgerDog
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
if it wasn't obvious enough by simply joining this forum that ANY modification to the car further deviates from the safety engineered into it in the first place, I'll be sure to emphasize a disclaimer when I actually get started on the guide.
Btw I'm not trying to rag on ya at all, just chatting cause it's interesting. Hope it didn't come across the wrong way. Cheers bud.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 12:20 PM   #76
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

stay tuned for pics!
Welp- I am defeated. After $500 in scrap parts and a weekend, there is just no way to tweak the frame or rails to make the seat straight. I bit the bullet but it was a good learning lesson for me.

For starters, the seat rails just does not have enough lateral material to widen the holes where the mounting bolts slide through. Otherwise, this method would give more degrees of freedom.

The RHD (passenger electric seat frame) is identical to the LHD driver seat frame (despite slightly differ part numbers)

LHD Electric Seat Frame P/N:
52107285859 (driver)
52107285862 (Co-driver/Passenger)

RHD Electric Seat Frame P/Ns:
52107285860 (Driver)
52107285861 (Co-Driver/Passenger)

it is really the mounting points on the floor pan that makes the seat tweaked. The only way I see this being fixed is if the carpet is removed, break and reweld the seat mounting braces (1, 2, 3, and 4) here:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2159

In other words, not worth messing up to get it straight. just have to live with it.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      04-10-2023, 10:01 PM   #77
BadgerDog
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Welp- I am defeated. After $500 in scrap parts and a weekend, there is just no way to tweak the frame or rails to make the seat straight. I bit the bullet but it was a good learning lesson for me.

For starters, the seat rails just does not have enough lateral material to widen the holes where the mounting bolts slide through. Otherwise, this method would give more degrees of freedom.

The RHD (passenger electric seat frame) is identical to the LHD driver seat frame (despite slightly differ part numbers)

LHD Electric Seat Frame P/N:
52107285859 (driver)
52107285862 (Co-driver/Passenger)

RHD Electric Seat Frame P/Ns:
52107285860 (Driver)
52107285861 (Co-Driver/Passenger)

it is really the mounting points on the floor pan that makes the seat tweaked. The only way I see this being fixed is if the carpet is removed, break and reweld the seat mounting braces (1, 2, 3, and 4) here:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2159

In other words, not worth messing up to get it straight. just have to live with it.
Well good information for us all to have anyway in case anyone ever wanted to try it. Thanks for reporting back.
Appreciate 0