BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Cell Count on Cats in OEM DP?

12-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Cell Count on Cats in OEM DP?

Been trying to look for the info, including searching M3/M4 forums, however haven't seen anything official, just speculation. But does anyone know the cell count on stock DP cats on the M2C? Not sure as well if there's a difference in cell count when it comes to US vs. EU cats (someone had mentioned this might be the case on M3/M4 forums due to the difference in emission standards). Lastly, is it worth it going from stock DPs to high flow DPs (for the individuals that don't want to go catless)? M3/M4 forums mentioned that OEM cats flows pretty well already, so debating whether it's worth it for the money to switch from OEM to aftermarket high flow cats.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
Been trying to look for the info, including searching M3/M4 forums, however haven't seen anything official, just speculation. But does anyone know the cell count on stock DP cats on the M2C? Not sure as well if there's a difference in cell count when it comes to US vs. EU cats (someone had mentioned this might be the case on M3/M4 forums due to the difference in emission standards). Lastly, is it worth it going from stock DPs to high flow DPs (for the individuals that don't want to go catless)? M3/M4 forums mentioned that OEM cats flows pretty well already, so debating whether it's worth it for the money to switch from OEM to aftermarket high flow cats.

I dont have any official info on the CEL count for stock cats.

If you are tuning your car, upgrading the downpipe is worth it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
EU spec DP has 400 cell cats i assume
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
S55bruh
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

I was considering these: https://www.lightweight-titanauspuff...mpetition.html

Pretty expensive though.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
The N55 M2 only has one primary cat and it is 600 cell. With US-spec M2C's I believe they have two 400 cell primaries and two 200 cell secondaries. This may be wrong, however, so don't quote me on that.

In the EU it gets more complicated as they have OPFs instead of secondaries. I'm not sure how the OPFs affect total cell count but I would assume they raise it.

If you have a car without OPF I absolutely think HFC's would be worthwhile as you get less lag and more sound, usually without a CEL, smoke, or smells. The only downside is the price.

If you have an OPF car however, I would advise you to do some research before pulling the trigger as there may be adverse effects such as a CEL and/or damage to the OPF.

I think a good person to ask about this would be @MR.

He made a great post explaining M2C exhausts and OPF's: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post25263099
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
andrewoc92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
I personally have AR Downpipes high flow catted in my m2c and love them. No check engine light and definitely brings a nice tone to it. Not to loud but just right
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:55 AM   #7
Fahidm2comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoc92 View Post
I personally have AR Downpipes high flow catted in my m2c and love them. No check engine light and definitely brings a nice tone to it. Not to loud but just right
How was the fitment? Was looking to pull the trigger on the resonated version for when I go to stage 2...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:21 AM   #8
andrewoc92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahidm2comp View Post
Quote:
How was the fitment? Was looking to pull the trigger on the resonated version for when I go to stage 2...
Fitment was perfect, not a single issue
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Did you have it tuned after the HFC install?

Impressions of before vs after?

I'm looking to run a set of these as well....
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #10
andrewoc92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

So I am still bone stock when it comes to tuning, the hfc definitely made the car more audible, not as much as catless but definitely a nice tone for what it is. I have been running these for about a month with no issues. I daily drive the car. If anybody is interested in a video clip shoot me a pm and I'll send my number over. But keep in mind, video quality usually does not do the justice
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #11
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
So I am still bone stock when it comes to tuning, the hfc definitely made the car more audible, not as much as catless but definitely a nice tone for what it is. I have been running these for about a month with no issues. I daily drive the car. If anybody is interested in a video clip shoot me a pm and I'll send my number over. But keep in mind, video quality usually does not do the justice
THX...How about power? Can you feel measurable TQ?
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #12
andrewoc92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
THX...How about power? Can you feel measurable TQ?
You can definitely feel the exhaust breathe better. But as far as hp gains, nothing out of the ordinary or noticeable. Once tuned I am sure you'll feel something but this is a nice thing to have if you're not tuning just to make it slightly louder
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 05:14 AM   #13
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
You can definitely feel the exhaust breathe better. But as far as hp gains, nothing out of the ordinary or noticeable. Once tuned I am sure you'll feel something but this is a nice thing to have if you're not tuning just to make it slightly louder
Are you stock mid and axelback?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 05:17 AM   #14
andrewoc92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you stock mid and axelback?
Yes
Appreciate 0