BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > is extended maintenance worth it?

12-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
dannysixpack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 1997 Spec Miata R

is extended maintenance worth it?

My '17 M2 6 speed manual is now out of maintenance. the dealer is trying to sell me 2 years worth for 3,100$

this is my unmodified street car. I drive about 8k per year.

by my best guestimate this is two servicings over the next two years. it would amount to:

2 oil changes
2 cabin filters
maybe 1 diff oil change (maybe not)
1 brake flud change
1 set of spark plugs.

maybe a set of brake pads and rotors.

by my calculations even at the dealer this should not cost 3,100 bux.

is my logic sound? am i missing something or just outrageous profits for the BMW dealership?

thanks

dan
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
ND4SPD_M2
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 (6MT)

I am in the same boat here and have been thinking along the same cost/benefit analysis recently.

One additional benefit with ext warranty is if you plan to sell the car over the next 2 yrs, then it may add additional credibility. If you are not planning on selling the car, with your mileage, it may not be worth it IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysixpack View Post
My '17 M2 6 speed manual is now out of maintenance. the dealer is trying to sell me 2 years worth for 3,100$

this is my unmodified street car. I drive about 8k per year.

by my best guestimate this is two servicings over the next two years. it would amount to:

2 oil changes
2 cabin filters
maybe 1 diff oil change (maybe not)
1 brake flud change
1 set of spark plugs.

maybe a set of brake pads and rotors.

by my calculations even at the dealer this should not cost 3,100 bux.

is my logic sound? am i missing something or just outrageous profits for the BMW dealership?

thanks

dan
I'd pose this exact question to the dealer and ask them how to justify the expense. They should be able to show how it is cheaper/better to spend $3100 now versus doing the services as they arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
IMO it's not going to be worth it to you with the mileage you drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
dannysixpack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 1997 Spec Miata R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I'd pose this exact question to the dealer and ask them how to justify the expense. They should be able to show how it is cheaper/better to spend $3100 now versus doing the services as they arise.
I did exactly that. He just said it would be stupid not to, couldn’t give me what services they would do, what they would cost and ended with saying the car is going to be a collectors item.

Word salads aren’t worth 3100.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
mrdstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 12 X5d

Garage List
The question really is are you happy and comfortable to do the work yourself or not. If you prefer dropping the car off, getting a loaner/shuttle, and having documented records with guarantees for parts and labor, then maybe, and you can sometime negotiate these plans and bring them more into your favor.
I always decline these as what they cover is very easy to DIY and I enjoy wrenching on these beasts myself, to a point.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdstr View Post
The question really is are you happy and comfortable to do the work yourself or not. If you prefer dropping the car off, getting a loaner/shuttle, and having documented records with guarantees for parts and labor, then maybe, and you can sometime negotiate these plans and bring them more into your favor.
I always decline these as what they cover is very easy to DIY and I enjoy wrenching on these beasts myself, to a point.
I don't think that's really the question, because without the extended warranty he can still pay the dealer or another shop to do the maintenance, have documented records with guarantees, and (I think) still get a loaner car. Not 100% sure but I think dealerships offer loaners to any BMW getting work done, even if outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0