BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > 1st Track Days - A Rookie's Impressions

05-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
GVN*2FLY
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘16 GT4|‘22 X3MC

1st Track Days - A Rookie's Impressions

I am completely new to tracking a car, and chose to do so in my AW '16 M2. I raced motocross many years ago and have taken a couple of road racing classes, but this was my first time in an M car on a "big boy" track.

I did The Driver's Edge 2 day HPDE class at MSR Houston and was a total blast. I got in 7 sessions and posted a best time of 1:54 on the 17 turn, 2.38 mile track. I observed the Instructor group (professionals, by definition) from the start/finish line and hand-clocked a best time of about 1:43 in that group, so felt good about being only 10 seconds slower than a heavily modified 911 GT3RS in slicks and an E36 M3 chassis with a Corvette LS3 engine and slicks.

I had my 100% stock M2 in Sport+, only deselecting the front collision nanny. The traction control definitely saved me from the back end slipping out a few times, but became minimal on Day 2. I took the car 100% stock at the suggestion of a local shop with the intent to get to know the car before I started to even think about any mods.

Overall, I am thrilled with the car. Felt really good to pass up 911s, vettes and a couple of M3s all weekend. Took me a couple of sessions to really find the limits of the handling/tires and braking power, but eventually got there on Day 2. It was very warm ambient temp of about 90 and very high humidity. As a rookie, I couldn't tell if there was brake fade, but the tires (30 psi cold) heated up to 36-38 psi hot at ~165 degrees front/~135 rear at the end of sessions definitely got slicker towards the end of the sessions. I didn't get into limp mode or have any issues with the car whatsoever.

My intuition says to get a set of square Apex EC-7s/FL-5s with 265/35/18 re71s, stainless brake lines, brake fluid and racing pads. Given the 10 second gap between the fastest on the track and my best time, I can't see a good reason right now to do anything else, really. I'm sure that will change in time.

Bonus pic: An LBB '16 M2 running in an advanced group. Turns out the owner works 2 blocks away from my office. Says there are 2 other M2s in his building's parking garage as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      05-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Looks like fun, can't wait to track mine once summer cools down. Thinking about a square setup as well for the next season.
Appreciate 0