BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Dealer oil change used SAE 0w-20?

05-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
tokic_o
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F36 430i / E92 M3

Dealer oil change used SAE 0w-20?

Just got the car back from the dealer and it looks like they used 0w-20 BMW oil for the oil change. I asked (since the sticker under the hood says 0w-30) and the SA mentioned its something new BMW transitioned to 0w-20? Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Newer stuff like the B58 runs 0W-20, N55 was never 0W-20, I would have it switched. They have 0W-30, I would guess they put the wrong fluid in. Don't let the SA give you the run around, typically they seem to know less about the individual models than a forum going owner.
Appreciate 1
tokic_o32.50
      05-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokic_o View Post
Just got the car back from the dealer and it looks like they used 0w-20 BMW oil for the oil change. I asked (since the sticker under the hood says 0w-30) and the SA mentioned its something new BMW transitioned to 0w-20? Is that true?
Yup wrong oil weight, get it switched before it damages your engine.
      05-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #4
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

It very likely won't cause any damage if you aren't tracking it. Could even be better for short trips around town. Just get it changed when you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It very likely won't cause any damage if you aren't tracking it. Could even be better for short trips around town. Just get it changed when you can.
For a hot running engine like the N55 or S55 dropping oil weights is likely not a good idea. Especially if they are using their FE blend of 0w20 which would make the HTHS rating plumment drastically. Cold starts would be fine, but high operating loads like WOT idk...

The whole reason bmw is moving to thinner oils and making FE oils is for emissions.
tokic_o32.50
      05-12-2021, 03:24 AM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
For a hot running engine like the N55 or S55 dropping oil weights is likely not a good idea. Especially if they are using their FE blend of 0w20 which would make the HTHS rating plumment drastically. Cold starts would be fine, but high operating loads like WOT idk...

The whole reason bmw is moving to thinner oils and making FE oils is for emissions.
I mostly agree, but I don't think oil temps will reach the point where even a good 0w-20 is inadequate unless you're really pushing the car. I would definitely get it changed, but it's not gonna blow up in a week of daily driving or anything.
Appreciate 1
tokic_o32.50
      05-12-2021, 06:40 AM   #7
tokic_o
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the responses everyone. Booked an appointment with them to replace the oil with the recommended 0w-30 next Monday....with the whole lockdown still going on in Toronto they seem to be awfully fully booked these days.

I haven't/don't plan to drive it hard until then so I feel better it'll be OK for a week or two of gentle use still.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I mostly agree, but I don't think oil temps will reach the point where even a good 0w-20 is inadequate unless you're really pushing the car. I would definitely get it changed, but it's not gonna blow up in a week of daily driving or anything.
Blow up probably not, excessive wear possibly if driven hard.
      05-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #9
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Booked an appointment with them to replace the oil with the recommended 0w-30 next Monday....with the whole lockdown still going on in Toronto they seem to be awfully fully booked these days.

I haven't/don't plan to drive it hard until then so I feel better it'll be OK for a week or two of gentle use still.
Ask them to use LL01, not LL01FE (0W30).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Ask them to use LL01, not LL01FE (0W30).
Do dealers even have that? I never found a non FE 0w30 oil at a dealer before, I don't even know if there is p/n for that.

There is 5W30 that is LL01 only though, so probably better to go with that if you can get them to agree: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...synthetic-oil/

I know since the m2 has an underhood sticker that says 0w30 only, it might be hard to get an SA to agree.
      05-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #11
tokic_o
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I called and asked the SA if I could request 5w30 instead of 0w30 but my SA said they have to follow what is stated on the sticker under the hood (0w30) so thats a no go...

ironic because they put 0w20 in my car during the oil change which isn't whats on the sticker also...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #12
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
I called and asked the SA if I could request 5w30 instead of 0w30 but my SA said they have to follow what is stated on the sticker under the hood (0w30) so thats a no go...

ironic because they put 0w20 in my car during the oil change which isn't whats on the sticker also...
Well one good thing is that you'll get a free oil flush with thin oil. It will be squeaky clean in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:

BMW seriously confused this.
In B58 now it says pretty much all grades are allowed, but stick to LL17FE, but if not LL01 (which your manual also says you can use).
On top of that, BMW is now introducing LL19FE that has HTHS above 3.5 (basically improved LL04) bcs. they figured these thin oils are long-term issue.
IMO, I would change it on my own.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #14
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do dealers even have that? I never found a non FE 0w30 oil at a dealer before, I don't even know if there is p/n for that.

There is 5W30 that is LL01 only though, so probably better to go with that if you can get them to agree: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...synthetic-oil/

I know since the m2 has an underhood sticker that says 0w30 only, it might be hard to get an SA to agree.
Yes, dealers here still have it.
BUT, BMW moved to Castrol again. How good will be Castrol product compared to SOPUS, we will see. SOPUS 5W30 LL01 was exceptional oil! If Castrol is just repacking their 5W30 that is LL01 approved, it is mediocre.
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      05-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, dealers here still have it.
BUT, BMW moved to Castrol again. How good will be Castrol product compared to SOPUS, we will see. SOPUS 5W30 LL01 was exceptional oil! If Castrol is just repacking their 5W30 that is LL01 approved, it is mediocre.
I see!

But the problem is now getting the dealer to do it. On the m2 owners manual it says consult the service center nothing about what oil weights are acceptable. Then the dealer always says do what the sticker says... So pretty much no choice, the people working st the dealer aren't enthusiasts they dont care.
      05-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #16
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
I see!

But the problem is now getting the dealer to do it. On the m2 owners manual it says consult the service center nothing about what oil weights are acceptable. Then the dealer always says do what the sticker says... So pretty much no choice, the people working st the dealer aren't enthusiasts they dont care.
Oh yeah. if the car is out of warranty, people should go LL01 and preferably W40 weight.
In Canada things are a bit different. Here we have Magnusson-Moss Act and dealers and vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to corner customers on stuff like this. Basically, from the moment you take ownership of a car, you could do oil change in the parking lot with LL01, and they cannot do anything about that.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah. if the car is out of warranty, people should go LL01 and preferably W40 weight.
In Canada things are a bit different. Here we have Magnusson-Moss Act and dealers and vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to corner customers on stuff like this. Basically, from the moment you take ownership of a car, you could do oil change in the parking lot with LL01, and they cannot do anything about that.
I believe we have the consumer protection act, but you still have to fight the incompetent dealer ships to get what you want.

They don't care about you doing the oil change but it's got to be documented and with the bmw stuff, unless you want a huge hassle getting warranty.

Yup once it's out of warranty get that ll01 oil and do it yourself.
      05-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #18
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
I see!

As long as you keep records and receipts of doing the oil change yourself and LL01 is still an approved oil rating for the motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:54 AM   #19
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I see!

As long as you keep records and receipts of doing the oil change yourself and LL01 is still an approved oil rating for the motor.
IMO yes, but wording about LL01 is sketchy. Mercedes is much better on this. They give three options to use, specifications, not grades, and basically say: MB229.5: protection.
MB229.71: fuel economy.
BMW purposely made this very confusing.
There is no engine that cannot use thicker oils. Otherwise, they would always prematurely wear out bcs. cold starts and city driving. LL01 is still used in B generation engines and BMW latest specification, LL19FE is actually HTHS above 3.5 which means heavy W30 and light W40 oils, basically improved LL04.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

BMW seriously confused this.
In B58 now it says pretty much all grades are allowed, but stick to LL17FE, but if not LL01 (which your manual also says you can use).
On top of that, BMW is now introducing LL19FE that has HTHS above 3.5 (basically improved LL04) bcs. they figured these thin oils are long-term issue.
IMO, I would change it on my own.
I wonder if they put 0w-20 in the s58?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:31 AM   #21
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see!

IMO yes, but wording about LL01 is sketchy. Mercedes is much better on this. They give three options to use, specifications, not grades, and basically say: MB229.5: protection.
There is no engine that cannot use thicker oils. Otherwise, they would always prematurely wear out bcs. cold starts and city driving. LL01 is still used in B generation engines and BMW latest specification, LL19FE is actually HTHS above 3.5 which means heavy W30 and light W40 oils, basically improved LL04.
There's a table in the service manual that lists every bmw engine approved oil by spec. I.e ll01, ll01 fe, ll04, etc….nothing in there about oil weight.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #22
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see!

There's a table in the service manual that lists every bmw engine approved oil by spec. I.e ll01, ll01 fe, ll04, etc….nothing in there about oil weight.
I think vehicles with B58 come with grades too. BMW is so inconsistent with this that soon they might be worse than VW which has one oil recommendation in manual, another under the hood and dealerships use third.
Appreciate 0