BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

04-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #683
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Also, remember its not necessary to remove rear weather stripping in order to remove the plastic panel at the rear of the trunk. Many have found getting that weather stripping back in place when the job is done problematic.
Sure, NOW I read this, after already pulling it half off. There's definitely an adhesive that is causing difficulties but some soapy water and gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet seems to have it back in place

I also found that you do NOT have to fully remove the trunk liner. I was able to swing it out of the way enough to install the adapter without having to pull it out from behind the rear seat trim piece.

Last edited by CTSean; 04-03-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #684
m2for2
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Exhaust much quieter after coding out ASD

I used bimmercode to turn off ASD yesterday, and I was very surprised by the drastic difference in noise levels. Unless I have the windows down, I feel like I can barely hear the exhaust note (in comfort mode at least, Sport and Sport+ help with this.)

I don't want to change the muffler, but I was considering a downpipe to help bring back some of the exhaust note I feel like I lost when coding out ASD. Are there any other mods anyone suggests that would help make either the exhaust sound better/louder, or allow me to hear the turbo noises more (love hearing the woooosh and spool)? Again, don't want to touch the muffler or tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #685
m2for2
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
So I have a fabspeed catted down pipe and a muffler delete, at certain rpm ranges I hear a slight drone. Deleting ASD could possibly eliminate this?
Did you ever end up deleting ASD while the downpipe was installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #686
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Maybe I'm wired differently but I'm trying to follow some of you guys' logic here; you disabled the ASD because it's fake and drone-y but you instead pipe up the external sound to a 10 with a loud-ass exhaust and downpipe, so you can annoy everyone else around you with your "real" exhaust noise and drone?

If it's attention you guys are honestly craving, just keep it real. No point in bashing the ASD because it doesn't draw attention. Subtlety is the intention of the technology, it's not a flaw.

The exhaust sound in modern turbo-charged BMWs are artificial anyways, so the M2 doesn't naturally produce some sort of glorious sonorous sound, like the charge of air rushing to intake pendulum of a NA V12 Lamborghini, who's engine tune to sound like a guitar; BMW instead a tuned a bunch of "puck, puck, puck - vroom, vroom" artificial overrun to give off the appearance of said latter vehicle.

Maybe I'm getting old i.e. mature but I prefer to keep the ASD on and not irritate the public with the equivalent of grown-men farts and burps, otherwise known a "performance exhaust."

Trust me, as much you guys believe a loud exhaust makes you look like a rockstar, it genuinely doesn't and instead just makes any adult come off as a douche. Most people are not confrontational and just won't tell your otherwise
Appreciate 3
      04-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #687
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2for2 View Post
I used bimmercode to turn off ASD yesterday, and I was very surprised by the drastic difference in noise levels. Unless I have the windows down, I feel like I can barely hear the exhaust note (in comfort mode at least, Sport and Sport+ help with this.)

I don't want to change the muffler, but I was considering a downpipe to help bring back some of the exhaust note I feel like I lost when coding out ASD. Are there any other mods anyone suggests that would help make either the exhaust sound better/louder, or allow me to hear the turbo noises more (love hearing the woooosh and spool)? Again, don't want to touch the muffler or tips.
DP 👍🏻
      04-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #688
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I don't think ASD does anything for authentic "woooosh and spool." That's your intake. But for exhaust sounds, a dp should take care of you, at least at first. I am not a big fan of ASD, myself, but I like real exhaust sound. A dp was just what the doctor ordered for me after I coded out ASD. But some do it in stages, and there are plenty of stages after a dp if that isn't enough for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 02:43 AM   #689
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Another vote for DP.
I bought my M2 slightly used, and believe ASD was coded out or otherwise disabled by the original owner.
After putting in DP w/Sport Cat, the exhaust note got a nice growl and acceleration noise is downright addicting.
Still have stock exhaust, and get compliments on the sound of the car from strangers from time to time.
It's amazing how much the stock DP muffles ehaust note.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #690
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1355352
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #691
NYC Bimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Maybe I'm getting old
Ding ding ding!
Appreciate 3
AndrewC198910910.50
QM287.00
      04-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #692
BruceM
Major
Rep

Nonsense. ASD is bs because it doesn't tell you what the engine is really doing, it drones like a MF and is fake in a way that overrun is not. Stock exhaust with a downpipe and without ASD is the sweet spot, IMO. Not too boy racer, not too artificial.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #693
garfunko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Nonsense. ASD is bs because it doesn't tell you what the engine is really doing, it drones like a MF and is fake in a way that overrun is not. Stock exhaust with a downpipe and without ASD is the sweet spot, IMO. Not too boy racer, not too artificial.
any difference if you use bimmercode or bypass harness the remove asd?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #694
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm2nyc View Post
Quote:
Maybe I'm getting old
Ding ding ding!
By your comment, I could tell you're obviously getting mentally younger.

Enjoy your loud ass fart can and don't take offense, Benjamin Buttons.

I'm sure that everyone that you annoy who tells you how "sick" it sounds genuinely means it...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #695
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I have the M Performance exhaust. This solves your problem.

I would check your local laws because in Washington a down pipe is illegal.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #696
Poochie
United_States
Rep

ASD is the future, so get use to it.

I love a great sounding exhaust as much as the next guy but I also don't like my vehicle to stand out for various reasons. ASD seems to bridge that gap, without much compromise.

I did a blind test with like 5 different passengers in my vehicles and none could of tell that ASD was an artificial exhaust sound pumped into in cabin, until I specifically pointed out the difference to them. That's good enough proof that I'm not being unreasonable to assume that the technology has it merits, in spite of it being fake.

However, if it's attention you desire, ASD is just self-deception; just throw on that catless strait pipe.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #697
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

I felt like I was underwater in sport before I installed the bypass harness. Never going back.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #698
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfunko View Post
any difference if you use bimmercode or bypass harness the remove asd?
My vague memory is that there was a bit of a difference with 2016 MY M2s, in that there could be a little hiss in the center speaker still if you coded ASD out, compared to a harness. But that difference disappeared with the 2017s. At least I don't hear it with my ASD coded out...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:15 AM   #699
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

I love a great sounding exhaust as much as the next guy but I also don't like my vehicle to stand out for various reasons. ASD seems to bridge that gap, without much compromise.

I did a blind test with like 5 different passengers in my vehicles and none could of tell that ASD was an artificial exhaust sound pumped into in cabin, until I specifically pointed out the difference to them. That's good enough proof that I'm not being unreasonable to assume that the technology has it merits, in spite of it being fake.

However, if it's attention you desire, ASD is just self-deception; just throw on that catless strait pipe.

Well auto trans or whatever electric cars have is the future, get used to it. That doesn't seem to stop people from complaining or trying to do things the old way though.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #700
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

Quote:

I'm sure that everyone that you annoy who tells you how "sick" it sounds genuinely means it...
Then how do you feel about the Lambo, McLaren, etc. owners who put exhausts on their cars? Do you feel the same way, that they're immature doing it for attention?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #701
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud exhausts either. Louder doesn't necessarily mean better a lot of the time. I'm also not a fan of the artificial exhaust crap that BMW pipes into the cabin. The ASD harness that I installed was a great improvement in the driving experience as far as I'm concerned. That all being said I can't see the harm in a sport cat with a stock exhaust which is what I'll be doing. I suppose that makes me middle aged?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #702
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessetaylor1 View Post
Quote:

Then how do you feel about the Lambo, McLaren, etc. owners who put exhausts on their cars? Do you feel the same way, that they're immature doing it for attention?
Of course not, they are limited production, high performance sports cars. For the most part, the noises it emits is the natural sound of the engine at work, which is unavoidable and not just added for vanity.

Also, these vehicle are driven by people who don't really daily them but pull them out on the weekend roll it around the block. The US government knows this because they exempt noise ordinance on low production vehicles as these.

And for the record, one of my far off uncles has a Ferrari 430 and I rented a Gallardo in Miami; in stock form, they're not obnoxiously loud unless you're really at WOT.

On the other hand, at the car meets where I see these grown ass dudes, looking like King Cooper in a small daily 335is, M2 and M4, whose exhaust sounds like someone took a drill and pierce holds in the muffler, I just shake my head. Why would you go out of your way to annoy fellow motorist with your "cool" exhaust fart noise, just to draw attention to yourself hoping to satisfy your hollow ego. :

To each is own but we're living in a society and I try not to irritate my fellow humans with unnecessary noises, unless they deserve it. But like I said, I'm not on a crusade against exhaust sound, as I could still appreciate the natural sound of machine at work. Just was pointing out, for better or worst, that ASD accomplishes this aural satisfaction without being obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #703
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Anyone here with tinnitus? I'm wondering what kind of effect the ASD has on those with tinnitus, either good (creating a positive white-noise-like masking effect) or bad (adding to the tinnitus sounds).
Right here! It's minor but concerts and clubs when I was younger did the damage.

I don't feel that one has an affect on the other. There's a decent amount of road noise that easily overpowers the tinnitus ringing. It's not a completely silent cabin but better than my Golf R was.

As far as fake engine noise goes, this ASD does sound pretty good. That said, the sounds the N55 make are better and don't need the artificial assistance. I drove a MPE equipped M2 when I was looking for a car and really liked its sound. So, ASD will be coded off shortly.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #704
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Well auto trans or whatever electric cars have is the future, get used to it. That doesn't seem to stop people from complaining or trying to do things the old way though.
I'm beginning to embrace the idea of self-driving, electric vehicles. Living in congested NYC, you could barely get to drive 20ft without having to stop or slamming into a pothole. I could see the advantage of autonomous vehicles. It's like having a driver without a 401k plan.
Appreciate 0