BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > White M2 with M Performance parts (still camo though)

11-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #45
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
All these cars get crushed at the end of their testing life - so its a moot point.
Definitely not all of them. A lot of them are actually sold to the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Yes it's YOU being ridiculous.

Go and sit in the corner until you can explain M TECHNIK and EVO parts and GRUPPE N parts from the 80s and 90s and how this differs from today.
M Technic was not available on M cars.(edit. Actually, the only exception would be the E28 M5 where in some markets it was available with the M Technic aero kit). M Technic is what is now known as M Sport.
EVO? Well, those are replacement parts. There was no "EVO parts catalog".
GRUPPE N were homologation racing parts. They were non-street legal and got nothing to do with the M Performance parts which are considered accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Even the E30 M3 had " performance parts " available for it.
For example?

Last edited by SickFinga; 11-13-2015 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #46
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post

They cannot be sold. Preproduction cars often have missing parts that are required for street-legal vehicles. Cars are sometimes donated, with the manufacturer retaining authority over the vehicle. They can crush the cars whenever they want, even after donating them. But they cannot sell these cars to customers. The cars cannot be sold by anyone to anyone.
      11-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #47
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post

They cannot be sold. Preproduction cars often have missing parts that are required for street-legal vehicles. Cars are sometimes donated, with the manufacturer retaining authority over the vehicle. They can crush the cars whenever they want, even after donating them. But they cannot sell these cars to customers. The cars cannot be sold by anyone to anyone.
I know tons of pre-production BMWs that are on the road. Some of them are one-offs, like 330Ci ZHP with an SMG or an E36 M3 Sedan Automatic for the Canadian market or F30 320i xDrive with a manual transmission.

Last edited by SickFinga; 11-13-2015 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #48
TJS///M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 in Imola

So no one told them the cold war is officially over? It's OK to take the camo off the cars now?

Have to admit white doesn't look too bad.
2005 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Interlagos/Cinnamon - Sold
1990 E30 M3 Brilliant Red with Natural - Sold What was I thinking?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #49
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

Yes!!!!! I am sold on AW.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #50
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
The "zero" production cars(prototypes) and the early production cars(series one & two)are used to "tune" the assembly process at the factory. All(or most) end up getting crushed. I am sure some do escape this fate, but most do not.

Dack
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #51
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The "zero" production cars(prototypes) and the early production cars(series one & two)are used to "tune" the assembly process at the factory. All(or most) end up getting crushed. I am sure some do escape this fate, but most do not.

Dack
A lot of them actually end up on the road. It is actually pretty easy to check on US/Canadian cars. You can run their VINs on autocheck and see that they are still on the road.

Here are some of the examples.

E24 M6 mule. This is not even a pre-production car. It is a test mule built on top of the 635CSi.

E30 M3 with a 1987 model year VIN and euro VIN plate

E36 M3 Sedan automatic Canadian spec This is the only automatic E36 M3 built to the Canadian spec. Meaning 3 spoke steering wheel and adjustable steering column which were never available on the US-spec cars.

Pre-production E39 M5 with options that were never available in the US.

Pre-production facelift E39 M5

Pre-production E46 M3 with wood trim that was never available in the US.

These are just a few cars that I can link to. I know of many more that are out there. Yes, a lot of them get crashed, but a lot of them end up on the road. I guess BMW determines which ones are sold which ones are crashed on case by case basis.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #52
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief
That's what I'm talkin about!
Give me another AW ///M
You and everybody else because it is the most ordered color of all.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #53
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Haha, I have had 5 AW Bmws over the years :P #Persianlife
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 02:23 AM   #54
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro
Quote:
Haha, I have had 5 AW Bmws over the years :P #Persianlife
Classic Body in White.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #55
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Performance parts on this car will be a must IMO, the stock diffuser looks a bit cheap and the trunk absolutly need a bigger spoiler to look right. The front bumper adds on should look pretty cool to. Hopefully they wont charge an arm and a leg for these parts. At least BMW went with regular stainless steel for the exhaust to keep the cost down, that's a good sign.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #56
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
A lot of them actually end up on the road. It is actually pretty easy to check on US/Canadian cars. You can run their VINs on autocheck and see that they are still on the road.

E24 M6 mule. This is not even a pre-production car. It is a test mule built on top of the 635CSi.

E36 M3 Sedan automatic Canadian spec This is the only automatic E36 M3 built to the Canadian spec. Meaning 3 spoke steering wheel and adjustable steering column which were never available on the US-spec cars.

These are just a few cars that I can link to. I know of many more that are out there. Yes, a lot of them get crashed, but a lot of them end up on the road. I guess BMW determines which ones are sold which ones are crashed on case by case basis.
Oh snap!
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #57
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpossible
Performance parts on this car will be a must IMO, the stock diffuser looks a bit cheap and the trunk absolutly need a bigger spoiler to look right. The front bumper adds on should look pretty cool to. Hopefully they wont charge an arm and a leg for these parts. At least BMW went with regular stainless steel for the exhaust to keep the cost down, that's a good sign.
Because the 2er trunk is very plain compared to the 1 Series Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #58
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Even one was delivered at the BMW Welt... bc I saw it with my own eyes! And MCS said that's not an option either!!
Welt delivery has always been an option, you just have to pay extra for it. Buddy had his E90 M3 delivered there.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #59
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Welt delivery has always been an option, you just have to pay extra for it. Buddy had his E90 M3 delivered there.
I did not think Welt delivery was an option for Military Car Sales. ?

Turns out I met the BSM 1M owner in Stuttgart a year or so later at the MotorWorld(MeilenWerk) in Stuttgart for an Euro 1Addicts event... he was SGM retiring from the US Army. He told me they first turned him down for Welt delivery but he later found someone who "approved" his delivery in the Welt. Yeah... I think it was another $1K(?) for the Welt delivery. He also dd not take "no" as an answer when trying to find a 1M to order thru MCS. Like I said I think only eight or so lucky military members were able to get a 1M ordered and delivered thru MSC program.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #60
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

I have been once offered an E91 LCI that was produced six months before they oficially started making them; it was an official BMW dealership. I did not see the pics nor know the VIN code, but according to the option list it was an LCI car that was used by a BMW AG manager. Weird.

The cars can have some gremlins and problems because they're pre-production examples, can't they?

Last edited by swagon; 11-14-2015 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #61
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
The point is that they sell them at a huge price over the price of an M-car which is already high...
The point is to you start with an M car. And then there are people that want to go more extreme..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Even Ferrari and Porsche offer sports exhausts and additional bits on their cars. That's where all the profit is.
Exactly.. Porsche offers XC spring kits springs... performance exhaust.. shocks.. . whale tales... . etc..

Quote:
I guess that it is stupid to want some value. Maybe not all owner want them but even then parts should be available at either a no cost option or very cheap. You already pay a premium to get the m-car. So I guess your way of throwing your money at the window is more Clever.

this isn't about VALUE. and that's your problem here.

Does EVERY owner want stripe kits, suede steering wheel and shift knob... track tuned double adjustable coil overs.... a BIG HONKIN REAR WING... a LOUD EXHAUST with DM razor sharp or carbon fire tips.... or a multi-way adjustable lip spoiler that will be sure to get scraped up on every subdivision lip or parking block out there..... No... these are for the person who wants to customize their car... whether it be for looks or for additional performance for street... or extreme track performance. No one model does that.. .... And people love to customize their vehicle from BMW to Mini to Porsche to VW.

Hence these parts are available in the aftermarket AND available from BMW... Just as it's ALWAYS been since the 2002 and E30
Maybe I'm reading this out of context, but I don't see why you have to tell someone they have a problem. Get over yourself, and enjoy the conversation...this is a forum where people should be able to speak without being told they have a problem. It discourages others from joining in.

And maybe lay off on the ALL CAPS. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #62
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

The car is booooring in white. The blue one looks awesome.
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #63
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
I think the terminology is what causes questions. Calling parts "M Performance" prompts the question, "But isn't it already an M?" They could just call it "BMW performance parts" or some other description besides "M". I think BMW needs a terminology and badge/model name overhaul across the board.
I would agree with you there...

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 02:43 AM   #64
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
I guess that it is stupid to want some value. Maybe not all owner want them but even then parts should be available at either a no cost option or very cheap. You already pay a premium to get the m-car. So I guess your way of throwing your money at the window is more Clever.
Are you even listening to yourself? When has anything BMW related (parts, service, price of the car, ect...) considered cheap? You are not going to find value when it comes to German cars, period.

I mean did you really think they were going to sell you a real CF spoiler for $30 and a next exhaust of $200? Come on now

Anyway, back on topic. That spoiler makes the M2 look that much better. Worth every damn penny
It does. It's the same as the one from the M235i right? So I can keep the one I already have....
Its not the same unless you bought a car w/a CF Spoiler installed already.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #65
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Its not the same unless you bought a car w/a CF Spoiler installed already.
It's 100% the same as the current F22 BMW Performance spoiler available....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #66
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Fantastic! Looking great!
Appreciate 0