BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > CS Diff/Steering/DSC Software for OGM2

02-14-2024, 02:49 PM   #1
km111222
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

CS Diff/Steering/DSC Software for OGM2

Hi, wanted to know if anyone has experience with the CS diff, steering, and DSC software on their OGM2.

Is the difference in driving feel significant & is it worth it?

https://bimmer-remote.com/products/c...ing-dsc-for-m2

^this is the product I found, if anyone has used this specific one.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:08 PM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Yes and yes.

There are other ways to get it. You can actually buy the protool and do it yourself, or find someone local that has it and do it.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 03:26 PM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Yes, absolutely. The OG M2 is extremely restrictive even in sport+ mode and the CS software lets you get a little more wild with it before intervention. Well worth the money.

I didn't notice a huge difference with the steering.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 05:34 PM   #4
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Noticed a real difference in CS steering parameter, DSC parameter, but didn’t immediately notice the diff parameter in street driving. If you were tracking regularly the before and after diff coding would likely be noticeable as well.

I consider these three updates as musts for any OG F87.

I would add full-screen CarPlay, and coding on rear DRL to be on at all times to that same list.
Appreciate 2
Andrew2180.00
      02-15-2024, 11:14 AM   #5
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 OG DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
coding on rear DRL to be on at all times to
Is this something that is already inbuilt and can be activated by a dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 12:06 PM   #6
km111222
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Thanks for the input! I'll get this installed soon, and I think it'll make a difference for track days especially.

I've done the CarPlay & DRL coding already as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 01:06 PM   #7
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
Is this something that is already inbuilt and can be activated by a dealer ?
It’s simply a parameter that needs to be set via coding. Can’t speak to if a dealer will do this or not. May depend on the dealer? Regardless, dealing with dealerships is generally miserable so I recommend just getting BimmerCode and doing it yourself. It’s as easy as can be.

Get a Veapeak BLE+ OBD adapter for $20. Buy the app. And you’re off. You can code in other preferences like folding mirrors and iDrive off with door open.

The same adapter with the OnTrack OBD app delivers coolant/oil/iat temps via the CarPlay so it’s a double win.
Appreciate 2
Andrew2180.00
philth198.50
      02-15-2024, 06:51 PM   #8
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

I paid dealer $350 (with CCA discount) to do a full I step coding on my OG. I presume it has the latest CS steering feel because how it feels now was not how I picked it up at 11k miles.
Appreciate 2
Andrew2180.00
      02-17-2024, 05:53 AM   #9
philth
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 N55

Quote:
It’s simply a parameter that needs to be set via coding. Can’t speak to if a dealer will do this or not. May depend on the dealer? Regardless, dealing with dealerships is generally miserable so I recommend just getting BimmerCode and doing it yourself. It’s as easy as can be.

Get a Veapeak BLE+ OBD adapter for $20. Buy the app. And you’re off. You can code in other preferences like folding mirrors and iDrive off with door open.

The same adapter with the OnTrack OBD app delivers coolant/oil/iat temps via the CarPlay so it’s a double win.
So it’s possible to change the Steering/Diff/DCS with BimmerCode? Been reading a few [older] posts while doing research that BimmerCode is unable to access these things. Just want to confirm that it can or can’t before deciding on what to get for coding the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 06:38 AM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
So it’s possible to change the Steering/Diff/DCS with BimmerCode? Been reading a few [older] posts while doing research that BimmerCode is unable to access these things. Just want to confirm that it can or can’t before deciding on what to get for coding the car.
No, bimmercode can't access those ECU's, protocol can.

Here's my review for protool: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2003707

I also have linked guides on how to code eps, dsc, and ghas.

So imo if you were to buy a coding app don't waste your money on anything else, get protool.

For the obd2 adapter don't waste your money on the cheap elm257 trash, and imo veepeak isn't much better. Get yourself a proper enet wifi adapter made specifically to interface with the bmw flex ray system. This gives you significantly faster connectivity (faster coding, faster flashing, faster ECU data reading) and the capability to access every single ECU on board. This opens the door to tuning possibility in the future as well as as the ability to connect to the car with bmw factory apps like ISTA.

If you buy a quality adapter like the bm3 adapter, you get password encryption and sleep mode so you can leave it plugged in without battery drain issues. Here's my review on that: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2025504
philth198.50
Andrew2180.00
CSBM52722.50
      02-17-2024, 06:51 AM   #11
philth
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 N55

Awesome info as per usual F87source!
Just have to get myself a cheapo android device.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:51 AM   #12
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
No, bimmercode can't access those ECU's, protocol can.

Here's my review for protool: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2003707

I also have linked guides on how to code eps, dsc, and ghas.

So imo if you were to buy a coding app don't waste your money on anything else, get protool.

For the obd2 adapter don't waste your money on the cheap elm257 trash, and imo veepeak isn't much better. Get yourself a proper enet wifi adapter made specifically to interface with the bmw flex ray system. This gives you significantly faster connectivity (faster coding, faster flashing, faster ECU data reading) and the capability to access every single ECU on board. This opens the door to tuning possibility in the future as well as as the ability to connect to the car with bmw factory apps like ISTA.

If you buy a quality adapter like the bm3 adapter, you get password encryption and sleep mode so you can leave it plugged in without battery drain issues. Here's my review on that: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2025504
That’s great info as always, but if you don’t have an android device and don’t want to spend BM3 adapter money the Veapeak BLE+ is cheap and works great with BimmerCode and OnTrack OBD.

Faster transfer rates sound great on paper but it’s not like the Veapeak is slow enough to even think about. With DaaP and Bimmer-Remote available I’m happy to leave ProTools alone and let them handle it what I would use ProTools for.

I’m normally team overkill but this is one of those things where it doesn’t make a meaningful difference to me. Glad to have it as an option I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 02:36 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
Awesome info as per usual F87source!
Just have to get myself a cheapo android device.
I recommend the galaxy tab A7 lite, it's super cheap and works fine. It's a tad bit slow, but if you disable or reduce animations and delete all the bloat ware it performs pretty good.

Quote:
That’s great info as always, but if you don’t have an android device and don’t want to spend BM3 adapter money the Veapeak BLE+ is cheap and works great with BimmerCode and OnTrack OBD.

Faster transfer rates sound great on paper but it’s not like the Veapeak is slow enough to even think about. With DaaP and Bimmer-Remote available I’m happy to leave ProTools alone and let them handle it what I would use ProTools for.

I’m normally team overkill but this is one of those things where it doesn’t make a meaningful difference to me. Glad to have it as an option I guess.
Yeah I understand the android only issue, but imo don't waste your money on a cheap adapter. Because if you ever want to tune your car you'll waste money buying a second adapter.

In terms of speed you absolutely notice it when loading really large modules, with a cheap obd2 adapter I used to wait upwards of 10-15 seconds, with the bm3 adapter it's essentially instant. Every bit matters when you're on battery power, as you don't want the car to drop low enough in voltage to make the coding process fail - which can brick things.
philth198.50
      02-17-2024, 07:07 PM   #14
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Touché. I did have to buy that wired OBD enet cable and can’t flash wirelessly now. I stand corrected.

Wish that BM3 adapter had been out 2-3yr ago when I started this journey.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      02-17-2024, 07:52 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Touché. I did have to buy that wired OBD enet cable and can’t flash wirelessly now. I stand corrected.

Wish that BM3 adapter had been out 2-3yr ago when I started this journey.
Imo it's better to buy a quality albeit expensive part once, and never have to waste money doing it again.
chris7197334.00
      02-18-2024, 05:08 AM   #16
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I bought the BM3 wifi adapter and think it's a waste. I use Android and it's much easier to get the USB Ethernet ENET cable going.

I thought the BM3 adapter would be great for everything except you can't access the internet whilst connected to the adapter. So for things like logging whilst you're out driving it's very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 05:24 AM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
I bought the BM3 wifi adapter and think it's a waste. I use Android and it's much easier to get the USB Ethernet ENET cable going.

I thought the BM3 adapter would be great for everything except you can't access the internet whilst connected to the adapter. So for things like logging whilst you're out driving it's very annoying.
That's a valid point, but the issue with a cable is it's hard to route in a clean manner and you always end up with it running either across your legs or over the steering wheel - given you have your phone in the middle of the car. Otherwise it's going to run right up the side to the vent, but it'll never give you a clean cable free aesthetic. Then charging the device is also a pain if you don't have a splitter or wireless charging.

For me I just have a dedicated in car tablet that just lives in my m2 for logging, coding and flashing. My phone doesn't do that job, and thereby doesn't experience the constant screen on at near max brightness and battery drain every single time in the car. So it saves wear and tear on my phone and puts it on my cheapo tablet. Plus it's easier to read a tablet vs. a phone.
      02-18-2024, 05:38 AM   #18
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

I pretty much just use my m2 as a track car these days. I’ve got about 30 track days in the past 3 years, so I’m still an intermediate driver. I updated the steering and diff profiles to m2cs and removed the brake boost. The brake boost removal definitely improves brake feel and stability. The diff I can’t tell a difference while running in Sport+ on the track. The steering feel in Sport and Sport+ didn’t noticeably improve. However, the steering feel in Comfort is NOTICEABLY WORSE. It’s spooky and requires a lot of attention. I used to like Comfort if I was casually driving on the street, but now I avoid it because it’s exhausting. I may go back to default steering settings.
      02-18-2024, 06:44 PM   #19
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

I coded the CS steering tonight. It kind of surprised me how much lighter it was in sport.

It seems more precise, but I think I prefer the default steering. Gonna give it some more time before I switch back.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 07:06 PM   #20
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
I bought a OnePlus Nord N200 5G for 50 bucks from walmart lol - cheap asf and I have another backup phone now if I ever need it. Works great with ProTool and the BM3 wifi adapter.
F87source7251.50
      02-18-2024, 08:21 PM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
I bought a OnePlus Nord N200 5G for 50 bucks from walmart lol - cheap asf and I have another backup phone now if I ever need it. Works great with ProTool and the BM3 wifi adapter.
Holy moly $50?! Wish I could a gotten a phone that cheap. I got an A7 lite for $80 CAD with taxes.
      02-18-2024, 08:27 PM   #22
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Holy moly $50?! Wish I could a gotten a phone that cheap. I got an A7 lite for $80 CAD with taxes.
lol I highly recommend you check the Walmart sales on prepaid phones