BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > TheSketchMonkey looks at the G87 BMW M2 - From a designers perspective

03-04-2022, 05:38 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

TheSketchMonkey looks at the G87 BMW M2 - From a designers perspective

I quite like the end result!

Quote:
Lately, BMW design has not been great. There’s just no other way to put it. They have diluted their own design language which used to be one of the strongest on the market.

Remember back in the 80s and 90s? Even up until the mid 2000s? The face and the proportions of a BMW was unified across the entire lineup. You knew without a doubt that what you were looking at was a car manufactured and designed by the great Bavarian brand.

Today, all of that is gone. The designs of the current lineup are as different and as far away from each other as the A-pillar is from the front axle on the new M240i.

What I want to do in this video is first of all, explain myself by comparing the proportions of the last M2 to the M240 to show you what’s off. Then I’m going to disregard the M2 spy shots and design my own version of the new M2 by taking inspiration from one of the coolest BMW concepts that never made it into production - the BMW CSL Concept from 2015.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 06:53 AM   #2
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

no please,he is not talented at all,he is able to make it look even worse
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 02:11 PM   #3
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

I agree with his sentiments about current BMW design language but I feel like he missed the boat this time. The outcome isn't any 'better' than the current design language.

We'll see. Maybe BMW has listened and they have some tricks up their sleeve.

I will personally be waiting for an LCI/CS so I am happy to be patient and see how things evolve and if needed, what aftermarket parts become available to improve the looks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

I was at my local dealer last night and they had a Brooklyn Grey M240 in stock so I gave it a good look over as I’ve only seen it in pictures. It’s proportions seem off in that the hood looks way too long for the car compared to the short deck on the rear. Not to mention all of the different shapes on the front of the car...triangles, oval like shapes and trapezoids just mashed all together. I hope the M version gets more sophisticated and balanced design work.
Appreciate 0