BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Mod for manual shift.

01-23-2024, 08:46 AM   #1
duosview
Rep
Drives: C63s coupe

Mod for manual shift.

I test drove a manual OG M2 today, the shift feels a little rubbery as mentioned in some videos.

Is there any easy mod to make it feel more crisp or mechanical?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:33 AM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

I am installing this entire kit in an aim to reduce that and improve the feel
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...5118614288kt3/

Mine gets worse after driving it for about 40-60mins +
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:52 AM   #3
CanadianM2
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Auto solutions SSK is commonly recommended as the go to mod for shifter feel.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianM2 View Post
Auto solutions SSK is commonly recommended as the go to mod for shifter feel.
+1

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1613458

One of the best bang for your buck mods for an M2.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 12:25 PM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosview View Post
I test drove a manual OG M2 today, the shift feels a little rubbery as mentioned in some videos.

Is there any easy mod to make it feel more crisp or mechanical?

Thanks.
This is a common complaint among F87 buyers, but one that is mostly corrected with nothing more than the M Performance shift knob. It's honestly amazing the difference it makes, and for a whole $225. Beyond that there are small mods, and larger ones you can do to make it more race-car, but honestly, if you do the shift knob first you probably won't need them.

It's the same with the exhaust. Guys coming from other platforms will want to immediately buy an exhaust to make it louder and more aggressive, but for most it's a mistake. Instead, start with a used catted downpipe. It'll add 30-40% more volume/exhaust artifacts and throaty sound for less than $1k. If it's still not enough, then wait until you get a tune (as most do), and you'll notice it's even better. Then, and only then should you spend the big bucks on an exhaust.
Appreciate 3
      01-23-2024, 05:41 PM   #6
CanadianM2
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

You think just the M knob helps? I don’t really like the way it looks compared to the stock one but if it’s a better feel it may be worth the purchase
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 02:40 AM   #7
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

It's incrementally better than stock vs a SSK being several degrees of change. I find the stock knob to be top heavy but, despite being lighter than stock, the MP knob keeps the weight of the lever more concentrated and lower.

For the cost and ease of install, it's definitely worth going this route.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 03:07 AM   #8
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post

Honestly if you are going to spend the labour $ to install this (or even diy) you'd be much better off just getting an Auto Solutions SSK, the extra cost for the SSK over the re-build kit would be rewarded with a night & day shift improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
This is a common complaint among F87 buyers, but one that is mostly corrected with nothing more than the M Performance shift knob. It's honestly amazing the difference it makes, and for a whole $225. Beyond that there are small mods, and larger ones you can do to make it more race-car, but honestly, if you do the shift knob first you probably won't need them.
If you drove an M2 with an AS SSK I'm pretty sure you'd change your opinion. The M Performance (F22 alcantra/cf version) was my 2nd MT related mod, clutch stop the first. Yes the smaller knob felt a bit more direct but it was nothing to the improvement the SSK gave when I later got that. Also it's not all positives with that M Perf knob, being smaller & shorter than oem isn't helpful on track or twisty spirited drives. After getting the SSK I went back to the oem knob for a while but ultimately went with a Raceseng Circuit Sphere.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 05:23 PM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianM2 View Post
You think just the M knob helps? I don’t really like the way it looks compared to the stock one but if it’s a better feel it may be worth the purchase
It absolutely helps, and for the money it can't be beat. Yes, it was a bit of work to swap the boot, and yes it's smaller, and yes it feels less friendly, but the shift action is at least 50% improved (to me). I'm lucky that I actually like the way it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
If you drove an M2 with an AS SSK I'm pretty sure you'd change your opinion. Yes the smaller knob felt a bit more direct but it was nothing to the improvement the SSK gave when I later got that. Also it's not all positives with that M Perf knob, being smaller & shorter than oem isn't helpful on track or twisty spirited drives.
I don't doubt I'd like it, but for the price the MP knob has it beat, and honestly, I don't feel like I need anything more. It's smaller, which I like, but barely shorter, and I think it's better on twisty drives. I did test this on The Dragon after I got the knob, and it was a vast improvement. There are negatives to the SSK as well, listed in the various threads on it, but if you're 100% happy with it, more power to you sir.

I may get the AS SSK one day, just like I may get an exhaust one day, but for now the MPSK and Fabspeed sport cat do the trick.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 10:43 PM   #10
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
I’ve driven BMW manuals since 2013 and have never felt like they had a great feeling. No complaint but like I totally understood when I later read people describe it as rubbery.

Well, I can’t wait to try and experience what broad public considers to be peak manual. Because in the last couple years I’ve also been able to try a GTI stick and Mini Cooper S stick and both to me felt worse than the BMW.

Pretty unrelated to the thread but it’s just been on my mind. Sharing my thoughts for fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:25 PM   #11
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
I don't doubt I'd like it, but for the price the MP knob has it beat, and honestly, I don't feel like I need anything more. It's smaller, which I like, but barely shorter, and I think it's better on twisty drives. I did test this on The Dragon after I got the knob, and it was a vast improvement. There are negatives to the SSK as well, listed in the various threads on it, but if you're 100% happy with it, more power to you sir.

I may get the AS SSK one day, just like I may get an exhaust one day, but for now the MPSK and Fabspeed sport cat do the trick.
My point though is if starting with oem knob/shifter and wanting to improve shift action/feel, the best value for $ spent is an Auto Solutions SSK imo, I went through 3 other shift knobs (incl the M Perf as previously mentioned) and their affect may be 20% of what the SSK does.

The only possible negative of the Auto Solutions is if you go with the hardest shift arm mount bushings (the blue ones which I have) some get an intermittent buzz with the oem knob. I had it, only in 4th for a small rpm window and only the oem knob, no noise with the M Perf or other knobs I've used. I know there are/were reported issues with other brand SSK's which is why I went with AS (back in early 2019). I've now done 100K km with the shifter without issue.

Re exhaust, consider getting the back box modded. I've had the Fabspeed sportcat since 2018 and was happy with oem exhaust with flap locked open, then around 8mths ago had the muffler modded (there's a thread here somewhere) and sounds really good & noticeably louder, standing at back of idling car the volume is now equal from both sides (with valve open), previously you could hardly hear the left side. I've now turned off cold start though to save angst with the neighbours
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:28 PM   #12
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
My point though is if starting with oem knob/shifter and wanting to improve shift action/feel, the best value for $ spent is an Auto Solutions SSK imo, I went through 3 other shift knobs (incl the M Perf as previously mentioned) and their affect may be 20% of what the SSK does.

The only possible negative of the Auto Solutions is if you go with the hardest shift arm mount bushings (the blue ones which I have)
Do you have to modify the cup holders for the ssk to fit? I thought i saw that somewhere.
      01-25-2024, 06:42 PM   #13
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Do you have to modify the cup holders for the ssk to fit? I thought i saw that somewhere.
No, that's only the CAE: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795695

Auto Solutions is custom made to your specs including height (stock, lower, higher, etc). Looks 100% stock.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 06:57 PM   #14
Swank
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I came from an NC Miata and am not a huge fan of the feel of the shifter either. In the same boat of considering a AS SSK but also toying with getting the Turner rear bushing which seems like a cheap and easy way to get a less rubbery feel. I’m ok with the shifter and the throws, just would like more feedback on the shifts themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 09:34 PM   #15
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Re exhaust, consider getting the back box modded. I've had the Fabspeed sportcat since 2018 and was happy with oem exhaust with flap locked open, then around 8mths ago had the muffler modded (there's a thread here somewhere) and sounds really good & noticeably louder, standing at back of idling car the volume is now equal from both sides (with valve open), previously you could hardly hear the left side. I've now turned off cold start though to save angst with the neighbours
I was gonna say I can hear my left side just fine, then I noticed you're from AU and now I'm wondering if my right side might be quieter
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00
      01-26-2024, 06:50 AM   #16
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Not sure I'd go through the trouble of modding the stock back box, but it could be a good solution for some.

The thing I like about the stock exhaust + Fabspeed sport cat + Dinan resonator delete + flaps locked open is how aggressive it sounds under load, but how docile it sounds in comfort. I think the volume is fine really. Never noticed any difference side to side. I'll have to check that.

Oh, and cold-start is one of the first things I ditched, but I don't mind ASD at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:06 PM   #17
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Just coming back to mention that I installed that blue bushing and it made a world of difference in the stock shifter's precision and feel. No more vague gears, and it's very clicky now. It does make a bit more sound too.

It took about 30 mins to install once the car was in the air. It's a bit annoying around the exhaust and driveshaft but doable.

I understand that some people say go the whole way with a short shifter, but I'd rather understand what may be causing it to be that way, and I don't particularly care for shortening the shift.
Others:
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2024, 07:36 PM   #18
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Just coming back to mention that I installed that blue bushing and it made a world of difference in the stock shifter's precision and feel. No more vague gears, and it's very clicky now. It does make a bit more sound too.

It took about 30 mins to install once the car was in the air. It's a bit annoying around the exhaust and driveshaft but doable.

I understand that some people say go the whole way with a short shifter, but I'd rather understand what may be causing it to be that way, and I don't particularly care for shortening the shift.
I too have the Turner shifter bushing, and coupled it with the carbon shift knob. No complaints at all from my shifting, but I do wonder about the other bits in that kit.
Appreciate 1
Enabled1410.00
      02-08-2024, 08:47 AM   #19
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I too have the Turner shifter bushing, and coupled it with the carbon shift knob. No complaints at all from my shifting, but I do wonder about the other bits in that kit.
I want to install those someday, especially the teflon oval bushings, but I was on simple jackstands/ramps and the other bushings would require a lot more work.

I ordered the entire kit because it was cheaper than buying the Turner bushing separately
Others:
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50