BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Carbahn stage 1 performance controller (piggyback) review

05-27-2022, 08:52 AM   #1
JL1002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Carbahn stage 1 performance controller (piggyback) review

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what I'm talking about. I have minimal experience with tuning and track/driving at the limit.

I have seen a fair amount of discussion on this product and it doesn't seem many members have used it, so I thought I would share my experience thus far. My only other experience with tuning is with the Dinantronics sport tuner for the N55/M235, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Installation wasn't awful, but I wouldn't describe it as easy. I don't know how it could be done without removing the intercooler. I couldn't run the cam sensor plugs along the intake tubes like they recommend without removing the intercooler, as the connector is too big to fit through (if you watch the YouTube install video they don't show this step, he just says "run it through here" then the video cuts to it magically being done). However, this doesn't really matter as I don't think there's a chance in hell you're getting to the MAF behind the intercooler without removing it. Also, the CAM sensor plug is difficult to get plugged back in. I have small hands and I struggled for 15-20min.

The tune feels great though. One member described it as efficient feels like sport, sport like sport+, and sport+ like... sport++? This is a pretty accurate description, I would only add that it accomplishes this through an increase in power and not throttle mapping trickery.

The power curve feels similar in that it drops off around 5500rpm. My car is a 6MT and I don't track it, so this doesn't bother me. I don't know how people are routinely redlining this car on public roads as 1st can be short shifted, 2nd tops out at highway speed, and the top of 3rd is going to land you in big trouble. I recently drove a Mustang GT pp2 (awesome car!) and can say I prefer the torque and low end power for daily/street driving. I understand the gripe for track driving though.

The only issue I have noticed with it so far is it can be a little jerky in stop and go traffic. Sport+ feels a bit like an on/off switch when trying to crawl in 1st. Putting the car into sport lessens it, and efficient even more so. Opening the app and turning the tune off will resolve it completely. It's not that bad though, it's just a littttle jerky. I haven't noticed any weirdness to it while driving normally. I only noticed this while in a traffic jam. Taking off in 1st under normal driving conditions feels perfectly normal.

I hope this helps anyone on the fence about purchasing. Let me know if you have any questions and I will attempt to answer them.
Appreciate 5
Kingpin4386.50
akkando5869.00
      05-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #2
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Power curve being similar I am not sure if that’s a good thing. It should pull all the way to redline without any drops of power. That’s the major flaw with the detuned s55 in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
JL1002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Power curve being similar I am not sure if that’s a good thing. It should pull all the way to redline without any drops of power. That’s the major flaw with the detuned s55 in the M2.
I agree. This thing just amplifies the stock curve, which isn't ideal. I think it's going to take a flash to resolve that.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Indeed, only a flash tune can alter the power curve.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 09:24 PM   #5
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

I think folks will appreciate the honest feedback and some of the quirkiness of piggyback tune you called out and having to adjust between modes to mitigate could get old quick. Being one of the lucky ones to have my DME flashed it is nice the car feels factory just with more across the power band with no compromises. Curious how does the Carbahn piggyback compare to JB4, RaceChip etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 05:30 AM   #6
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks for the review. Should have gone the flash tune route like bm3, much more versatile and proper way to tune it and you could have sorted all the little quirks you mentioned with it.
Appreciate 1
JL1002133.50
      05-28-2022, 07:02 AM   #7
JL1002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Thanks for the review. Should have gone the flash tune route like bm3, much more versatile and proper way to tune it and you could have sorted all the little quirks you mentioned with it.
I likely will eventually. I'm a 2020 so I need to figure out my DME situation and I didn't want to go through all of that just yet. I was just looking for something simple and easily reversible (I'm aware I can still be flagged w a piggyback).

The jerkiness I mentioned is very minimal and I don't find myself in stop and go traffic often enough for it to bother me, so I'm not worried about it and am pleased with the product.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
JL1002133.50