BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Clutch shudder bad when hot

07-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #23
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
I hate to dig this thread out of the grave from like 9 months ago, but has anybody else done anything further with this? I have around 22,500 miles on my 2018 and I've been noticing weirdness with the clutch. I got it really bad today when backing out of my garage and down my drive, which is a very gentle downward slope.

I was feeding a tiny bit of gas and slowly letting out the clutch and it felt like everything was shuddering violently, so I clutched back in and tried again with a little bit more throttle and then it was at least better. The car was "cold," but it had been sitting inside my closed garage which was baking in 90F+ heat and high humidity all afternoon. Of note, I do still have my delay valve, car is 100% stock other than having an AWRON gauge installed and ASD coded off.

I'm always super paranoid about clutch wear... but I also downshift to decelerate a lot, figuring that the auto-blip is helping me to not do too much damage to the clutch.

I'm worried that if I take it to BMW I or they won't be able to reproduce it, and even if we can, I'm worried they'll say, "sorry, clutch is a wear item, you're paying for all of it."
I have 62K on my 2018 LCI (59K by me) - when hot, I feel ~some chatter only in 1st gear but not the shuddering that you mention.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 01:26 AM   #24
convolution
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I've also experienced intermittent shuddering when engaging 1st gear that seems to happen more often when it's hot outside.

The worst seemed to be in heavy stop and go traffic which makes it seem like something is heak soaking.

Are other people experiencing this with stock cooling setups? My car is fully stock when I experienced these.

Haven't had any hot weather recently or tried upgraded intercooler/other cooling in hot weather but it seems to never happen anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #25
Dw4231
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 , Bmw 435i, Bmw 335i,

Has anyone changed out there flywheel and clutch?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #26
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw4231 View Post
Has anyone changed out there flywheel and clutch?
Mine was done under warranty back in Jan 2019, after removing transmission dealer assessed flywheel was causing shudder.

Anyone with shudder problems, if not warranty work I would recommend the first option is to remove the Clutch Delay Valve. I did this several weeks ago and immediately noticed dramatic improvement to how the clutch engages when moving off from stationary. I'll type the long story below but any hint of shudder has disappeared.

Even after the new clutch/flywheel I could induce shudder in city driving, moving off using say 6-700 rpm the car is far from stalling but often there would be shudder, it was like it created a resonant frequency. Using around 1Krpm & not letting them drop there was no shudder.

Similarly if I was moving say 5-10kph with clutch in and then started engaging clutch with revs enough to smoothly accelerate I could get the shudder and have to disengage clutch, give more revs then re-engage clutch there was no shudder.

So I've been driving the car like you would an old modded carburettor/lumpy camshaft car (ie easier to stall), keeping revs around 1K+ to move off avoided any shudder. At least with my M2 it didn't like the clutch engaging in 1st at low rpm even though the engine has plenty of torque with no risk of stalling.

Then I removed the CDV and city driving has been transformed, I'm now moving off in 1st like I have the last 42yrs without any hint of shudder. Out of lockdown next week so can't wait to see what if any difference there is spirited and on track.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #27
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

At 5:55 I believe this is what he is referring to

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #28
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Mine was done under warranty back in Jan 2019, after removing transmission dealer assessed flywheel was causing shudder.

Anyone with shudder problems, if not warranty work I would recommend the first option is to remove the Clutch Delay Valve. I did this several weeks ago and immediately noticed dramatic improvement to how the clutch engages when moving off from stationary. I'll type the long story below but any hint of shudder has disappeared.

Even after the new clutch/flywheel I could induce shudder in city driving, moving off using say 6-700 rpm the car is far from stalling but often there would be shudder, it was like it created a resonant frequency. Using around 1Krpm & not letting them drop there was no shudder.

Similarly if I was moving say 5-10kph with clutch in and then started engaging clutch with revs enough to smoothly accelerate I could get the shudder and have to disengage clutch, give more revs then re-engage clutch there was no shudder.

So I've been driving the car like you would an old modded carburettor/lumpy camshaft car (ie easier to stall), keeping revs around 1K+ to move off avoided any shudder. At least with my M2 it didn't like the clutch engaging in 1st at low rpm even though the engine has plenty of torque with no risk of stalling.

Then I removed the CDV and city driving has been transformed, I'm now moving off in 1st like I have the last 42yrs without any hint of shudder. Out of lockdown next week so can't wait to see what if any difference there is spirited and on track.

Did you get a new Master Cylinder?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #29
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Did you get a new Master Cylinder?
No, followed the procedure in the video in link below, don't change/swap any parts but just remove a rubber spacer & the metal restrictor piece from inside the slave while leaving the slave in situ. Not that you would want to, but you could re-install the cdv if needed.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=50
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2263.00
      10-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #30
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
No, followed the procedure in the video in link below, don't change/swap any parts but just remove a rubber spacer & the metal restrictor piece from inside the slave while leaving the slave in situ. Not that you would want to, but you could re-install the cdv if needed.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=50
AWESOME. I'll try to have this done next service, my flex disk for the driveshaft is going (driveline vibration) I'll do this at the same time