BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Spring Cleaning - Unreal Reflections

05-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Spring Cleaning - Unreal Reflections

As great a condition as this car was in when I got it, there were some scratches & scuffs here & there. And the tell-all "plastic baggie test" showed the paint was pretty contaminated, needed clay treatment badly.

In the end, I got all the scuffs out completely; scratches removed (majority) or greatly reduced. And now the paint feels like butter & the finish is simply stunning.

Reflections are really sharp/crisp and no visible defects in the paint at all. I am really not a huge fan of ceramic coatings - I like the look & feel of polishes and waxes. But when the paint is prepped right, I guess the ceramic coating looks and feels just as luxurious.

Wish it was sunny... but the reflections of the clouds, well... pretty cool!

If you like what you see & you're interested in know what products I used - and I am not paid by, associated with, etc. etc. etc... any of these folks:

Clay-barred (Riccardo yellow bar)
Compounded (Blackfire BF221 & Turtle Wax Compound for the heavier marks)
Polished (Blackfire BF220)
Isopropyl Alcohol wipe-down prep
Ceramic-coated (Blackfire BF280 "Detailer's Choice" ceramic coating)
Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant
Polymer Spray treatment (Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray)
Wheels cleaned & ceramic coated
McKee's37 Ceramic coating tire protectant/shine (If you're not using this, you need to get it. Lasts a really long time & dries to the touch while remaining shiny.)
CarPro Flyby30 Ceramic glass coating
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 05-02-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3870.50
      05-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Great job,

As soon as I have my own garage, I'll be tackling a big detailing job like this.

What's the plastic baggie trick?
      05-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #3
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the compliment bud!

After you've washed & dried your car, you put your hand inside a plastic baggie & rub it over your paint. It may (likely) will feel gritty & rough even though you just washed the car. This is embedded contaminants on & in the paint (rail dust, brake dust, contaminants) that washing can't remove. This is why you will read or hear people talk about clay bars/claying their cars. The clay removes these contaminants. You need to do this step to get a really nice polish & wax job that results in high shine/gloss that sheds water. You definitely need to do this before applying ceramic coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
Great job,

As soon as I have my own garage, I'll be tackling a big detailing job like this.

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 2
SebsM2649.00
      05-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post

After you've washed & dried your car, you put your hand inside a plastic baggie & rub it over your paint. It may (likely) will feel gritty & rough even though you just washed the car. This is embedded contaminants on & in the paint (rail dust, brake dust, contaminants) that washing can't remove. This is why you will read or hear people talk about clay bars/claying their cars. The clay removes these contaminants. You need to do this step to get a really nice polish & wax job that results in high shine/gloss that sheds water. You definitely need to do this before applying ceramic coating.

Quote:
Great job,

Thanks for the explanation, man.
I'm nervous to do that plastic bag test now lol.
      05-13-2021, 10:30 PM   #5
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Plastic baggie test is the gateway drug to a lifetime obsession with butter-smooth paint, clay & orbital polishers. LOL Don't say I didn't warn you. LOL

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, man.
I'm nervous to do that plastic bag test now lol.
Appreciate 1
SebsM2649.00
      05-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post

i am ruint forever now.