BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > COVID-19 therapy: a long drive in our cars is just what the doctor orders!

03-20-2020, 10:04 PM   #45
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Sorry if I come off as ignorant, it's really not my intention but everyday you walk out your house is a gamble, tomorrow is not guaranteed, so I'm willing roll the dice and move on...
It's not that you come across as ignorant, but as someone who is only thinking about yourself. If you are sick, whether your know it or not, you put others at risk. Think of your coworkers, parents, grandparents, relatives, friends, etc. I don't get this idea of this being overblown, as if the entire world was looking for an excuse to shut down, have hospitals overfilled with dying people and lose trillions of $$$ in the process. All because they were duped by the media.

If that's what you believe than it's what you believe. If there's anything I've learned is that there's literally nothing I can say to people that think this way to change their minds. I may as well be talking to a wall. But, I know there may be others out there that may come across this thread and are simply uninformed looking for answers and I want to make sure they understand this is not a joke, a conspiracy or some other crazy theory that changes whenever hard facts come out.
Appreciate 4
Montaver2068.00
BigKutta3870.50
Hankdoll135.50
      03-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #46
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't blame the spring-breakers in Miami, to paraphrase Ivan Drago; 'if I die, I die'..
I know this a pandemic and seems pretty severe to some with a weak immunity that are infected but humanity as a whole is resilient and has survived much worst threats, yet bounced back.
I'm not trying to downplay those that are affected but I personally felt that all these lockdowns was unwarranted and didn't necessarily need to grind the entire globe to a screeching halt, for a virus that hasn't fully yet proven to be contractible via airborne.
This whole thing seems like a perfect storm, that had gotten overblown by the media, since everyone nowadays has a phone attached to their face, thus, causing the fear-mongering to spread worst than the actual virus, forcing the government and businesses to react, in order to appease their constituents.
As a result, this elicited a chain-reaction of panic, almost like dominos falling on each other, which is likely to produce more harm to societies around the globe than the virus, possibly for many years to come.
I can't wait for everything to resume to normal, so we asses what actual damage has been done, as a result of this gross overreaction.
**Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong..**
The laissez faire attitude is exactly the problem, it's why Italy is now on lock down with overflowing wards and shortage of ventilators. If there are no containment measures it spreads rapidly, people will die because the medical services will be completely overwhelmed. Here's an article with stats on intensive care beds available. https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ds/5002942002/

Sounds harsh and you are entitled to your opinion, but the longer this isn't dealt with properly the longer it will persist creating lasting economic damage. Its no coincidence the countries which cracked down hard instantly (HK, Singapore, and laterly Korea) are in a much better position. Make no mistake people are dying now, that's peoples loved ones, familiy members, because every idiot thinks it doesn't affect them and keeps ignoring the warnings- until it does. The spring break kids are irresponsible and immature, because they are not able to comprehend the risks they are putting others in. When one of them takes it back to their family and kills one of their grand parents i'm sure they wont be laughing. Society is riddled with selfish idiots though so this doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by Montaver; 03-20-2020 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3870.50
alan7467128.00
      03-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #47
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Sorry if I come off as ignorant, it's really not my intention but everyday you walk out your house is a gamble, tomorrow is not guaranteed, so I'm willing roll the dice and move on...
It's not that you come across as ignorant, but as someone who is only thinking about yourself. If you are sick, whether your know it or not, you put others at risk. Think of your coworkers, parents, grandparents, relatives, friends, etc. I don't get this idea of this being overblown, as if the entire world was looking for an excuse to shut down, have hospitals overfilled with dying people and lose trillions of $$$ in the process. All because they were duped by the media.
If that's what you believe than it's what you believe. If there's anything I've learned is that there's literally nothing I can say to people that think this way to change their minds. I may as well be talking to a wall. But, I know there may be others out there that may come across this thread and are simply uninformed looking for answers and I want to make sure they understand this is not a joke, a conspiracy or some other crazy theory that changes whenever hard facts come out.
I'm selfish? Really? That hurts because its so far from the truth and I really don't have any shame to say otherwise, had It been true, as a selfish person wouldn't.

Get off your soapbox already, no one comes here for information on a pandemic, we're just shooting the breeze and if you want to bury your head in the sand and believe the world is ending, more power to you and maybe if you buying into all that, then you should also try praying, that might work..

I simply believe opposite and like I clearly mention is just my opinion. I'm not trying to sway folks either way, I pinky promise.

I couldn't care less either way, I've been social distancing before it became a thing.

My "selfishness" for one, spans from the folks that live hand-to-mouth and depend on a check every week to survive but is unnecessarily displaced because of virus the risk of contracting is less than winning the lotto.

I resent the fact I'm labeled as anything when my heart is clean but instead of using that to think, I use my brain.

I'm always willing to accept new information and humble myself if I'm wrong, as everyday is college for me but so far, I'm not convinced that the entire globe needed to spot spinning on its axis simple because some people got sick but we'll leave it that because I feel my point of view is getting lost in translation and being misconstrued.

Enjoy your healthy diet of the media KoolAid, lap it but for now, I'll continue drinking my Corona until supposed Armageddon but until then, lets just amicably agree to disagree on the subject because I actually appreciate most of your contributions here.

For the record, I don't believe society is being totally unreasonable, considering the facts but merely overacting based on the media's domino effect..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #48
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
I'm selfish? Really? That hurts because its so far from the truth and I really don't have any shame to say otherwise, had It been true, as a selfish person wouldn't.
Get off your soapbox already, no one comes here for information on a pandemic, we're just shooting the breeze and if you want to bury your head in the sand and believe the world is ending, more power to you and maybe if you buying into all that, then maybe you should also try praying, that might work..
I simply believe opposite and like I clearly mention is just my opinion. I'm not trying to sway folks either way, I pinky promise.
I couldn't care less either way, I've been social distancing before it became a thing.
My "selfishness" for one, spans from the folks that live hand-to-mouth and depend on a check every week to survive but is unnecessarily displaced because of virus the risk of contracting is less than winning the lotto.
I resent the fact I'm labeled as anything when my heart is clean but instead of using that to think, I use my brain.
I'm always willing to accept new information and humble myself if I'm wrong, as everyday is college for me but so far, I'm not convinced that the entire globe needed to spot spinning on its axis simple because some people got sick but we'll leave it that because I feel my point of view is getting lost in translation and being misconstrued.
Enjoy your healthy diet of the media KoolAid, lap it but for now, I'll continue drinking my Corona until supposed Armageddon but until then, lets just amicably agree to disagree on the subject because I actually appreciate most of your contributions here.
You’ve literary just proved my previous point. Sounds like you’ve got life all figured out, good for you. I wish you the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:38 PM   #49
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Get off your soapbox already, no one comes here for information on a pandemic, we're just shooting the breeze and if you want to bury your head in the sand and believe the world is ending, more power to you and maybe if you buying into all that, then maybe you should also try praying, that might work..
You've literary just proved my previous point. Sounds like you've got life all figured out, good for you. I wish you the best.
I know you're being sarcastic but it's true..

Let me know you if you want to buy a face mask, toilette paper or Bible, I'll give it you for real cheap
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #50
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Let me know you if you want to buy a face mask, toilette paper or Bible, I'll give it you for real cheap
Ohh no, I was dead serious. You’re totally on your game and are absolutely crushing it. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #51
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ohh no, I was dead serious. You're totally on your game and are absolutely crushing it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Hmm..

I was serious about the toilette paper also, you sound like my target demographic.

Just remember, you use it wipe your butt, not your head, the media didn't instruct that, so I see were that can get confusing and figure I should give you the heads up
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #52
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't blame the spring-breakers in Miami, to paraphrase Ivan Drago; 'if I die, I die'..
I know this a pandemic and seems pretty severe to some with a weak immunity that are infected but humanity as a whole is resilient and has survived much worst threats, yet bounced back.
I'm not trying to downplay those that are affected but I personally felt that all these lockdowns was unwarranted and didn't necessarily need to grind the entire globe to a screeching halt, for a virus that hasn't fully yet proven to be contractible via airborne.
This whole thing seems like a perfect storm, that had gotten overblown by the media, since everyone nowadays has a phone attached to their face, thus, causing the fear-mongering to spread worst than the actual virus, forcing the government and businesses to react, in order to appease their constituents.
As a result, this elicited a chain-reaction of panic, almost like dominos falling on each other, which is likely to produce more harm to societies around the globe than the virus, possibly for many years to come.
I can't wait for everything to resume to normal, so we asses what actual damage has been done, as a result of this gross overreaction.
**Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong..**
Society is riddled with selfish idiots though so this doesn't surprise me.
I can't argue with your there..

Come back and check me in a year, if the world doesn't end, I'll buy you a Corona..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #53
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Hmm..
I was serious about the toilette paper also, you sound like my target demographic.
Just remember, you use it wipe your butt, not your head, the media didn't instruct that, so I see were that can get confusing and figure I should give you the heads up
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:35 AM   #54
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
For the record, I don't believe society is being totally unreasonable, considering the facts but merely overacting based on the media's domino effect..
Poochie, take a look at these videos:

More educational explanation:

More scientific explanation:

Reality-check:

Learning from the past: back in 1918 patriotic parades were scheduled to be held in St. Louis and Philadelphia. Because of the Spanish flu pandemic, St. Louis canceled the event. Philadelphia decided to go ahead. The consequences: see here.

Name:  Darwin_Fittest.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  140.8 KB
      03-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #55
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Attachment 2264337
Very sobering times, I guess I have to run through the several stages of denial before finally, acceptance..

If you told me a month ago that today, I wouldn't be able to dine at a nice restaurant or the new unofficial currency would become toilette paper, I would of suggested you commit yourself to the mad house.. Now that's just shrugged off as the new normal..
Appreciate 1
Artemis28913.00
      03-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #56
Betaone
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

As an Italian I advise you to learn from our mistakes. We were the first to suffer the consequences and we waited too long, we took increasingly restrictive measures too, gradually letting the infection spread more and more. The speed of contagion is very fast and every day that we postpone the total blockade will do enormous damage.
At first we were incredulous and very superficial, but we had to change quickly. Only when you see images of hospitals full of people in intensive care dying alone without the affection of relatives, when you see the faces of doctors and nurses destroyed by work shifts and grieving for the lives they cannot save, when you see an ambulance leaving near your home with sirens on, when you see army trucks full of coffins waiting for cremation, you realize that you are already lucky to be stuck at home, not to have a relative, a sick friend.
You do not know how it pains me not to use my bike, my M2C, not to go to the lake, the sea, the mountains, not to go to the movies, to dine with friends, but it is nothing compared to the sacrifice that our doctors and nurses are doing, risking their lives. Many doctors and nurses are already dead. There are many elderly people with other diseases who have died, but there are also people under 40 years old in full health who died (affects ALL).
It will be an economic disaster but we will think about it when we get out of it. The pandemic is stopped with a vaccine (which does not exist) or with the total blockade. The sooner you start, the sooner you get out.
In the meantime use all precautions to protect yourself. Do not stay in crowded, enclosed places. Stay at least three feet away from any person. Do not touch mouth, nose and eyes unless you have washed your hands thoroughly or used a disinfectant gel.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Appreciate 7
BigKutta3870.50
Tag17926.50
Montaver2068.00
Artemis28913.00
Hankdoll135.50
akkando5860.00
      03-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #57
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Sorry Betaone, but thats how many of us Americans feel thanks to our bumbling idiot. We are doing half measures right now, but we may as go all in for a few weeks. Only way to control this for now, when we cannot even find hand sanitizer.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #58
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
I can't argue with your there..
Come back and check me in a year, if the world doesn't end, I'll buy you a Corona..
This sums up the potential outcomes without severe controls -
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-outbreak.html

This has nothing to do with the media, in fact certain mainstream US outlets were barely reporting it whilst it was in Asia.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #59
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montaver View Post
this sums up the potential outcomes without severe controls
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-outbreak.html
this has nothing to do with the media, in fact certain mainstream us outlets were barely reporting it whilst it was in asia.
Name:  NYT_20March20_1.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  198.8 KB
Name:  NYT_20March20_2.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  338.9 KB
(Source: here)
      03-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #60
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

You know how scary it feels when you lose control of your car (I felt compelled to try and stay on topic somehow)? Well, I've been feeling that way about this damn plague. It's a feeling of helplessness and a fear of having no control.

But Artemis's charts above remind me of one important thing. I have a lot of control over whether or not I get COVID-19. I care deeply about my loved ones and friends and neighbors (oh ya, and you guys too!), but every day I can be super careful about what I touch, how near I get to others, and how clean I keep myself (and my car, of course!).

We aren't powerless right now, not entirely. Make sure you aren't one of those who ends up needing the health care system. Make sure you are around next month and next year to drive those awesome, bad-ass, totally amazing cars. Life can be a lot of fun. Stay safe and healthy.
      03-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #61
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Artemis andrettifan Don't let science and facts get in the way of people's media biased/influenced gut feel and emotions, guys. C'mon, these are all charts you made up because you are self-quarantined with nothing better to do
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #62
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Artemis andrettifan Don't let science and facts get in the way of people's media biased/influenced gut feel and emotions, guys. C'mon, these are all charts you made up because you are self-quarantined with nothing better to do
Yea bro, some of us care so little about science, that they saved their own personal high school lab book from 13 years ago, on pandemics, infectious diseases and effects it has on the populous, just to reference it, prior to everyone jumping on the bandwagon..

So some of us ignorant fools like to form reasoning before becoming a media sheep and jumping to conclusions - very un- science like, I know...

Name:  01584820811.jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  628.8 KB

Name:  01584820817.jpeg
Views: 272
Size:  681.0 KB

Name:  01584820820.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  638.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #63
Poochie
United_States
Rep

TIL that BMW Financial, Geico insurance and my mortgage company just deferred any and all payments until July 2020..

Finally, this pandemic is showing a silver lining; time to pop a bottle of champagne and start some online shopping with all the money I'm saving..

Big, shiny rims, I'll see you soon..
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #64
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Very sobering times, I guess I have to run through the several stages of denial before finally, acceptance..
If you told me a month ago that today, I wouldn't be able to dine at a nice restaurant or the new unofficial currency would become toilette paper, I would of suggested you commit yourself to the mad house.. Now that's just shrugged off as the new normal..
Poochie, I truly appreciate that you keep an open mind for other points of view. Remember that the conversation over here is definitely not about winning or losing an argument. It's about protecting lives from being hurt, wrecked or killed. It's about caring for the well-being of one another. Even if you'd remain skeptical about the magnitude of the COVID-19 crisis, do us all the favor of committing the noble altruistic gesture to protect others and yourself by hunkering down right now. In the balance of interests, in the end, health and caring for each other should matter most.

The US now climbed to #4 in the list of officially confirmed COVID-19 cases worldwide (March 21, 2020) (source: here):
Name:  COVID-19_21March20.png
Views: 245
Size:  40.5 KB

Sting - "Something The Boy Said" ("Ten Summoner's Tales" album - 1993)
When we set out on this journey | There were no doubts in our minds | We set our eyes to the distance | We would find what we would find | We took courage from our numbers | What we sought, we did not fear | Sometimes we'd glimpse a shadow falling | Then the shadow would disappear | But our thoughts kept returning | To something the boy said as we turned to go | He said « You'll never see our faces again | You'll be food for a carrion crow » | Every step we took today | Our thoughts would always stray | From the wind on the moor so wild | To the words of the captain's child | Something the boy said | Something the boy said | Something the boy said | Something the boy said | In the circles we made with our fires | We talked of the pale afternoon | The clouds were like dark riders | Flying on the face of the moon | We spoke our fears to the captain | And asked what his son could know | For we would never have marched so far | To be food for a crow | Every step we took today | Our thoughts would always stray | From the wind on the moor so wild | To the words of the captain's child | Something the boy said | Something the boy said | Something the boy said | Something the boy said | When I awoke this morning | The sun's eye was red as blood | The stench of burning corpses | Faces in the mud | Am I dead or am I living? | I'm too afraid to care, I'm too afraid to know | I'm too afraid to look behind me | At the feast of the crow | We spoke our fears to the captain | And asked what his son could know | For we would never have marched so far | To be food, for a crow | Something the boy said...
      03-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #65
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Jesus, Switzerland is 8.5M population...

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I'm still debating pushing back my delivery, but some recent posts in the Hockenheim picture thread have conviced me that C33 looks better with black/carbon mirror caps. Just waiting for deals to pop up for a nice set. I'm way to cheap to spend 1k on the MP versions...
      03-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #66
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
In the balance of interests, in the end, health and caring for each other should matter most.
Thanks for the information, yes, the spread is at at an alarming rate and I think that's what scare people the most.

Although, from what I learn, it's mostly lethal to those with a weaker immune system i.e. older to sicker host, which gives some hope that most will have a strong enough immunity to the virus.

Hopefully, a vaccine is tested and approved real soon. I understand it takes awhile because it's at this point, it's basically a mule. Whatever they brewed up needs to be tested on field hosts, to ensure or point out any side-effects, on a longer term.

It really blows that this year in morphing to a complete lockdown and sheer waste.. I had hopes for 2020..

It will be interesting to it how it all turns out in the coming months..

Name:  01584829693.jpeg
Views: 336
Size:  552.6 KB
Appreciate 0