BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My random M2C thoughts...

03-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #23
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Yes, I let it idle for a while, 5 to 10 min, as soon as oil reaches 160F I drive off but only low speeds and under 3k rpm then I wait for 200F for 5k+ RPM, that takes another 10 minutes...

It's been that way before and after break in oil service

Like I said, I never did this to any of my cars before
Since my first BMW, I have made it a point to never let a cold car idle. As others have said, its important to let all components warm up together. You are over-worried about the M2. This is a well engineered car and you babying is not good for it. Keep the revs low (<4k rpm) until its reasonable warm and you'll be fine. Just enjoy the car, and don't get unreasonable about it.
To All, yes I get it, drive the car

It only has 2200 miles in 13 months, the first half was done in the first weeks for the break in service

It has sat for much of 2019
I will not baby it as much anymore

As I'm bored out of my mind (already cabin fever) I'm planning on some fun drives to Maine for beach day trips picnics with my son and wife (50 degrees here means beach day)

I let my son and nephew drive in the beach parking lot on days like this, it's massive and EMPTY, it's their treat for being good kids
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50
      03-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #24
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The M2 Competition is a very special car. There is a “X factor” to this car many performance cars costing twice as much doesn’t come close to having. The right combination of performance, balance, technology and timing seldom comes together so perfectly in the birth of the M2C.

I have owned a lot of very nice performance cars over the years mainly 911’s, a Ferrari, American muscle, etc.. In today’s automotive climate, the M2C is a stand out. It will be (and is) a modern M car legend. It’s a rockstar.
Appreciate 2
Sarg33554.50
MMMBRAP975.50
      03-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #25
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Good post! I agree and honestly had a few thoughts like that of my own.

Part of it was also cost vs practicality. I went back over in my head maybe i should have leased a WRX instead, or maybe gone with a GTI or Golf R. All three cars are a lot cheaper than the M2C, by anywhere between 20k - 40k. Even with a Golf R my monthly payments would be significantly cheaper and i'd have more practicality, only 100 less hp and still the fun of a MT.

And then i get back into the M2C, start the car up, and even keeping the revs below 5000 RPM (still pre break-in service) it just speaks to me. It takes all the parts that i loved about my previous cars and throws it into one package.

Its fun and playful like my old BRZ, it has gobs of power but puts it down in such a fun way, it handles like its a car with 1000 less lbs, but it still has the room and comfort that i was looking for in a daily driver.

For me this is the perfect Daily. I still have my S2000 and love that car to death, but that car is strictly for the bright summer days for the top down or for the track. This car will be the one that i step into everyday. Its one of the best feelings in the world being able to enjoy the drive no matter which car i choose.
Appreciate 2
Sarg33554.50
ewohar21.50
      03-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #26
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
The 2020 M2C is my first BMW I have owned. I some times struggle with the thought of did I really need the M2Cs capabilities. I mean this is my daily driver. This car is tiny and it honestly drives like a track purpose car, at least IMO. I am in my mid-40s, was this a mid-life-crisis purchase?

I think, maybe I should have went with the M340ix. It has about the same price, acceleration and comes with AWD for winter, 4 doors, adaptive suspension and more room. Plus from what I understand the B58 motor does not have the crank hub issue as it is a solid crank. So, for me I would have already tuned it even under warranty...

Then I drive my M2C and I cannot wipe the frigin smile off my face! Doesn't matter if it is sunny out or raining cats and dogs, this car is fun. Maybe even more fun in the rain as it is so easy to play around with a simple blip of the throttle while in MDM. The acceleration, which is not slow by any means, is not what impresses me with this car. What impresses me is how tight and precise this car is. The suspension, the cornering, the smooth and controlled tail slides. This car is by far the most confident inspiring and probably the best handling car I have ever owned/driven.

I went out this morning in the pouring rain to grab my weekly groceries. I had an awesome power slide getting onto the on ramp for the highway and anything over 4K RPMs was nothing but tire spin in 1-3rd. When I arrived at the store I almost drove past it as I didn't want to stop playing around.

So, can the M340ix put that same smile on my face? Maybe, but I may never find out because as long as I can keep slamming the 6 MT gears on my M2C I have no reason to even go test drive a M340ix. Though it is still on my short list for my next car.

Sorry to start a whole thread on my random thoughts, but didn't want to jack anyone else's.

Peace
I'd say this is exactly the opinion/feedback I'd expect from someone who comes from background of owning powerful/sports cars, but first experience in a BMW (specifically an M car).

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      03-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #27
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

I was looking at getting a new S2000 back in the day, but then I found out we were going from a 2 person family to a 3 person family...so the 2 seater just wouldn't work out. lol

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #28
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at getting a new S2000 back in the day, but then I found out we were going from a 2 person family to a 3 person family...so the 2 seater just wouldn't work out. lol
Yeah, its a big reason i didnt get the Supra instead of the M2C. Couldnt justify having two, 2-seater cars. As much as i think i would enjoy the Supra, (also no crank hub issue), its just barely not practical enough for me. If i didnt own the S2000, then the Supra would be the fun weekend car with my old WRX as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 02:00 AM   #29
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You shouldn't warm up before driving. The manual says start the car and drive off so you can warm up all components at the same time, not just the engine.
You know I used to have a friend that started his car from cold and then took off flooring it. I asked him what on earth he was doing.

It turns out the manual said do not leave the car idling, drive off as quickly as possible to prevent damage.

Clearly quickly meant soon. To me anyway. But not to him.

It was so long ago that I can't even remember what sort of car it was. May have even been an e30.
Appreciate 1
FreeDarko217.00
      03-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #30
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
You shouldn't warm up before driving. The manual says start the car and drive off so you can warm up all components at the same time, not just the engine.
You know I used to have a friend that started his car from cold and then took off flooring it. I asked him what on earth he was doing.

It turns out the manual said do not leave the car idling, drive off as quickly as possible to prevent damage.

Clearly quickly meant soon. To me anyway. But not to him.

It was so long ago that I can't even remember what sort of car it was. May have even been an e30.
Yeah drive away immediately instead of letting it idle doesn't mean drive it hard!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #31
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's all about perception.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #32
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
I'm constantly having a change of heart on this car, I love it don't get me wrong but sometimes it's a pain.

Plan is to keep it forever, bought with my teen son euro delivery, when he's older it's his

It has a lot to do of the area I'm in (congestion) constantly in 1st, 2nd then STOP, if it's not early in the morning or really late at night I feel driving her is a waste (2200 miles) in 13 months and yes I have a winter wheel set on

Because it's special to me I'm more careful than most, I want it kept well, not fun constantly keeping an eye out for potholes, traffic and weather, if it was a lease I would drive it without any stress

Never had a car I warm up 10 minutes before driving or only hand wash, I've had plenty of nice cars/trucks before

Wife laughs at me, again we're waiting for optimal oil temp before hitting Storrow Drive ?!? it's a 40 mph road lol

Edit: my defense, Storrow Drive in Boston is like FDR drive in NYC
Quote:
The main reason the manual says to drive off immediately is to reduce fuel consumption

I let my car idle for about a minute before driving off after a cold start to let the engine oil warm up and circulate a bit

Also gives me time to do a little "preflight" such as make sure my belt is buckled, things are properly stashed, prepare my phone, tunes, nav settings, etc.

10 minutes is generally way too long unless ambient temps are extremely low

If they are then a 5-10 minute warm up makes more sense
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #33
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
The 2020 M2C is my first BMW I have owned. I some times struggle with the thought of did I really need the M2Cs capabilities. I mean this is my daily driver. This car is tiny and it honestly drives like a track purpose car, at least IMO. I am in my mid-40s, was this a mid-life-crisis purchase?

I think, maybe I should have went with the M340ix. It has about the same price, acceleration and comes with AWD for winter, 4 doors, adaptive suspension and more room. Plus from what I understand the B58 motor does not have the crank hub issue as it is a solid crank. So, for me I would have already tuned it even under warranty...

Then I drive my M2C and I cannot wipe the frigin smile off my face! Doesn't matter if it is sunny out or raining cats and dogs, this car is fun. Maybe even more fun in the rain as it is so easy to play around with a simple blip of the throttle while in MDM. The acceleration, which is not slow by any means, is not what impresses me with this car. What impresses me is how tight and precise this car is. The suspension, the cornering, the smooth and controlled tail slides. This car is by far the most confident inspiring and probably the best handling car I have ever owned/driven.

I went out this morning in the pouring rain to grab my weekly groceries. I had an awesome power slide getting onto the on ramp for the highway and anything over 4K RPMs was nothing but tire spin in 1-3rd. When I arrived at the store I almost drove past it as I didn't want to stop playing around.

So, can the M340ix put that same smile on my face? Maybe, but I may never find out because as long as I can keep slamming the 6 MT gears on my M2C I have no reason to even go test drive a M340ix. Though it is still on my short list for my next car.

Sorry to start a whole thread on my random thoughts, but didn't want to jack anyone else's.

Peace
I've been driving normie cars (Accord), then luxury cars (MB), then started to realize that I got bored as hell with them as I got older (late 30's almost 40 now).

I learned how to drive manual in 2017 just so I can expand my car enthusiast skills, and bought a 1995 E34 540i 6MT so I can get better at driving manual. But that thing was ancient, weighed the same as a bank vault, and it being a classic BMW......it never worked right. One day the sunroof would open, but then next day it won't. One week the rear passenger window would roll down......but then wouldn't roll down....and then came all the Christmas lights on the dash telling me "Low Coolant", "CEL", etc.

But none of that mattered because that car could take a turn nearby my house that I know in any other car could only be done at 20MPH......at 50MPH. FUN AS HELL.

After that I was hooked and had to get an M2C, lol. I wanted that same drive feeling, but in a new car with a warranty that didn't feel like it weighed like a ton of bricks, and fell apart every 5 seconds.
Appreciate 2
FreeDarko217.00
Sarg33554.50
      03-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #34
Aversion
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '16 Taco

This thread has been a good read. I’ve been lurking on this site and following the M2 for a few years now (this is my first post!). Some of the posts here echo what I have going on in my head. I currently drive a 2016 STi (pic attached) which I actually enjoy as a daily driver. It’s low mileage and paid off so I have to justify Taking on a new car payment to myself. I’ve been looking at low mileage M2Cs but I would really just be buying it because I love the way it looks and I would like to try RWD as a platform this time around. This would be my first BMW and I’m not sure what I would be in for. But from what I read here the M2 seems pretty solid.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
Sarg33554.50
      03-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #35
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The M2 Competition is a very special car. There is a “X factor” to this car many performance cars costing twice as much doesn’t come close to having. The right combination of performance, balance, technology and timing seldom comes together so perfectly in the birth of the M2C.

I have owned a lot of very nice performance cars over the years mainly 911’s, a Ferrari, American muscle, etc.. In today’s automotive climate, the M2C is a stand out. It will be (and is) a modern M car legend. It’s a rockstar.
When I sold my 1995 E34 540i 6MT in Sept 2017, I didn't have a car until I impulsed ordered my M2C in February 2019, with delivery in August 2019.

It took me that long to figure out what I wanted to get into next.

I literally took public transportation for almost 2 years because I couldn't decide lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Yeah, its a big reason i didnt get the Supra instead of the M2C. Couldnt justify having two, 2-seater cars. As much as i think i would enjoy the Supra, (also no crank hub issue), its just barely not practical enough for me. If i didnt own the S2000, then the Supra would be the fun weekend car with my old WRX as a daily.
I almost got an ND2 MX-5 Club with the BBS package before deciding on the M2C.

I test drove it so many times but just didn't pull the trigger; it just felt too small, and in the back of my mind I knew I couldn't live with that, even though it would have been the weekend toy.

The M2C is just the perfect size for me.

That said, I still love the ND's MT. One of the best manuals I've ever experienced so far.

Last edited by MMMBRAP; 03-18-2020 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-19-2020, 01:36 AM   #36
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aversion View Post
This thread has been a good read. I’ve been lurking on this site and following the M2 for a few years now (this is my first post!). Some of the posts here echo what I have going on in my head. I currently drive a 2016 STi (pic attached) which I actually enjoy as a daily driver. It’s low mileage and paid off so I have to justify Taking on a new car payment to myself. I’ve been looking at low mileage M2Cs but I would really just be buying it because I love the way it looks and I would like to try RWD as a platform this time around. This would be my first BMW and I’m not sure what I would be in for. But from what I read here the M2 seems pretty solid.
If you have the ability to i say do it! Its such a fantastic car. However you might find yourself daily driving the M2 over the STI as it will get better gas mileage haha.

As someone that has gone through 6 cars in the past 3 years i can say this has been the second best car purchase (my S2000 is the first) ive ever made. Its got plenty of space, its fast, it is as fun if not more so than my old BRZ and it looks absolutley fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 05:24 AM   #37
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have not yet, I would suggest you go and test drive the M2C if you can. Just know that once you drive it, you will want to own one! The M2C is like others have said, a true driver's car, it has a soul. It begs you to push the envelope, but has your back if you step over the line. Every time I drive it, whether commuting to work, running errands or for fun I enjoy it and it puts a smile on my face.

Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #38
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
This thread has been a good read. I've been lurking on this site and following the M2 for a few years now (this is my first post!). Some of the posts here echo what I have going on in my head. I currently drive a 2016 STi (pic attached) which I actually enjoy as a daily driver. It's low mileage and paid off so I have to justify Taking on a new car payment to myself. I've been looking at low mileage M2Cs but I would really just be buying it because I love the way it looks and I would like to try RWD as a platform this time around. This would be my first BMW and I'm not sure what I would be in for. But from what I read here the M2 seems pretty solid.
You'll be shocked at the difference. My advice is not to drive the M2C unless you are comfortable with the fact that you will need to purchase it. Not want. Need.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #39
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Obviously this board is biased, but you cant go wrong with an M2 if you love to drive. Just remember, you will eventually get yourself in trouble with this car. This car begs to be pushed and driven hard, and not babied. I didnt even test drive this car before purchase. I just knew I wanted it and only took it for a gentle test drive after I put my deposit on it over the phone. Needless to say that drive was not enjoyable (cold car, not revving it too high, local road driving, etc.). To me this car is perfect!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #40
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
If it's in the budget I recommend making the upgrade. I went from this...

To this...

When I had the STi I enjoyed it but ever since getting rid of it I haven't looked back. I even had planned to use it as my DD when the M2C arrived but that lasted 2 months. My annoyances with the car just piled up and I quickly traded it in. No regrets at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #41
Aversion
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '16 Taco

I appreciate the feedback guys. It's helpful. I've only been able to sit in a 2017 M2. Never had a chance to drive one just yet. I'm sure if I do it will be hard not to want to buy one.

Economatic, thanks for sharing the pics. Your STi looked good. But, that M2 is just beautiful! I love the white with a lip on it!
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      03-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #42
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Took her out for some therapy this morning and nothing but smiles and wishing I drove further. Honestly always fearful of getting a ticket as I seem to drive way over the speed limit in this car. It is just so confident and easy to drive fast.

You know what I have changed my mind...Anyone on the fence about owning a M2C, please do not buy one!!! They will corrupt your well being and cause increased insurance rates. Run away and save yourselves from increased happiness and a love of your daily commutes to work.

Appreciate 2
BigKutta3901.00
hlm2c289.50
      03-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #43
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Took her out for some therapy this morning and nothing but smiles and wishing I drove further. Honestly always fearful of getting a ticket as I seem to drive way over the speed limit in this car. It is just so confident and easy to drive fast.

You know what I have changed my mind...Anyone on the fence about owning a M2C, please do not buy one!!! They will corrupt your well being and cause increased insurance rates. Run away and save yourselves from increased happiness and a love of your daily commutes to work.
I was expecting an insurance bump when I went from my 340i to my M2C. I wasn't wrong, it went up $1 a month. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #44
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I was expecting an insurance bump when I went from my 340i to my M2C. I wasn't wrong, it went up $1 a month. :-)
I have a clean record and my insurance literally doubled when I went from my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited ($48K MSRP new) to my M2C ($62K MSPR new). I was like WTF???

Only thing I could think of was the Wrangler parts are cheap and everywhere compared to the M car. The M car is also geared towards misbehaving on the street where the Jeep is off-road.

Either way IIWII.

Appreciate 1