BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My random M2C thoughts...

03-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

My random M2C thoughts...

The 2020 M2C is my first BMW I have owned. I some times struggle with the thought of did I really need the M2Cs capabilities. I mean this is my daily driver. This car is tiny and it honestly drives like a track purpose car, at least IMO. I am in my mid-40s, was this a mid-life-crisis purchase?

I think, maybe I should have went with the M340ix. It has about the same price, acceleration and comes with AWD for winter, 4 doors, adaptive suspension and more room. Plus from what I understand the B58 motor does not have the crank hub issue as it is a solid crank. So, for me I would have already tuned it even under warranty...

Then I drive my M2C and I cannot wipe the frigin smile off my face! Doesn't matter if it is sunny out or raining cats and dogs, this car is fun. Maybe even more fun in the rain as it is so easy to play around with a simple blip of the throttle while in MDM. The acceleration, which is not slow by any means, is not what impresses me with this car. What impresses me is how tight and precise this car is. The suspension, the cornering, the smooth and controlled tail slides. This car is by far the most confident inspiring and probably the best handling car I have ever owned/driven.

I went out this morning in the pouring rain to grab my weekly groceries. I had an awesome power slide getting onto the on ramp for the highway and anything over 4K RPMs was nothing but tire spin in 1-3rd. When I arrived at the store I almost drove past it as I didn't want to stop playing around.

So, can the M340ix put that same smile on my face? Maybe, but I may never find out because as long as I can keep slamming the 6 MT gears on my M2C I have no reason to even go test drive a M340ix. Though it is still on my short list for my next car.

Sorry to start a whole thread on my random thoughts, but didn't want to jack anyone else's.

Peace
Appreciate 9
ChrisK4449.00
FrozenGT1109.00
ROASTM162.50
MMMBRAP975.50
COChris887.50
F80_Katz760.00
      03-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
The 2020 M2C is my first BMW I have owned. I some times struggle with the thought of did I really need the M2Cs capabilities. I mean this is my daily driver. This car is tiny and it honestly drives like a track purpose car, at least IMO. I am in my mid-40s, was this a mid-life-crisis purchase?

I think, maybe I should have went with the M340ix. It has about the same price, acceleration and comes with AWD for winter, 4 doors, adaptive suspension and more room. Plus from what I understand the B58 motor does not have the crank hub issue as it is a solid crank. So, for me I would have already tuned it even under warranty...

Then I drive my M2C and I cannot wipe the frigin smile off my face! Doesn't matter if it is sunny out or raining cats and dogs, this car is fun. Maybe even more fun in the rain as it is so easy to play around with a simple blip of the throttle while in MDM. The acceleration, which is not slow by any means, is not what impresses me with this car. What impresses me is how tight and precise this car is. The suspension, the cornering, the smooth and controlled tail slides. This car is by far the most confident inspiring and probably the best handling car I have ever owned/driven.

I went out this morning in the pouring rain to grab my weekly groceries. I had an awesome power slide getting onto the on ramp for the highway and anything over 4K RPMs was nothing but tire spin in 1-3rd. When I arrived at the store I almost drove past it as I didn't want to stop playing around.

So, can the M340ix put that same smile on my face? Maybe, but I may never find out because as long as I can keep slamming the 6 MT gears on my M2C I have no reason to even go test drive a M340ix. Though it is still on my short list for my next car.

Sorry to start a whole thread on my random thoughts, but didn't want to jack anyone else's.

Peace
There's no 340ix that can give you the smile that an M car can give you. and there is no 42 speed ZF slushbox that can give you the satisfaction of a sweet 6 speed manual.

enjoy your car! hopefully for many years!!! it's the end of an era.
      03-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I'm in the same age bracket as you OP, and in my circles an M2 would be an odd choice, with most buying bigger and more luxurious and sportier cars. I just loved the M2 the day I saw one, and for the reasons you outlined, its the perfect car. I cant stop driving this thing. I literally drove 70 miles already today just running errands, and no, i dont live in the middle of nowhere.
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      03-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
There's no 340ix that can give you the smile that an M car can give you. and there is no 42 speed ZF slushbox that can give you the satisfaction of a sweet 6 speed manual.

Also, the resale on the 340ix won't be nearly as good as the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Glad you are happy with your purchase. See if you can find an HPDE near you. I think you'll love the feel of this car at speed and how well sorted it is. Have fun and be safe on the street!
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      03-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post

Also, the resale on the 340ix won't be nearly as good as the M2C.
Eh. Resale is not fun.

I have a car that's never even depreciated; but that's not why I keep it and love it!
      03-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #7
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

The m2c is simply one of the last drivers car available, there is a reason why e46 m3 are up in value, it's a great fun car to drive and the m2c is the same type of car.

Except a porsche... and porsche are so expensive to buy and maintain, they are not the most practical car with not that much space to make it an easy daily driver, you can daily it, you are just limited with space and it's not always easy going.... at least for me, had a 996 turbo and let her in the garage too often for my taste lacking of cargo space to go to Costco or playing golf etc.

what can you buy today that will give you driving feelings, i mean having real fun driving slow or fast, let you press the clutch and shift gears when you want to. A car with massive brakes and good suspension.

There are plenty of fast car, i test drive an audi rs5 2018, it's a very fast car, but to me it's a gt car with lots of power, that's it, you simply don't get any feelings like many other fast car.

I don't know where I'm going with all that but simply enjoy your car, car like this are very rare these days. I mean in a affordable price range

an m340i is maybe a better awd all season car but it's automatic, have runflat, it's bigger and will not make you smile like your m2c.
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
Sarg33554.50
      03-15-2020, 12:22 AM   #8
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

OP, congratulations!!
I went from an F80 m3 to the M2 competition. I actually considered the m340 as well but I couldn't bring myself to go awd or more importantly away from true M car as my previous vehicle was an E92 m3.

Nway past 4 months, I enjoyed all aspects of the m2 but did feel something was missing. A bit of rawness you could say.

If you have the budget splurge on AA midpipe and exhaust. The car just breathes so much easier now and sounds as well as the S55 possibly could.
Appreciate 2
Sarg33554.50
ewohar21.50
      03-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

The M340 has a great engine, but it's to much of a compromise and felt way to soft and quiet. Test drove the M2C, just starting up the car and I was sold...
      03-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Could not have said it better, just an absolute hooligan of a car that somehow wants to work with you every step of the way as you toss it around. Sometimes exceptionally fun cars are naughty in character, and sometimes they’re nice. The M2c manages both in equal measures.
Appreciate 2
Sarg33554.50
      03-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Think this is the most bipolar post I've ever read. Were you drunk?

BTW, I'm mid 50's and the M2C isn't tiny, it's perfect
Appreciate 3
Sarg33554.50
Poochie9099.00
hAxel91.00
      03-15-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Think this is the most bipolar post I've ever read. Were you drunk?

BTW, I'm mid 50's and the M2C isn't tiny, it's perfect
Wouldn't be the first time I was called bipolar or drunk for that matter. lol

And yes, IMO it is a tiny car compared to the average car on the road today. I never said it wasn't a good thing.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #13
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

It's not a small car.... it's just not as big as modern car

Read somewhere that the m2c is 5 inch longer than a e30 and 6 inches shorter than a f80 m3

So from e30 to f80, car get 11 inches longer.... the m2c just bring us back in time a little
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I'm constantly having a change of heart on this car, I love it don't get me wrong but sometimes it's a pain.

Plan is to keep it forever, bought with my teen son euro delivery, when he's older it's his

It has a lot to do of the area I'm in (congestion) constantly in 1st, 2nd then STOP, if it's not early in the morning or really late at night I feel driving her is a waste (2200 miles) in 13 months and yes I have a winter wheel set on

Because it's special to me I'm more careful than most, I want it kept well, not fun constantly keeping an eye out for potholes, traffic and weather, if it was a lease I would drive it without any stress

Never had a car I warm up 10 minutes before driving or only hand wash, I've had plenty of nice cars/trucks before

Wife laughs at me, again we're waiting for optimal oil temp before hitting Storrow Drive ?!? it's a 40 mph road lol

Edit: my defense, Storrow Drive in Boston is like FDR drive in NYC
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #15
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
I'm constantly having a change of heart on this car, I love it don't get me wrong but sometimes it's a pain.

Plan is to keep it forever, bought with my teen son euro delivery, when he's older it's his

It has a lot to do of the area I'm in (congestion) constantly in 1st, 2nd then STOP, if it's not early in the morning or really late at night I feel driving her is a waste (2200 miles) in 13 months and yes I have a winter wheel set on

Because it's special to me I'm more careful than most, I want it kept well, not fun constantly keeping an eye out for potholes, traffic and weather, if it was a lease I would drive it without any stress

Never had a car I warm up 10 minutes before driving or only hand wash, I've had plenty of nice cars/trucks before

Wife laughs at me, again we're waiting for optimal oil temp before hitting Storrow Drive ?!? it's a 40 mph road lol

Get you butt up to this Friday School:

https://www.boston-bmwcca.org/event/...or-speedway-2/

It will open your eyes as to why you will never regret buying your M2...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      03-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #16
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

I read all these awesome stories about the M2C and I just want to get mine in the US before Corona keeps me and my new baby apart!
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2020, 01:45 AM   #17
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:

You let the car idle for 10 min??
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:18 AM   #18
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:

Yes, I let it idle for a while, 5 to 10 min, as soon as oil reaches 160F I drive off but only low speeds and under 3k rpm then I wait for 200F for 5k+ RPM, that takes another 10 minutes...

It's been that way before and after break in oil service

Like I said, I never did this to any of my cars before
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 03:28 AM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

You shouldn't warm up before driving. The manual says start the car and drive off so you can warm up all components at the same time, not just the engine.
Appreciate 3
      03-16-2020, 06:49 AM   #20
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

You shouldn't warm up before driving. The manual says start the car and drive off so you can warm up all components at the same time, not just the engine.
This is the optimal way to warm up the engine, gearbox etc all at the same time.

Just keep your speed down, and RPM below 3500 but you should run thru the gears.

However I understand the fear of driving it hard since this is a keeper. I did the same on my F80 M3 till I realized I wasn't having any fun. Leased the M2c and haven't looked back.

I'd say take care of the car but enjoy it. The only thing to really look out for is the SCH but you're under warranty so just enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      03-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #21
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:

Yes, I let it idle for a while, 5 to 10 min, as soon as oil reaches 160F I drive off but only low speeds and under 3k rpm then I wait for 200F for 5k+ RPM, that takes another 10 minutes...

Just a warning I'm not positive, but I've read that the cylinder walls get starved for lubrication if you idle the car at warm up. If I'm not mistaken it's the nature of direct injection.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #22
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Since my first BMW, I have made it a point to never let a cold car idle. As others have said, its important to let all components warm up together. You are over-worried about the M2. This is a well engineered car and you babying is not good for it. Keep the revs low (<4k rpm) until its reasonable warm and you'll be fine. Just enjoy the car, and don't get unreasonable about it.
Appreciate 3
Sarg33554.50
heavyD^23684.00