BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My BMW M2 Competition was stolen - See how (VIDEO)

03-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #133
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Or... just put both sets of keys inside your refrigerator!!

Seriously, this is what the German Polizei tell Germans who live on the Eastern border with Poland and Czech.

Dackel
Because the refrigerator is insulated with a aluminum foil. But the key fob battery will suffer.
Make a box of that cooking aluminum tray and that will do. Refrigerators are for food for God's sake.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #134
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

It is about RFID signal and the thief plays the amplifier "relay" role. That's it.
Any keyless system use wireless, hence can be hacked.

The Comfort Access provides a certain ID for each key (a specific signal code beside the initial function) that is recognized by the car in order to provide a set of settings. From what I know, BMW security system cuts off the signal after a while.
There are cars out there stolen using the same technique and they are not BMW and they do not have Comfort Access.

The new keys seem to have a "sleeping mode' but the time from not using the fob until "sleep" might differ between manufacturers.
I heard about retrofitted keys or newer but you need to check with your dealer if your case.

As a note, make a box of a small aluminum tray if the key fob is close to house exit. Put it in there and you are set. You don't need any fancy pouch. Ideally move the key far from the entrance door or windows. I never get why people leave their home/car keys in a tray by the entrance. Any "trick or treat"/ "delivery guy", or visitor can grab a key. That is plain stupid. How hard is to keep them in a drawer somewhere in the middle of the house?
Actually, Europe is concrete and bricks (hard to transmit), and from that point of view it is easier to steal from a North American house (signal travels easy) than a European one. Just don't keep the keys by the door.
A metal steering wheel lock (club) was also a good deterrent for many thieves. In Europe I always had one.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      03-17-2020, 12:32 AM   #135
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
It is about RFID signal and the thief plays the amplifier "relay" role. That's it.

The Comfort Access provides a certain ID for each key (a specific signal code beside the initial function) that is recognized by the car in order to provide a set of settings. From what I know, BMW security system cuts off the signal after a while.
There are cars out there stolen using the same technique and they are not BMW and they do not have Comfort Access.

The new keys seem to have a "sleeping mode' but the time from not using the fob until "sleep" might differ between manufacturers.
I heard about retrofitted keys or newer but you need to check with your dealer if your case.

As a note, make a box of a small aluminum tray if the key fob is close to house exit. Put it in there and you are set. You don't need any fancy pouch. Ideally move the key far from the entrance door or windows. I never get why people leave their home/car keys in a tray by the entrance. Any "trick or treat"/ "delivery guy", or visitor can grab a key. That is plain stupid. How hard is to keep them in a drawer somewhere in the middle of the house?
Actually, Europe is concrete and bricks (hard to transmit), and from that point of view it is easier to steal from a North American house (signal travels easy) than a European one. Just don't keep the keys by the door.
A metal steering wheel lock (club) was also a good deterrent for many thieves. In Europe I always had one.
The question is, can a sooner timeout being coded in ⁉️
      03-17-2020, 12:43 AM   #136
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:

No, you can VO code out the feature (S322A), which would then completely remove the factory option from the vehicle's logic but you can't customized anything related to Comfort Access because it's all hard-coded to the vehicle's anti-theft security.

Like I mentioned before, I'm more worried about things like the Bubonic plague returning, running out of toilette paper or someone running over one of my cats, than my vehicle actually getting stolen but to each is own..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      03-17-2020, 01:28 AM   #137
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:

No, you can VO code out the feature (S322A), which would then completely remove the factory option from the vehicle's logic but you can't customized anything related to Comfort Access because it's all hard-coded to the vehicle's anti-theft security.

Like I mentioned before, I'm more worried about things like the Bubonic plague returning, running out of toilette paper or someone running over one of my cats, than my vehicle actually getting stolen but to each is own..
Agreed.

I am currently at ground zero.

My wife will be 1st in line @ 7am.
      03-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #138
Phaeton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I recall during purchase that all (US) M2C come with theft tracking.
yes, but you have to enable it in options!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #139
BlueDevil3169
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, G05

I start believing there is some kind of sleeping mode our fobs have for sure.

We just parked with my wife in the residential underground parking (VW). I had my bmw key with me in the the vest. So i approched my car - no reaction. i have easy access with the fob recognition tick on in iDrive when approching. guess what. nothing, mirrors are not unfolding, etc. i manually opened the trunk - worked, but mirrors are still unfolded.

I approached the driver's door, touched the door handle - car opened, mirrors unfolded.

I started to leave - at the distance of some 10-15 feet still no reaction, car doesn't get closed. i didnt have time to play, so I closed using the fob.

but now after reaading this thead, I will double check for sure.

So it clear that after some time the fob goes into deep sleep (in my case i did not use car for 1 week). When using manual touching/opening, the fob is recognized, but if the key fob was not used for a while like in my case (plus it was not shaken in the pants pocket, etc.), it goes into sleep. will heck it next time.

Gven the example above i can conclude that the sleeping mode with easy access doesn't help agaist the theft as the fob in deep sleep mode still gets recognized by the car. which means that the suitcase amplifier can do the job well if the key is exposed. so, the only solution could be the foil/fridge box

To take it further, imagine you parked at the restaurant but without direct view of your car. but still close enough for this theft technique to work. it's still a problem then. what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #140
ErikssonM14
Canada
Rep

"Car recovery would not have been possible were it not for the sports exhaust that woke me and my neighbors and disturbance GPS"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #141
MrMurkle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I did, Western Europe surpassed the US in auto theft rate.

Also, in the US, it's mostly used, lower-tier vehicles are stolen for joyriding or body parts.

In Europe, thieves go after high-end luxury vehicles like BMW, Range Rovers, Mercedes to re-tag and export for sale.

I know I'm going to sound like an asshole for saying this but I'm impress they were able to circumvent the factory security system so efficiently. They're POS and deserve to be in a cage but I can't help but admire the fluidity of their skills.

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/bl...theft-2019-11/

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/region_...150&title=2018

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/...t-spots-500432
No per capita usa are higher then Europe fact. Where did you get the statistics about western europe. Where did you also get the statistics that USA it's mainly beater and western Europe it's mainly high end. Me think ye are talking rubbish
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #142
MrMurkle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hish View Post
Please find the actual WW car theft rates data. It seems that some of you might be seriously surprised taking into consideration some comments about perceived security.

https://knoema.com/atlas/ranks/Private-car-theft-rate
It's obvious that USA is going to have more cars stolen then Europe. Just funny that guys on here make up that oh it's only low end cars, high end cars are stolen more in Europe. They say silly stuff like this with no research, no actual evidence just a perceived insight lol
Appreciate 0