akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
One of the first things you'll be taught in an advanced driving course is that there is no such thing as a blind spot. It is a concept dreamt up by people that use their mirrors to check if their own car is still there. It usually is. If not, you'd likely notice.
This is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
If you set your mirrors correctly there's no blind spot. Most set their mirrors incorrectly where they can see their own car rather than others cars.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #46
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
One of the first things you'll be taught in an advanced driving course is that there is no such thing as a blind spot. It is a concept dreamt up by people that use their mirrors to check if their own car is still there. It usually is. If not, you'd likely notice.
If you set your mirrors correctly there's no blind spot. Most set their mirrors incorrectly where they can see their own car rather than others cars.

There is not such thing as "no blind spot" in a moving vehicle, as the Blind Spot/Field of View is constantly changing, when a vehicle is in motion, encountering various obstacles, at different angles.

Depending on the size and make up of a vehicle, one car's blind spot might be more severe than another but it's naive to assume they don't exist or a properly adjusted mirror would completely eliminate it and that's the kind of overconfidence that can lead to accidents.
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 02-21-2020 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #47
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is not such thing as "no blind spot" in a moving vehicle, as the Blind Spot/Field of View is constantly changing, when a vehicle is in motion, encountering various obstacles, at different angles.

Depending on the size and make up of a vehicle, one car's blind spot might be more severe than another but it's naive to assume they don't exist or a properly adjusted mirror would completely eliminate it and that's the kind of overconfidence that can lead to accidents.
It's science bro. There is no place a vehicle can be where I can't see them in my mirror, unless they are in front of me in which case I can see them out the windshield.
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
Davil6333.50
      02-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #48
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Quote:
+1

If you set your mirrors properly, there is no blind spot.
I stand corrected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #49
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's science bro. There is no place a vehicle can be where I can't see them in my mirror, unless they are in front of me in which case I can see them out the windshield.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one..

There are instances where other vehicles are out of my field of vision, depending on my seat angle, height or mirror but even if I shift positions to eliminate one, it just creates another blind spot. Logically, there is no way around this..

I use situational awareness, the mirrors and at times, my rear view camera/ PDC sensors are coded to remain on, at all speeds, if i desire.

Those tools, for the most part, helps reduce potential blind spots but I'm still always hypervigilant when switching lanes, especially towards the right.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #50
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Back to church with you too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #51
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Quote:
When I'm switching lanes at 100mph+, I don't have to look; I know there is no one on either side of me
I know you're kidding, but watch out for motorcycles. They travel at a fast clip too. But I've been guilty of feeling all alone while cooking up a fast pace then bust a lane change for whatever and then think; oops, that could have been real bad.

When I rode on the street and was passing a fast moving car on a highway/freeway, I was keenly aware the driver probably think they're alone and I would stay as far over as possible when going by them. It really is the riders responsibility when passing, but not all of them think that way and I don't want any blood on my hands.
Oh, I'm always well-aware of my surrounds; motorcycles or quick moving vehicle usually emits a reasonable loud sound that would catch my attention, so there is also that..

Not to dampen the mood but I've wittiness a person die before my eyes, in a car accident.

It's a very humbling experience to see a human get ejected from a vehicle, twitch on the pavement for a moment, as their soul leaves their body. Then the paramedics show up a few minutes later and place a white sheet over their corpse - then they go smoke a cigarette and shoot the breeze..

I might off come as an asshole, in a attempt at humor but I'm solemn when need be..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #52
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

“It is a concept dreamt up by people that use their mirrors to check if their own car is still there. It usually is. If not, you'd likely notice.”

This satire seems to suggest, correctly, that if you can see your own car in your side mirrors, your mirrors aren’t adjusted properly.

Amazingly, this went right over some posters heads.

Or through.
Appreciate 3
Davil6333.50
Mavus2014.50
      02-22-2020, 12:29 AM   #53
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

I was actually so relieved the m2 doesn't have BSM. I have it on my daily and I cannot stand it. It's wayyy too conservative and does nothing but blink all the damn time when I change lanes. If you can feel your car and especially one this small there's a problem.
      02-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #54
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Re collision warning, I confirmed on the M2C you can set the warning to early, medium, or late.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:20 AM   #55
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Never heard of them.
I stopped right there.
Well. I'm not over 70 and not from the US. So why would I have heard of them?

Honestly. The blind spot believers are up there with flat earthers, anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers. All four are easily answered with science.

I gave you a link that explains it. I know you are an old timer but a link is something you can click on and it takes you to a web page. You can read this and learn stuff. It's well worth it and may even prevent you from crashing into someone when you are looking backwards instead of where you are actually going.

This has been a public service announcement.
Appreciate 3
akkando5860.00
natmad667.00
      02-23-2020, 02:21 AM   #56
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
“It is a concept dreamt up by people that use their mirrors to check if their own car is still there. It usually is. If not, you'd likely notice.”

This satire seems to suggest, correctly, that if you can see your own car in your side mirrors, your mirrors aren’t adjusted properly.

Amazingly, this went right over some posters heads.

Or through.
Yep. Mind blowing isn't it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #57
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

I will say, it is only very recently that I've learned how to set my side mirrors properly. Honestly, THIS forum has taught me so much about basic driving that I never knew before. I am not too proud to admit that for going on nearly 29 years, I had the following basics completely F'ed up: a) Seat position, b) steering wheel position and height, and c) side mirrors.

With regard to side mirrors, I did what I think 90+ percent of the driving population does: I positioned them to show me the sides of my own car!!! And driving the M2C, it was always unnerving to me to be constantly looking over my shoulders at "the blindspot" to change lanes.

Thankfully members on this forum have helpfully shared videos and articles, etc., etc., and I finally learned to position them properly. Chris Harris videos on seating and steering wheel position have been invaluable. And with the side mirrors positioned properly, with the M2C's short wheel base, visibility and awareness of other lanes and drivers is amazing.

The only thing I'm still working on now is drifting. As clear as the explanations are in this Chris Harris video, I still don't seem to be able to pull off the same tire shredding drifts as Mr. Harris! I don't get it!

Appreciate 2
Davil6333.50
bri10425748.00
      02-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #58
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The field of view cannnot change. It is not a variable for a specified vehicle. It is based on the vehicle design.

The only way you can adjust the field of view is by changing a sitting position. My assumption is the driver is in an optimal sitting position.

Each mirror has a specified field of view that cannot change. We adjust mirrors and seating position to maximaze the field of view.

What is changing when driving are conditions on the road and landscape. This is the information received by looking through windows and at mirrors.

I hope nobody relies on BSM.

If you are positioned correctly in your seat with properly adjusted mirrors, and check both mirrors AND look over your shoulder before initiating/signaling a turn you will complete the visual check.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #59
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The field of view cannnot change. It is not a variable for a specified vehicle. It is based on the vehicle design.

Each mirror has a specified field of view that cannot change. We adjust mirrors and seating position to maximaze the field of view.

What is changing when driving are conditions on the road and landscape. This is the information received by looking through windows and mirrors.

If you are positioned correctly in your seat with properly adjusted mirrors, and check both mirrors AND look over your shoulder before initiating/signaling a turn you will complete the visual check.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong then but there are instances where if I'm switching unto a lane, at the same time as someone else from an outer lane and almost collided with them because they where out of my field of view, due to the changing course and mirror angle :

Or not related to the mirrors, the A-pillar can be a huge blockage, when making a turn..

I will agree that properly adjusted mirrors works very well, almost eliminating most blind spots but to say all, is a stretch, in my humble opinion.

Knock on wood, I was never involved in a related accident because most of all, I use situation awareness, at all times and it has never fail me, in all aspects of my life.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #60
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Clearly there are two camps here...

Group 1: setup mirrors correctly and you will have "no" blind spots.

Group 2: love the BSM feature.

Both groups can coexist peacefully and both are correct to a degree. I for one I'm a big fan of BSM because it gives me another layer of security, I really appreciate that. Maybe I could have setup my mirrors "better", but I also like the security nanny 😀.

In fact, I just pulled out of a incredible deal because I want to take the gamble and see what "features" or special editions will be announced for MY21 (other than the M2CS).

So let's get BSM for MY21! (Wishful thinking &#128527
      02-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #61
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What is changing when driving are conditions on the road and landscape. This is the information received by looking through windows and mirrors.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then but there are instances where if I'm switching unto a lane, at the same time as someone else from an outer lane and almost collided with them because they where out of my field of view, due to the changing course and mirror angle :

Or not related to the mirrors, the A-pillar can be a huge blockage, when making a turn..

I will agree that properly adjusted mirrors works very well, almost eliminating most blind spots but to say all, is a stretch, in my humble opinion.

Knock on wood, I was never involved in a related accident because most of all, I use situation awareness, at all times and it has never fail me, in all aspects of my life.
That scenario of simultaneous turn initiation happens often but the driver that is behind should allow the driver in front to complete the maneuver and assume that the driver in front may not be able to see what is exactly going on behind them as his vehicle changes position on the road and rechecks mirrors to get current information. Unfortunatelly, many drivers decide to accelarate and block the driver in front to complete the maneuver putting both in danger. Without specific details it is hard to completely analyze the situation.

Speaking of A pillar that is a known blind spot but it is very small and impacts driving in cities with large vehicles that can block a view of a pedestrian crossing the street as an exmple.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #62
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You lot are just about worthless to even talk to.

Go sit in a Miata with the top up, and adjust your seat and mirrors to any position you like, and THEN tell me there is no such thing as a blind spot.

Until then, shut your idiot philosophical pie-holes, you're only making yourselves look like fools.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #63
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
You lot are just about worthless to even talk to.

Go sit in a Miata with the top up, and adjust your seat and mirrors to any position you like, and THEN tell me there is no such thing as a blind spot.

Until then, shut your idiot philosophical pie-holes, you're only making yourselves look like fools.
That is so true! I actually had a Miata on order before I jumped ship and decided on a M2C. So thankful BSM was an option or for MY20, standard equipment. Miata is so low and small it actually saved me during a test drive when I was merging on the highway.

I believe BSM should be standard for new cars similar to ABS, seatbelts, airbags and traction control! Or at least make it an option available to all new cars. I do believe most new cars now do offer this feature.
      02-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #64
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep

“Until then, shut your idiot philosophical pie-holes, you're only making yourselves look like fools.”

What a jerk...
Appreciate 3
JCZ51482.50
bri10425748.00
Mavus2014.50
      02-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #65
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Blind Spot Monitor is now a standard feature in the M235i Grand Coupe, so there is that..

The only reason it wasn't offered on the F-Generation 2 Series was due to cost-cutting.

Now that the cost of the technology has amortized amongst other higher-tier models, it has trickle down into the entry-level 2 Series..

I still could live without it but if it's offered on my next vehicle, like why not
U lost me at grand coupe

Last edited by Killed by Death; 02-24-2020 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #66
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1582502244

I’m confident that if I were driving a Miata with the top up, the mirrors adjusted correctly, I could see all the cars around the Miata as depicted in the picture.

I’ve driven other convertibles with poor visibility with the top up, and I could spot all traffic around the convertible, in adjacent lanes, by looking in the correctly adjusted mirrors. If the surrounding cars are two lanes over, it’s more difficult.

If you only turn your head to look back, most cars have blind spots.

CORRECTLY ADJUSTED MIRRORS ALLOW SURROUNDING CARS TO BE SEEN IN THE MIRRORS, WHILE THEY MAY BE HIDDEN BY BLIND SPOTS, IF ALL YOU DO IS TURN YOUR HEAD TO LOOK BACK.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Davil6333.50