BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > ED was a mistake!

11-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #23
Zugspitze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Zugspitze - Thank you for suggesting to contact Sabrina! Although, she no longer works there, I was able to find an alternate email (BMWEuropeanDelivery@bmwna.com).

Now, this is awfully coincidental, but a day after I contacted them, I received a text from my local service department saying that they received an alert that my car requires the 1200 mile service. So, I speculated that someone at the VPC finally turned on my car and it potentially has the capability to alert the dealership of the service. Then another day later (today), I get an email saying that my car has been released to trucking and is en route to the dealership.

It sure does feel like that when BMWEuropeanDelivery contacted the VPC to get my car moving along. I wish I knew about contacting them sooner! This is completely my fault though, as I will admit that I did NOT read my packet in detail and I actually threw it away in Europe.

Anyway, thanks again Zugspitze/chmura!

I hope my scenario can help other members with taking re-delivery of their cars sooner!

Edit: Of course today is the first day it's snowing too...salt and chemicals everywhere! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Glad to hear that. My car was delayed at the VPC for a software update (instrument cluster).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #24
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Zugspitze - Thank you for suggesting to contact Sabrina! Although, she no longer works there, I was able to find an alternate email (BMWEuropeanDelivery@bmwna.com).
It sure does feel like that when BMWEuropeanDelivery contacted the VPC to get my car moving along. I wish I knew about contacting them sooner! This is completely my fault though, as I will admit that I did NOT read my packet in detail and I actually threw it away in Europe.

Anyway, thanks again Zugspitze/chmura!

I hope my scenario can help other members with taking re-delivery of their cars sooner!
I did tell you 4 months ago to contact BMW NA Special Sales (the ED ppl for US customers), even giving you the phone number...

European Delivery Question

Anyway, glad your car arrived, and sorry we mid-Atlantic folks got an absurdly early snowstorm on the very day your car showed up!
nomoracin758.00
      11-16-2018, 05:44 AM   #25
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Wow, that's a shame. I personally had an amazing time in Europe on my ED. Are you sure you went to the same place?

I suppose I am puzzled as to why driving your M2 in Europe endangers it any more than driving it here. I found the roads better than the ones where I live for the most part. You could certainly bring a roll of blue tape or even some ppf and protect the paint if that was your concern. It's not that difficult to apply for temporary use.

Perhaps you should have either driven further and/or stayed longer. That way you could reach the magic number, get your break in service done and go fast if that is what you needed. You can't responsibly do 130+ here anywhere other than on track even when you reach break in or whenever you deem it appropriate so driving here will, I expect, be disappointing as well.

I put 1,604 miles on my M2 while in Europe and loved each and every one of them. FWIW, I still didn't push too hard after break in service. Didn't feel the need to wind it up but I certainly enjoyed driving a very capable M2 without speed limits.

If it's just a matter of going fast, rent an M2, or whatever, for a day and drive the heck out of it. Rather than "endanger" my M2, I did exactly this at the Nürburgring and had an awesome time. The best thing I did, aside from renting a car that was set up for the track, was hire an instructor for a couple of hours. Great way to get acquainted with the track. Oh, and you can certainly go as fast as the track, your skills and car will allow.

Sorry it was disappointing for you because it is a great opportunity to drive, explore, see some awe inspiring scenery, meet great people, eat good food and see some pretty amazing things.

To each his own I guess. Personally, I want to do it again, several times.

Drive safe.
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
Miata1385.50
      11-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #26
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I think I gave people the wrong idea. My wife and I had a great time. I was just bitter at the fact that it took so long to 1) collect it in Europe and 2) the re-delivery here in the States. I openly prefaced my comments with the fact that I know that I was being a whinny b$;&ch.

However, I do feel that BMW dropped the ball on the whole release date thing from the start. For the longest time, everyone was under the impression that the official release date was going to be September 17 because that was the soonest ED date anyone here in the US could get, BUT then we started hearing of folks from Canada getting way earlier dates and then they even started to show up state side soon after. My car was completed by the end of July, but I wasn't able to collect it until September. That really sucked! All I was saying was that I could've just flown to Europe in July, rented a BMW, have the same amount of fun, and fly back home with my car waiting for me in August. Sure, it would've been more expensive, but I think it would've been worth it to have my car 3 months sooner and have that "glory" feeling of being one of the firsts to receive it in my region.

Next, the re-delivery process was also "painful" because it sat at the VPC for 3 weeks with the status of "open work order." It past customs very quickly, so it wasn't even that. Nobody could tell me anything as to what the delay was for. I couldn't help, but to worry that something bad had happened. This was just very frustrating for me because I know the delay wasn't due to the fact that the VPC was backed up or anything...because people collected their cars before me when their ships arrived after mine.

Anyway, it arrived to my dealership yesterday...finally, but then we had our first snow storm of the year. LOL...my luck continues. So, I decided to leave my car there over night in hopes that today's road conditions are better...I think it will be.

I'm sure all my bitterness will fade away once I pick it up today.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #27
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Collected!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
randyt224.50
DanG10444.00
Miata1385.50
      11-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #28
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Collected!
Congratulations. I know the wait seemed terrible but the joy in driving the M2C will eventually make the wait worth while.

And it looks great in AW.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #29
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

congrats!! what part of va are you in?
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #30
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
NOVA (Loudoun Co)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Looking back, I feel like doing ED was a mistake now.

My reasons...

1) takes sooo long
2) the tracking process is terrible (too many unknowns)
3) you "endanger" your car in Europe (such as road debris, potential dings from parking, expose your car to the elements, etc)
4) for the most part, you can't full throttle it (until you reach 1200 miles and get the service done) I didn't get the service done, so it was just a big tease!
5) takes sooo long!

I think a better route would've just been to take my own Euro trip and rent a BMW. That way...

1) I could've been one of the first people to receive their M2C in VA if I didn't do ED
2) I wouldn't "endanger" my own vehicle
3) I could've ragged out someone else's car (I feel a little jipped that I wasn't able to go 130+ mph)

I'm sure that I'm mostly feeling like this right now because I haven't collected my car here in the states yet. It's been at the VPC for 2 weeks now and it's just absolute torture...because they can't give me any updates other than, "it's delayed." So frustrating!

First world problems!
1. I definitely agree with you on this. Took months before I actually found out I was approved. Then another few for the trip. Then another for the re-delivery.
2. Yeah it's definitely not fedex. Once you know what ship the car's on it's not too bad. VPC is a mess though. Nobody has a clue where anything is.
3. I didn't have a single issue with any of this through 1,500 miles and four countries. The again, I drove in the middle of summer.
4. Yeah this is a bit of a bummer too. Though for me, driving on unfamiliar roads, in a continent riddled with speed cameras, was enough to keep me in check. Even being extremely careful, I still got two speeding tickets from Zurich a few months after the fact. Both for 1-3 kmh over. I did my 1,200 in Geneva and was able to open her up a bit before drop off, which was nice. Though the added hassle of finding a dealership and losing the car for most of a day was a pain.

With all of the stress, uncertainty, and waiting, I still found it to be an amazing experience that I would love to do again. Especially knowing what I know now about the process and Europe in general.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #32
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
Quote:
Looking back, I feel like doing ED was a mistake now.

My reasons...

1) takes sooo long
2) the tracking process is terrible (too many unknowns)
3) you "endanger" your car in Europe (such as road debris, potential dings from parking, expose your car to the elements, etc)
4) for the most part, you can't full throttle it (until you reach 1200 miles and get the service done) I didn't get the service done, so it was just a big tease!
5) takes sooo long!

I think a better route would've just been to take my own Euro trip and rent a BMW. That way...

1) I could've been one of the first people to receive their M2C in VA if I didn't do ED
2) I wouldn't "endanger" my own vehicle
3) I could've ragged out someone else's car (I feel a little jipped that I wasn't able to go 130+ mph)

I'm sure that I'm mostly feeling like this right now because I haven't collected my car here in the states yet. It's been at the VPC for 2 weeks now and it's just absolute torture...because they can't give me any updates other than, "it's delayed." So frustrating!

First world problems!
1. I definitely agree with you on this. Took months before I actually found out I was approved. Then another few for the trip. Then another for the re-delivery.
2. Yeah it's definitely not fedex. Once you know what ship the car's on it's not too bad. VPC is a mess though. Nobody has a clue where anything is.
3. I didn't have a single issue with any of this through 1,500 miles and four countries. The again, I drove in the middle of summer.
4. Yeah this is a bit of a bummer too. Though for me, driving on unfamiliar roads, in a continent riddled with speed cameras, was enough to keep me in check. Even being extremely careful, I still got two speeding tickets from Zurich a few months after the fact. Both for 1-3 kmh over. I did my 1,200 in Geneva and was able to open her up a bit before drop off, which was nice. Though the added hassle of finding a dealership and losing the car for most of a day was a pain.

With all of the stress, uncertainty, and waiting, I still found it to be an amazing experience that I would love to do again. Especially knowing what I know now about the process and Europe in general.
Oh crap...you got tickets months later? I assumed that I was in the clear by now, but man...now I'm nervous!

Were the tickets expensive? Do you really have to pay them? ...like would it affect our US driving record or collections?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #33
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh crap...you got tickets months later? I assumed that I was in the clear by now, but man...now I'm nervous!

Were the tickets expensive? Do you really have to pay them? ...like would it affect our US driving record or collections?
Ha yeah. They came about six weeks after I was in Zurich. The first was for 1 kmh over and the second was for 3 kmh over. Both in a 50 kmh zone in the city. They were 40 swiss francs each, so I just paid them. Don't want to cross the border on my second ED five years from now and get arrested.

They won't affect a U.S. driving record, nor will they go to collections (as far as I know). I think after a certain period of time they might just disappear altogether.

If you never saw a flash, I wouldn't worry about it. I distinctively remember two flashes in Zurich so I wasn't too surprised.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #34
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Yea, you're right, but at least here in the States, it's garaged nightly and if the weather sucks, it stays in the garage. Haha
You know cars are designed to get wet and stay outside, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #35
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingpizzainthef87rules View Post
Quote:
Yea, you're right, but at least here in the States, it's garaged nightly and if the weather sucks, it stays in the garage. Haha
You know cars are designed to get wet and stay outside, right?
I'm sorry, but a dumb comment deserves a dumb one back...

Maybe you're one of those guys who can't understand why you don't get top dollar on your used car...used and abused?
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #36
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Ha yeah. They came about six weeks after I was in Zurich. The first was for 1 kmh over and the second was for 3 kmh over. Both in a 50 kmh zone in the city. They were 40 swiss francs each, so I just paid them. Don't want to cross the border on my second ED five years from now and get arrested.

They won't affect a U.S. driving record, nor will they go to collections (as far as I know). I think after a certain period of time they might just disappear altogether.

If you never saw a flash, I wouldn't worry about it. I distinctively remember two flashes in Zurich so I wasn't too surprised.
Holy crap 1 KMH over? That's gotta be within the variance for inaccuracy of the equipment.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #37
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Holy crap 1 KMH over? That's gotta be within the variance for inaccuracy of the equipment.
Yeah I can't remember what it was exactly, but there was an error variance calculated. I think it was 3 kmh, meaning I was doing 54 in a 50 zone.

I can't complain too much. It was an $81 mistake. If I ever do ED again, I'll know not to go over the posted speed at all. The 5 mph thing that works in most states clearly doesn't apply to Switzerland.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #38
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
NOVA (Loudoun Co)

awesome, maybe I will see you around or at one of the cca events. or maybe a track day at summit point if you plan to track the car. I am split between Alexandria and dc
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #39
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Yeah I can't remember what it was exactly, but there was an error variance calculated. I think it was 3 kmh, meaning I was doing 54 in a 50 zone.

I can't complain too much. It was an $81 mistake. If I ever do ED again, I'll know not to go over the posted speed at all. The 5 mph thing that works in most states clearly doesn't apply to Switzerland.
Interesting, I wonder if different speed limits have a different amount of speed tolerance in Switzerland. I received a ticket in the mail for going 88 kmh in a 80 zone. On the ticket, it said I was being charged for going 3 kmh over their speed tolerance limit of 5kmh. Costed me about $60 USD.

Also I didn't notice it but my wife did see a flash. She quickly asked me at the time, what speed are you going?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #40
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Interesting, I wonder if different speed limits have a different amount of speed tolerance in Switzerland. I received a ticket in the mail for going 88 kmh in a 80 zone. On the ticket, it said I was being charged for going 3 kmh over their speed tolerance limit of 5kmh. Costed me about $60 USD.

Also I didn't notice it but my wife did see a flash. She quickly asked me at the time, what speed are you going?
I've heard 5 kmh is the standard is most areas. I remember being in a residential area both times. Maybe that was it?

On both flashes I immediately looked down at the speedo and thought I was fine. Course the LCI doesn't display kmh, so the whole trip I had to eyeball it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #41
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
On both flashes I immediately looked down at the speedo and thought I was fine. Course the LCI doesn't display kmh, so the whole trip I had to eyeball it.
You can set the digital speed display to use kph.
      11-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #42
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
I've heard 5 kmh is the standard is most areas. I remember being in a residential area both times. Maybe that was it?

You're most likely right about the residential area. I was fighting just to keep myself at no more than 5 kmh on their highways. It just felt so ridiculously slow in the area I was caught. Live and learn, plus paid the fine as I hope to go back in the not so distant future.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #43
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I've never done ED on a BMW, and most of my current (too large) stable of BMWs were bought used, with the exception of my newish 2018 M2.

Buying a new BMW can certainly be a good excuse for making a trip to Europe, with the added benefits of minor monetary savings and the ability to drive it over there and then get it shipped back to the USA.

But why not just go on a trip to Europe if you want to go there, without making that trip contingent on buying a new car? I spend 6 weeks a year in France, divided into two trips, fall and spring. I never need an excuse to go there, and I do end up driving rather uninteresting cars while there (but I do allow the food and wine to make up for it).

Germany is a nice country, but there is a lot more to see in Europe, and not being on an automobile-inspired trip, you can have the freedom to go wherever you want.
gnx751.50
      11-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #44
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I've never done ED on a BMW, and most of my current (too large) stable of BMWs were bought used, with the exception of my newish 2018 M2.

Buying a new BMW can certainly be a good excuse for making a trip to Europe, with the added benefits of minor monetary savings and the ability to drive it over there and then get it shipped back to the USA.

But why not just go on a trip to Europe if you want to go there, without making that trip contingent on buying a new car? I spend 6 weeks a year in France, divided into two trips, fall and spring. I never need an excuse to go there, and I do end up driving rather uninteresting cars while there (but I do allow the food and wine to make up for it).

Germany is a nice country, but there is a lot more to see in Europe, and not being on an automobile-inspired trip, you can have the freedom to go wherever you want.
I have been over to Europe a few times and each time has been different. Some for work, some times with other family.

I actually found the M2 ED liberating and not constrained in the slightest. Sure, I had a pickup and drop off schedule, but I would have those types of constraints on any trip. Everything after that was open to my discretion and whim.

I waited a long time for my M2 (~18 months) so the anticipation probably has something to do with things. The fact that what we did was not tailored to meet work demands or the least common denominator in a groups desires also played a role.

Regardless, the whole experience offered a freedom to go wherever we wanted to go, to do whatever we wanted to do, whenever we wanted to do it and enabled a very fluid and flexible schedule.

Still, I have to say the I would love to have the time & funds to do what you do and spend 6 weeks a year in Europe. There are, as you say, lots of things to see and do in many different countries.

My ED only allowed a glimpse, but it was a truly great time.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50