BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Hyundai launches N sub-brand to take on BMW M

08-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #221
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
, they've been making cars for over 30 years...doubt much will change in the next 10 or 15
No worries I will still be lurking around here.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #222
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This is good for BMW. Folks who can't afford BMW M, such as young people, will buy Hyundai N (e.g., instead of Civic Si, WRX/STI, etc.). Then, when they can afford it, they will move up to BMW M.

I don't understand why people on the forum get so derisive about stuff like this. Hyundai has made major strides since they first entered the North American car market and they are now starting to branch out into the niche segments, such as luxury and performance. Their emphasis is on providing good value for the money. Not everyone can afford a BMW or Mercedes and these are the folks that get a Hyundai. When they can afford one though, the folks that bought a Hyundai may very well step up to a BMW. Especially with BMW M's former chief engineer at Hyundai, I expect their N cars will make great stepping stones for many people to eventually own an M car.
      08-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #223
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316
//Notorsport
That's Notorsnooten in German
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #224
bmc335
Bimmer? I don't even know'er!
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 550i M Sport

N for Nope <likely already used in this giant thread, but had to anyway>

In all seriousness, they make a great car for the price point. Might be a nice cheap platform to build off of for track days / autocross
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #225
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k0ne
think this move will wake up BMW. Korean cars has been on top of their tech and all they have to do is beef up their cars. Genesis R was a good example of their performance and now with the head of the M division moving to Hyundai, it's a great start.

Genesis R : 429hp, 376tq
+ head of M division experience
+ pricing starting at 48K
+ Rear view camera STANDARD with a whole bunch of tech more advanced than BMW

... I'd cross shop. Those specs are from 2012 also. imagine what they can bring in +2016

Hyundai also manufactures all their parts in house starting from the steel itself so R&D for better parts isn't the problem. Bringing in the head of M division was a great move IMO

Competition = win for consumers. maybe BMW will start listening to their buyers and put some ridiculous options as standard
Now only if they can make their cars not rust so fast.....longevity in looks holds much weight in any decision I make as a car consumer.....Hyundai needs to step up their game here.
Hyundai is a big player now and they will make good products soon I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:38 AM   #226
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

BMW have nothing to worry about. The only people that MAY be attracted to what Hyundai offer in this segment are those that are looking at entry-level BMWs. In any case, generally, those people want to step up from Hyundais etc!!!

BMW will always be a luxury marque and will be at the forefront of engineering and performance. Good on Hyundai for having a go to compete in this segment and as a proud BMW owner I say bring it on!!!!

Honda, Nissan etc have all tried this game before. Toyota have been successful with Lexus, but it still can't compare to the best the Germans have to offer.

Last edited by Gunzaro; 08-28-2015 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #227
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
BMW have nothing to worry about. The only people that MAY be attracted to what Hyundai offer in this segment are those that are looking at entry-level BMWs. In any case, generally, those people want to step up from Hyundais etc!!!

BMW will always be a luxury marque and will be at the forefront of engineering and performance. Good on Hyundai for having a go to compete in this segment and as a proud BMW owner I say bring it on!!!!

Honda, Nissan etc have all tried this game before. Toyota have been successful with Lexus, but it still can't compare to the best the Germans have to offer.
What a nonsense!!! (at least concerning me)

If I can't afford an M, and I can't, I'm just not buying a BMW.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #228
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Yes the ke word is "for a bit". The Korean company has been making cars since the early eighties and they still are perceived as cheap. That's that's over thirty years of making automobiles. Doubt it took BMW that long....
Started making cars in the 1920s, really didn't get their shit together till the 60s. So do the math... Same with Mercedes, most of their early cars were crap.. You should have seen the shit Emil Jellinek kept saying about the company.. Emil Jellinek was one of the main investors, his daughter was named Mercedes, I think you can figure out the rest from there...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #229
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

I do like BMW but at this point it looks like BMW is living off of its own hype. The new F3x series is not exactly groundbreaking. The F30 even with the M-sports package does not have the wow factor the E90 originally did. The 4 series is really nothing special... The only cars that really stand out to me are the M235 and the M4. Meanwhile Ford is already cracking BMW in the jaw with the new GT350. The new Mustang will be putting out 526hp and over 400 lb torque and a track tuned suspension. It will also cost a bit over $50k.....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #230
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Started making cars in the 1920s, really didn't get their shit together till the 60s. So do the math... Same with Mercedes, most of their early cars were crap.. You should have seen the shit Emil Jellinek kept saying about the company.. Emil Jellinek was one of the main investors, his daughter was named Mercedes, I think you can figure out the rest from there...
Established in 1967, Hyundai Motor Co. has grown into the Hyundai Motor Group, with more than two dozen auto-related subsidiaries and affiliates. Hyundai Motor — which has seven manufacturing bases outside of South Korea including Brazil, China, the Czech Republic, India, Russia, Turkey and the U.S. — sold 4.06 million vehicles globally in 2011. Hyundai Motor, which employs over 80,000 worldwide, offers a full line-up of products including small to large passenger vehicles, SUVs and commercial vehicles.

I don't know where you got the 1920s from but they started exporting cars to North America in the 1980s. My point is that the brand still is perceived as a sub par brand as it didn't take BMW or Benz that long to establish themselves as premium. They can hire whoever they want, hard to shed the image in a few decades alone.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #231
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Established in 1967, Hyundai Motor Co. has grown into the Hyundai Motor Group, with more than two dozen auto-related subsidiaries and affiliates. Hyundai Motor — which has seven manufacturing bases outside of South Korea including Brazil, China, the Czech Republic, India, Russia, Turkey and the U.S. — sold 4.06 million vehicles globally in 2011. Hyundai Motor, which employs over 80,000 worldwide, offers a full line-up of products including small to large passenger vehicles, SUVs and commercial vehicles.

I don't know where you got the 1920s from but they started exporting cars to North America in the 1980s. My point is that the brand still is perceived as a sub par brand as it didn't take BMW or Benz that long to establish themselves as premium. They can hire whoever they want, hard to shed the image in a few decades alone.
BMW started making cars in 1924. I was referring to BMW, NOT Hyundai when I mentioned the 1920s .. Before that they made airplane motors and motorbikes. Benz started making cars in the late 1800s (shit HE invented the car) but Daimler-Benz didn't really get their shit together till the 1930s.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #232
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Moving up from crsx. How's everything?
Oh snap, what up
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #233
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeskool
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Quote:
Christ, this is embarrassing. I am physically cringing reading many of these replies. No wonder bmw owners have such a bad reputation.
At least the BMW owners for the most part are happy with what they have, were all subjective since if you didn't like what you had you'd have something else you liked.

Unfair to rate, since most of us are happy with BMW. I simply like the brand, and even if Cadillac came out with an 800hp supercharged car for the same price, I'd still choose BMW.
Subjective brand loyalty is for simpletons.

Your Cadillac anecdote is another in a long line of examples of this laughably sad epidemic on this board.
agreed. brand loyalty is for people who can't think for themselves.....marketing victims.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #234
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
For example: if you were a big shot business consultant working for Mckinsey or other large profile consulting company and you were invited to a black tie event with other big executives and the conversation turns from business to pleasure (in regards to motorsports) would you rather say "I drive a BMW M(3, 4, 5, 6)" or "I drive a Hyundai N". Not everyone is shallow, but a lot of people attribute cars to success (or a deep trust fund left by parents).
I'm only 25 and I about spit up my breakfast at the stupidity of this comment. Cars and financial success should be kept completely separate IMO especially with the ability to Lease cars you cannot afford and get loans on cars that will break you. Young people here in FL drive Mercs, BMWs, Lexus and 1 in 20 of them might actually be able to afford (buy) the car.

If they wanted to do a pissing contest why not just wip out the bank statements and pay stubs right there and then?

"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like." - Edward Norton
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #235
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post
I'm only 25 and I about spit up my breakfast at the stupidity of this comment. Cars and financial success should be kept completely separate IMO especially with the ability to Lease cars you cannot afford and get loans on cars that will break you. Young people here in FL drive Mercs, BMWs, Lexus and 1 in 20 of them might actually be able to afford (buy) the car.

If they wanted to do a pissing contest why not just wip out the bank statements and pay stubs right there and then?

"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like." - Edward Norton

Damn!!! Hats off to you my friend.. That was perfect!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #236
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
Agree wholeheartedly with the above!!!!
Why are you replying to your own comment?

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #237
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311
I do like BMW but at this point it looks like BMW is living off of its own hype. The new F3x series is not exactly groundbreaking. The F30 even with the M-sports package does not have the wow factor the E90 originally did. The 4 series is really nothing special... The only cars that really stand out to me are the M235 and the M4. Meanwhile Ford is already cracking BMW in the jaw with the new GT350. The new Mustang will be putting out 526hp and over 400 lb torque and a track tuned suspension. It will also cost a bit over $50k.....
Exactly this. I've never been a fan of American muscle cars but the GT350 is amazing and ticks all the boxes for me when it comes to a car.

Here lately M seems to just stand for Monetization.
      08-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #238
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Exactly this. I've never been a fan of American muscle cars but the GT350 is amazing and ticks all the boxes for me when it comes to a car.

Yup and every other thread now on here is like:
Hi I just modded my E9x 335, car is really sweet now..
Reply:
Yeah but come on dude it's not an M. M is in a world all its own. Have your ever driven an M? It is the greatest car you can ever drive.. It is just that awesome, there is nothing better out there.. If M was a dude I would suck his dick so hard that his balls would pop.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #239
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post

Yup and every other thread now on here is like:
Hi I just modded my E9x 335, car is really sweet now..
Reply:
Yeah but come on dude it's not an M. M is in a world all its own. Have your ever driven an M? It is the greatest car you can ever drive.. It is just that awesome, there is nothing better out there.. If M was a dude I would suck his dick so hard that his balls would pop.
I always felt like M owners had to justify there purchase by bashing the regular models to help them sleep at night. Not all M owners but a good majority. Hell even regular BMW owners. The 2 owners will bash the 1. The 3 will bash the 2. And so forth.
      08-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #240
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post

Stupid as it may be, it is true. I don't know what field you are working in, but people here are superficial. And don't get your panty up in a bunch I'm saying this from what I observe, it is not my personal opinion so no need to tell me that my coments are stupid. I work in finance and this is what I see, I see 24-25 years old that "made" it and spend 75% of their paycheck on a car to impress their clients and it works. Would you trust a hedge fund manager that drives a Hyundai Genesis or one that pulls up in an Aston Martin Rapide ? Have you see a successful hedge fund manager or a successful PE VP pull up in a Honda Civic ? I haven't.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #241
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Quote:
Christ, this is embarrassing. I am physically cringing reading many of these replies. No wonder bmw owners have such a bad reputation.
At least the BMW owners for the most part are happy with what they have, were all subjective since if you didn't like what you had you'd have something else you liked.

Unfair to rate, since most of us are happy with BMW. I simply like the brand, and even if Cadillac came out with an 800hp supercharged car for the same price, I'd still choose BMW.
Subjective brand loyalty is for simpletons.

Your Cadillac anecdote is another in a long line of examples of this laughably sad epidemic on this board.
agreed. brand loyalty is for people who can't think for themselves.....marketing victims.
You mean like Apple? lol

What a bunch of baby's on this thread kinda of reminds me of the "I'm telling mom years", lol.

Oh and just use some big words that's gonna make you look smarter than most, lol again.

People should be able to post whatever they want without soooo many becoming so offended. It's just a BMW forum. And no I'm not offended say what you want 2.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #242
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
Stupid as it may be, it is true. I don't know what field you are working in, but people here are superficial. And don't get your panty up in a bunch I'm saying this from what I observe, it is not my personal opinion so no need to tell me that my coments are stupid. I work in finance and this is what I see, I see 24-25 years old that "made" it and spend 75% of their paycheck on a car to impress their clients and it works. Would you trust a hedge fund manager that drives a Hyundai Genesis or one that pulls up in an Aston Martin Rapide ? Have you see a successful hedge fund manager or a successful PE VP pull up in a Honda Civic ? I haven't.
I wouldn't trust a banker even if he was driving a solid gold Veyron. And if he is in a car like that then he is probably well skilled at ripping people off.
Appreciate 2