BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bootmod3 stage 1 - top revs feel

09-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #23
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
I did way too much reading on air filers (I'm a sado! and was trawling for ISO5011 reports) and determined that the best option IMO for aftermarket filters was an oiled foam filter (to have the best balance of filtration and air flow). Options I know of are Pipercross and ITG (which look very similar in construction but the Pipercross is cheaper)
https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #24
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
JKen,

TBH I did a fair bit of experimentation with intakes on my JB4'd m135i.

Best bang for the buck with an AFE air scoop and dry drop in filter in oem sealed air box. I moved to Dinan CAI which was marginally better but not a big leap from the above set up.

Hence - on my m2 - I have AFE dry drop in filter in stock airbox.

BP
I did way too much reading on air filers (I'm a sado! and was trawling for ISO5011 reports) and determined that the best option IMO for aftermarket filters was an oiled foam filter (to have the best balance of filtration and air flow). Options I know of are Pipercross and ITG (which look very similar in construction but the Pipercross is cheaper)

Interestingly, when contacting Eventuri for their ISO5011 report, it was like tumbleweed! Usually they are super responsive on queries, but they clearly didn't want to share that info!
WT

Oiled filters and n55 are not well suited as oil gets on the MAF and addles the signals.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 12:19 AM   #25
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
JKen,

Best bang for the buck with an AFE air scoop and dry drop in filter in oem sealed air box. I moved to Dinan CAI which was marginally better but not a big leap from the above set up.

BP

Interestingly, when contacting Eventuri for their ISO5011 report, it was like tumbleweed! Usually they are super responsive on queries, but they clearly didn't want to share that info!
WT

Oiled filters and n55 are not well suited as oil gets on the MAF and addles the signals.

BP
Let's not get sucked into that conversation - we could spend many pages debating air filters!

Anyone have any ideas on these knocks I'm experiencing?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 06:05 AM   #26
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
JKen,

BP

WT

BP
Let's not get sucked into that conversation - we could spend many pages debating air filters!

Anyone have any ideas on these knocks I'm experiencing?

Cheers
Post a log with knock events as it's hard to comment constructively otherwise.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #27
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Bootmod3 Customer support came back to me and suggested I try the stage 1 91 map (which they've given me a map credit for! ).

Reported that the issues are probably due to bad octane and/ or excessive iat.

IAT I can totally understand - as there are knocks when IAT is over 110f. However some are when IAT is much lower (eg 89f).

Re fuel, its on its second tank of shell vpower 99RON, so I'm not convinced that that's an issue tbh.

I'm happy to try the 91 map but do have concerns that it'll be less powerful overall than stock (when running decent fuel) .

I'll have to visit the dyno and compare them.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #28
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
How many knocks is too many?

Over a 15 min hard drive last night I have 12 knock incidents. 9 of these occurred when IAT was between 102F - 120F. (this is with Shell Vpower 99RON)

Is it safe to live with this, or do I need to rollback to the stock tune?
You can log the stock tune as well. Just flash back to stock but don't lock the DME. Then you could compare knock frequency between tunes. I bet you get similar knock on stock tune with your octane.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #29
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Over a 15 min hard drive last night I have 12 knock incidents. 9 of these occurred when IAT was between 102F - 120F. (this is with Shell Vpower 99RON)

You can log the stock tune as well. Just flash back to stock but don't lock the DME. Then you could compare knock frequency between tunes. I bet you get similar knock on stock tune with your octane.
I logged the oem map before the initial swap, and over a similar duration and similar driving, I didn't get any at all - hence why I'm looking into it more.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:22 AM   #30
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

I logged the oem map before the initial swap, and over a similar duration and similar driving, I didn't get any at all - hence why I'm looking into it more.
Actually that initial log was against 97RON, but when I moved to stage 1 I did get alot of knocks so moved to 99RON.

However, just in case there was a fuel issue as you suggest, I logged again this morning. On the 99RON I had just one knock on the stock tune over the same drive.

Will try the stage 1 91 map later.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:29 AM   #31
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Bootmod3 Customer support came back to me and suggested I try the stage 1 91 map (which they've given me a map credit for! ).

Reported that the issues are probably due to bad octane and/ or excessive iat.

IAT I can totally understand - as there are knocks when IAT is over 110f. However some are when IAT is much lower (eg 89f).

Re fuel, its on its second tank of shell vpower 99RON, so I'm not convinced that that's an issue tbh.

I'm happy to try the 91 map but do have concerns that it'll be less powerful overall than stock (when running decent fuel) .

I'll have to visit the dyno and compare them.
There are folks in UK running SVP 99RON with stg2 bolt-ons and BM3 e30 OTS w/o issues. Hints more towards your lack of hardware upgrades than fuel perhaps.

However switching to lesser map and or running a couple of tanks SVP 99RON with a 1/2 bottle of boostane in each is way cheaper initially to help understand your knock issues.

Are the knock events across all cylinders or focussed on specific cylinder(s) ? If say cyl 6 perhaps switch coilpacks around to see if knock stays with cyl 6 or moves to where you've put cyl 6 coilpack.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      09-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #32
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There are folks in UK running SVP 99RON with stg2 bolt-ons and BM3 e30 OTS w/o issues. Hints more towards your lack of hardware upgrades than fuel perhaps.
I can totally see that this is the case. For me stage 1 was only done as I got the BM3 license for a good price, so thought I would apply it. Ultimately, I fully expect to go to stage 2, but that won't happen until some point next year.

Quote:
However switching to lesser map and or running a couple of tanks SVP 99RON with a 1/2 bottle of boostane in each is way cheaper initially to help understand your knock issues.
Good advice (as always! )

Quote:
Are the knock events across all cylinders or focussed on specific cylinder(s) ? If say cyl 6 perhaps switch coilpacks around to see if knock stays with cyl 6 or moves to where you've put cyl 6 coilpack.
Yeah, good shout - I have checked and the knock incidents are split almost evenly over cylinders 1,2,3 & 4. Doing the boostane testing will hopefully provide some indications on whether the packs are attributing to the issue.

Cheers BP.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1777.00
      09-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #33
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Sure - I went for:

Sport: 2.5 aggressive, 0.5 seconds

Sport+: 3 aggressive, 0.6 seconds

I also change the min RPM to 2.5K so that I don't have burbles when just moving slowly.

I personally like it. As I mention, it does pop occasionally, but not very often. Perhaps I may up them 0.5 - 1 for aggressiveness if I need to flash again, however, I am super happy with the duration.

As you have a Sports Cat, any burble setting will always sound louder than stock anyway, so you may have to experiment.
Thanks! I'll try that out today. 'Sport' applies to comfort and 'Sport+' to sport and sport+ driving modes right?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:48 AM   #34
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
Quote:
Sure - I went for:

Sport: 2.5 aggressive, 0.5 seconds

Sport+: 3 aggressive, 0.6 seconds

I also change the min RPM to 2.5K so that I don't have burbles when just moving slowly.

I personally like it. As I mention, it does pop occasionally, but not very often. Perhaps I may up them 0.5 - 1 for aggressiveness if I need to flash again, however, I am super happy with the duration.

As you have a Sports Cat, any burble setting will always sound louder than stock anyway, so you may have to experiment.
Thanks! I'll try that out today. 'Sport' applies to comfort and 'Sport+' to sport and sport+ driving modes right?
That nearly reads crazy! ;-) But I think you are right!

In the manual, the two sliders for duration are one labelled just as "duration" and then the 2nd is labelled "duration (sport)".

I think the label in the more recent app might be wrong for the first slider.

I did up the aggression by 0.5 for each and there is very noticeable burbles in comfort now - I will try turning the first slide down.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #35
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Stage 1 91 applied and no knocks (other than a couple when first starting out which is understandable).

Similar iat, so fuel definitely suspect. Will try a different fuel and/or octane booster.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1777.00
      09-25-2019, 02:41 AM   #36
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Stage 1 91 applied and no knocks (other than a couple when first starting out which is understandable).

Similar iat, so fuel definitely suspect. Will try a different fuel and/or octane booster.
Also this tune feels silky smooth!
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1777.00
      09-27-2019, 05:38 AM   #37
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow - crazy finding in the logs last night.

In my ignorance of engine management, at the start of this I saw knocks and freaked out with little understanding of how to read these events.

My immediate response was to go and put in some "better" fuel (was on sainsbury 97RON and then filled with shell vpower 99- supposedly the best fuel in UK forecourts) . It seems though that marketing is more powerful than reality - the next logs (on the shell vpower) were actually worse - significantly worse with large knocks where timing had to be retarded 6, 8, 10 or even 15 degrees in one case. These are bad knocks! And prompted moving back to the stage 1 91 map.

However, after doing some reading and then re looking at the first logs on stage 1 93 with sainsbury 97RON, the log is actually fine with the knocks rolling back only 2-3 degrees, which it appears is quite normal and to be expected as the engine finds the edge of knock (where the most power and efficiency is made).

So to sum it up, shell vpower locally sucks! Sainsbury fuel is better! Go figure!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:17 AM   #38
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

In my ignorance of engine management, at the start of this I saw knocks and freaked out with little understanding of how to read these events.

My immediate response was to go and put in some "better" fuel (was on sainsbury 97RON and then filled with shell vpower 99- supposedly the best fuel in UK forecourts) . It seems though that marketing is more powerful than reality - the next logs (on the shell vpower) were actually worse - significantly worse with large knocks where timing had to be retarded 6, 8, 10 or even 15 degrees in one case. These are bad knocks! And prompted moving back to the stage 1 91 map.

However, after doing some reading and then re looking at the first logs on stage 1 93 with sainsbury 97RON, the log is actually fine with the knocks rolling back only 2-3 degrees, which it appears is quite normal and to be expected as the engine finds the edge of knock (where the most power and efficiency is made).

So to sum it up, shell vpower locally sucks! Sainsbury fuel is better! Go figure!!
WT - interesting findings and not good for SVP.

If Sainsbury's 97 is working OK then great.

Do you have a Tesco nearby that sells Momentum99 ? I ask as that was the go to fuel before SVP 99 came along.

Do you reset throttle body adaptions - TBA - when switching maps ? In my experience, TBA reset helps to reduce DME re-learning time

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      09-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #39
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:

I'm interested in seeing these logs. Can you link to them?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #40
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

WT - interesting findings and not good for SVP.

If Sainsbury's 97 is working OK then great.

Do you have a Tesco nearby that sells Momentum99 ? I ask as that was the go to fuel before SVP 99 came along.

Do you reset throttle body adaptions - TBA - when switching maps ? In my experience, TBA reset helps to reduce DME re-learning time
I didn't reset the adaptions, but I've just found the button, so will do this when I remap back to stage 1 93 (after the new tank of svp has been used up - as I only just refilled - doh!)

Re tesco 99, I won't put that fuel in the car - have a few times but it always felt a bit rough (this was before I had logging ability)

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #41
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I found this page super useful for understanding knock better and what's acceptable:

http://www.motorsport-developments.c...Detection.html
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 03:51 AM   #42
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I'm interested in seeing these logs. Can you link to them?
Hi,

Soz for delay.

Here are the links to the analysed Excel logs- these are all on BM3 Stage 1 93:

Sainsburys 97RON
Log 1: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Aq_A7z7a4QFzg5tK...NV7ow?e=0kNiHv
Log 2: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Aq_A7z7a4QFzg5tM...PghcQ?e=lwNBCl

Shell SVP 99:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Aq_A7z7a4QFzg5tW...Lbb9g?e=PIIki4
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #43
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Soz for delay.

Sainsburys 97RON

Shell SVP 99:
Log extracts like these are fairly meaningless as knock detection/ign adv pull at partial throttle will be random/inconsistent.

To interpret datalogs, you need to have full run from <2000rpm to redline with wide open throttle (WOT) in 3rd gear or above with DSC fully off.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #44
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Soz for delay.

Sainsburys 97RON

Shell SVP 99:
Log extracts like these are fairly meaningless as knock detection/ign adv pull at partial throttle will be random/inconsistent.

To interpret datalogs, you need to have full run from <2000rpm to redline with wide open throttle (WOT) in 3rd gear or above with DSC fully off.
I did wonder about dsc but wasn't sure which map it would run. If we get a dry day before this tank runs out I'll try to log in dsc off mode.

In any case, in sport and sport + the logs show significant knocks with svp and minor ones with 97ron, so I will stick with that instead. Bm3 support also thought there could be a potential fuel issue.

93aki = 97.4 RON so it's not very far from spec at all.
Appreciate 0