BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > 2018 bmw m2 quiet knocking only audible from interior

01-12-2024, 08:34 PM   #1
ExonF87
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

2018 bmw m2 quiet knocking only audible from interior

Ok so just picked up a used f87 m2 about 2 weeks ago and its been fun. Ive had new car paranoia with it. Let it warm up get up to temp before driving it “harder” but Ive always listened for sounds since Ive bought it and I notice a super quiet knocking only audible from passnger side footwell area. Im just worried about it being an internal engine issue. It does slightly speed up with the rpm. At first I thought it was injectors as its a chatter and knock and not just a knock by itself. Not sure maybe one of yall could help me out here.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 08:37 PM   #2
ExonF87
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Here is a video of it. The sound isn’t super consistent but you can hear it the best towards the end
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 08:43 PM   #3
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExonF87 View Post
Ok so just picked up a used f87 m2 about 2 weeks ago and its been fun. Ive had new car paranoia with it. Let it warm up get up to temp before driving it “harder” but Ive always listened for sounds since Ive bought it and I notice a super quiet knocking only audible from passnger side footwell area. Im just worried about it being an internal engine issue. It does slightly speed up with the rpm. At first I thought it was injectors as its a chatter and knock and not just a knock by itself. Not sure maybe one of yall could help me out here.
Kind of hard to hear from the clip, but ticking near front passenger wheel makes me think lifter tick. My N55 M2 makes a slight noise in that area too, haven't worried too much about it but I am keeping an eye on it.

Check out this thread. There's some discussion and videos of S55 engines with this noise that might help narrow it down for you: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2026488
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:34 AM   #4
BMWNo
Rep
Drives: BMW

any update on this?

My 2018 m2 made the same noise.
Appreciate 0