BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Potentially buying an F87 N55 that is tuned, how do I find out what tune it is?

Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #1
jariustwin
Registered
Rep
Drives: soon

Potentially buying an F87 N55 that is tuned, how do I find out what tune it is?

Hi all,

As the title states, I am currently in the process of purchasing a 2018 F87 N55 with 55k KM.

It was listed with a “custom exhaust”, and nothing else. Upon test driving the vehicle I immediately noticed intake noises followed by the classic pops and bangs from the exhaust. Nothing CRAZY, but enough to tell me the car is either on a stage 1 or stage 2 Bm3 or MHD tune. After the test drive, I requested to have the car hoisted, and (obviously) found the catless DP, not entirely sure on chargepipe however. In the engine bay was a CTS intake.

The dealer does not have a list of mods which would make the process a little easier lol.

I am 20 and this would be my first BMW M car, so I’m not worried about the modifications that I would have done myself within the first 3 months anyways lol.

So I guess my question(s) are;

1. How can I find out which exact tune is on the car?

2. Will I be able to override the current tune with another if I purchase a license? Or will the original license need to be removed with some type of passkey from the original owner?

3. Is it more likely that the car is running on 91 or 93?

Just to finish, I have probably made it obvious that I am new to the tuning world of BMW’s, so I may have left out some details, please let me know if additional info is needed!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

First, let me just say that imo buying a used, modified BMW with unknown history for regular transportation is not advisable. This is especially true when you’re 20.

That disclaimer aside:

3) No one here knows what fuel this car was run on (or how it was treated). Anyone answering that is just speculating

2) Assuming the car clears the rest of your due diligence and you’re bringing it home, don’t worry about uncovering its past just focus on getting it back to your own baseline with all the proper maintenance. Once that’s done, grab BM3 or MHD and chart your own path from there.

1) See #2
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #3
jariustwin
Registered
Rep
Drives: soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
First, let me just say that imo buying a used, modified BMW with unknown history for regular transportation is not advisable. This is especially true when you’re 20.

That disclaimer aside:

3) No one here knows what fuel this car was run on (or how it was treated). Anyone answering that is just speculating

2) Assuming the car clears the rest of your due diligence and you’re bringing it home, don’t worry about uncovering its past just focus on getting it back to your own baseline with all the proper maintenance. Once that’s done, grab BM3 or MHD and chart your own path from there.

1) See #2
Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree that it is more risky going for something you know has been pre-modified.

I guess the main concern is finding which tune it is on ASAP.

Depending on whether or not the car is on Bm3 or MHD, would a license bought by me be able to be override the current one since it’s not my license?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I would walk away from this M2. Catless down pipe will give you a gas smell in the cockpit.

Truelly for a 20 year old stock power is more than enough to get you in trouble.

I definitely would start with stock power until you get use to the car. Even on the track stock power is plenty to learn how to handle the track.

Drive the M2 for a few years and then decide if you need more power.

I have had my M2 for over six years and it still had stock power.