BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Most difficult or stressful place you have ever driven?

02-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #67
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

My Carrera GT on the hills of SF
      02-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #68
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
tbh some of you guys rent some dumb ass cars for the roads you are going on. Europe = compact, go too big and it's a shit show.
In my defense, I asked for a Z4 in my reservation. When I arrived, I had the choice of an SUV or a 530d Touring. Considering I was about to do a 5 country road trip including Stelvio Pass, the BMW was a no brainer. Even though it sucked by Lake Como, the car was a dream everywhere else. Sure, not at all sporty like I would have liked, but it just munched the miles.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #69
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Nurburgring Nordschleife at speed. Place is wild with Armco everywhere and elevation changes.

Is that your M2?
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      02-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #70
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

I don't stress too much but I do get frustrated over stupidity sometimes and the two worst places for me have been NYC & San Francisco. I always saw some really dumb shit that just made me want to rage on people. The most insane place I have been walking and riding while someone else drove...Sydney Australia! They are insane. LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #71
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Is that your M2?
Thank you, and yessir. Bought it specifically to get into the 7min club on the ‘Ring. Still need to find a bout 3s to reach that goal before I repatriate back to the US.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12786.50
happyjack1657.00
      02-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #72
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

I just remembered this but I'll add another one for my list.

After having taken delivery of my brand new e46 M3 (RWD with Summer tread) in 2001 and being a manual 6-speed in which I hadn't really quite gotten the feel of just yet (hadn't driven a stick for years after living abroad and returning to the US), an unexpected light snow storm hit downtown Seattle and I was on some of the steep hills (don't remember which one) and trying to parallel park on said steep hill with passengers giving me s*** at the same time. I stalled it ONCE and never again. I figured I had a legit excuse for stalling it though. That was a scary moment as I also had to watch out for other drivers and I was so paranoid about someone sliding into me and my brand spanking new M3 that I just paid for in full.

Side Note:
I had never test driven the M3 before buying it. I had only sat in one in a showroom in Tokyo. It was that moment I knew I had to have that car. You have to realize that these were the days when people often times paid a fortune to others that had an allocation to just order that car. Basically paying for a spot in line. I got lucky and didn't have to pay anything and bought one from out of state, custom ordered. No sunroof! What an exciting moment it was for me to see it on a flatbed truck being delivered to my home after drooling over it in magazines and online photos!
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      02-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #73
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Zone 1 in Milano, Italy. Motorbikes and scooters resemble a swarm of mosquitoes.

Aarhus, Denmark. Bicyclists in winter morning darkness on snowy streets make for some tense moments.
Hehe try copenhagen in same conditions.......Thats tense!!
Comming from a native dane..... :-)

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      02-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #74
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
In my defense, I asked for a Z4 in my reservation. When I arrived, I had the choice of an SUV or a 530d Touring. Considering I was about to do a 5 country road trip including Stelvio Pass, the BMW was a no brainer. Even though it sucked by Lake Como, the car was a dream everywhere else. Sure, not at all sporty like I would have liked, but it just munched the miles.
Yeah i hear ya, it's tough, european main roads are brilliant to drive on, so nice. But hit a city and it is BEDLAM.
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      02-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #75
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Italy, specifically Lake Como in a rented F11. Scenery was amazing, roads were tiny, car was a tank. Nothing like coming around a blind corner only to see a garbage truck coming along and you're inches from the barriers.

One place I've actually never driven is ironically Thailand, which is where I'm originally from. 5 or 6 lane wide highways and you've got people driving on the shoulders and mopeds splitting the lanes. Absolutely chaos.
Yeah, forgot about driving there, spent 2 months at Pattaya Bay back in 2016 with a broken jet. Driving was risky but about the same as the Phillipines or Korea in the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Thank you, and yessir. Bought it specifically to get into the 7min club on the ‘Ring. Still need to find a bout 3s to reach that goal before I repatriate back to the US.
I miss driving there, used to live in Bitburg area so it was a quick drive over for a few laps. in the evenings during the summer but my lowly e30 never had that much speed. Hated having to buy fuel off base when I was out and about.

Last edited by M-technik-3; 02-25-2021 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      02-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #76
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
BTW, driving on the German autobahn is very cool. Passing a police car at over 100mph and not getting arrested...priceless! Just kept your eye on the rear view mirror when you get into the left lane!
I thought it was the law over there that if someone is coming up on you at a high rate of speed you stay put and let them go around. It's because if you switch lanes you can cause an accident. Am I incorrect on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #77
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I thought it was the law over there that if someone is coming up on you at a high rate of speed you stay put and let them go around. It's because if you switch lanes you can cause an accident. Am I incorrect on this?
Yes you are incorrect. in Most if not all countries in europe there is a rule of keeping as far to the right as possible to let other ppl pass to the left.

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #78
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I don't know the "law" in Germany but I can say that is not what I witnessed in the few times I have driven the Autobahn. In fact, it might even be illegal to go around others that are in the left lane, not sure of that though. I was in the scenario of having people move over to the lane to the right of them as well as being one to move to the right when I saw someone speeding up to me in the left lane.

One thing I really liked about driving in Germany is the general competence of drivers. Guaranteed that if we had a roadway like the Autobahn here in the US, there would be fatalities left and right! No way would it work here.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      02-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #79
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Seriously?!? Why was this thread moved?? This is not a general automotive topic and deserves to be in the ot forum!
It's because there are so many members banned from the OT forum that only 12 people would see it there .
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      02-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #80
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I normally spend about 30-40% of my time in Bangkok, Thailand for work and after a year of having someone drive me I got tired of the hassles and for the next year drove myself. Our plant is about an hour out of the city (not that far). If you want to move over you just find a gap big enough for part of the vehicle and go. There isn't any honking and others accept it. Massive traffic, impossible to look at your phone so that problem is gone. Often scooters and mopeds coming the wrong way on the highway or one way streets. Hopefully going back soon. Still prefer to drive myself as the waiting and scheduling the guy (Pong and works at our plant) was a pain for him and I. Now I wake up, get ready, eat breakfast and go.

For normal driving I don't like to drive on the shoulder as eventually it ends, like at a bridge and I am forced to cut someone off to get back in the lane.

Everyone on the right side of the double yellow line going the same way as the traffic jamb is on the wrong side of the road. Extremely common but not something I am willing to do. Motorcycles and mopeds don't think twice.

Name:  Traffic.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  708.7 KB

Last edited by David70; 02-25-2021 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12786.50
W///7435.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      02-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #81
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
It's because there are so many members banned from the OT forum that only 12 people would see it there .
LOL. Well in that case I approve!

I'm just hoping this thread continues for a while as I really enjoy reading about people's various experiences around the world.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #82
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
LOL. Well in that case I approve!

I'm just hoping this thread continues for a while as I really enjoy reading about people's various experiences around the world.
Dude, this thread is full of win. Great thread idea for sure.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      02-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #83
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Dude, this thread is full of win. Great thread idea for sure.
I'm glad because I sure as hell wasn't sure whether someone over the past 15 years or so may have posted the same thing. Since it wasn't merged into an already existing thread by the moderators, I take that I created something original, unlike my "what are you binge watching now" attempt. Lol.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      02-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #84
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I normally spend about 30-40% of my time in Bangkok, Thailand for work and after a year of having someone drive me I got tired of the hassles and for the next year drove myself. Our plant is about an hour out of the city (not that far). If you want to move over you just find a gap big enough for part of the vehicle and go. There isn't any honking and others accept it. Massive traffic, impossible to look at your phone so that problem is gone. Often scooters and mopeds coming the wrong way on the highway or one way streets. Hopefully going back soon. Still prefer to drive myself as the waiting and scheduling the guy (Pong and works at our plant) was a pain for him and I. Now I wake up, get ready, eat breakfast and go.

For normal driving I don't like to drive on the shoulder as eventually it ends, like at a bridge and I am forced to cut someone off to get back in the lane.

Everyone on the right side of the double yellow line going the same way as the traffic jamb is on the wrong side of the road. Extremely common but not something I am willing to do. Motorcycles and mopeds don't think twice.
Does your driver happen to have a brother named Ping?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #85
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I just remembered this but I'll add another one for my list.

After having taken delivery of my brand new e46 M3 (RWD with Summer tread) in 2001 and being a manual 6-speed in which I hadn't really quite gotten the feel of just yet (hadn't driven a stick for years after living abroad and returning to the US), an unexpected light snow storm hit downtown Seattle and I was on some of the steep hills (don't remember which one) and trying to parallel park on said steep hill with passengers giving me s*** at the same time. I stalled it ONCE and never again. I figured I had a legit excuse for stalling it though. That was a scary moment as I also had to watch out for other drivers and I was so paranoid about someone sliding into me and my brand spanking new M3 that I just paid for in full.

Side Note:
I had never test driven the M3 before buying it. I had only sat in one in a showroom in Tokyo. It was that moment I knew I had to have that car. You have to realize that these were the days when people often times paid a fortune to others that had an allocation to just order that car. Basically paying for a spot in line. I got lucky and didn't have to pay anything and bought one from out of state, custom ordered. No sunroof! What an exciting moment it was for me to see it on a flatbed truck being delivered to my home after drooling over it in magazines and online photos!
So what happened to this E46 M3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post

Attachment 2537177
Home sweet home
I took public transportation most of the time I was home. Is that not the case with you? Still some of the worst traffic I've experience.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #86
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
So what happened to this E46 M3?
I sold it many years ago when I was living in California. I had done some mods to it (H&R coilovers, Stoptech BBK[first one to have them installed on an e46 M3], aftermarket rims, etc. I had it listed for a few days before a guy offered to buy it in cash as it was a pretty desirable car. I thought having no sunroof would be a deal breaker for most people, not true.

You wouldn't guess what I replaced it with..... a VW Touareg (V8 engine spec) with virtually no options. I loved it though. My friends that were fellow M3 owners couldn't believe it. I think that Touareg had just come out during that time and there were reportedly a number of lemons. Mine was perfectly fine though. Some of the hardest leather seats I have ever owned though.

The Touareg was built on the same assembly line as the Porsche Cayenne IIRC in Bratislava, Slovakia. Not sure if that's still the case.

Last edited by TiMSport; 02-25-2021 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #87
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Does your driver happen to have a brother named Ping?
Guy that works for me, an American that hasn't lived in the U.S. in 30 years has a girlfriend named Pang, so close.

Quote:
S
Home sweet home
I took public transportation most of the time I was home. Is that not the case with you? Still some of the worst traffic I've experience.
I used to stay in Bangkok every night, our plant is about an hour north so had to drive but sometimes coming back to the city at night would take 1-2 hours (as much as 3 hours on a bad day) so after about a year of this and the driver I decided there had to be another way. Leaving at 7 and getting home at 7-8 sucked. I now stay about a half hour from our plant Monday-Thursday nights, nothing much to do where the place is but I cut the 2-3 hour total commute to about an hour total. Now on Friday afternoon I drive to Bangkok, car is parked until Monday morning and take the Skytrain (overhead train), taxi's, walk or even the tuk-tuk's over the weekend. Picture is actually on a Saturday/Sunday from the Skytrain, when traffic isn't nearly as bad as during the week. They have some of the worst traffic in the world. My wife asked it I was afraid of getting hurt in an accident but rarely going very fast so unlikely. Unclear to me exactly what the system is in an accident (company SUV) but there is a phone number on the windshield for the insurance company. People at the plant recommended I get an international drivers license as an accident or ticket they can take it and then I don't care about getting it back.

Some of the nicest people on earth, fun place to visit, not very expensive, safe, good food (some of it is pretty spicy). I strongly recommend people visit if they get a chance. Does take a long time to get to. From my house in Cincinnati to the hotel in Bangkok is about 30 hours. Part of the reason I stay for 2-3 weeks at a time. My next trip, whenever that is, supposed to have my wife come out at the end of my 2-3 weeks and we will go to Vietnam for vacation. Me already there avoids that expensive flight and I will already be adjusted to the time (they are 12 hours later in the Winter).

The American that works for me estimated you could retire near the beach with an ok life for about $15k a year.

Were you born there and assuming mother and/or father are Thai? Speak any of the language?
      02-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #88
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Since we're talking about scary and treacherous moments, I have one more close call. Last one, I promise. Still at the 'Ring. I thought the wider angle out the Hit-Miss-Hit would give me a better line at the apex of the next curve, but this is the off camber section which leads to missive understeer when you brake at the same time. Worked hard to save it, just can't see it due to camera angle. I'm sure the Team Schirmer Racing M4 behind me had a good lough.

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 02-25-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0