BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > G87 M2 Spy shots...

02-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #815
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Have you been to the auto show?

I went yesterday and let me tell you, not one automaker did a better job integrating the large display better than the iX. Even the i4 did it better than the rest.
Honestly, I stopped going to the auto show years ago. It's mostly SUVs and trucks now, not my cup of tea. I didn't even know BMW was there this year and even if I did know I wouldn't go, because all they display are their base models nowadays.

Note sure which particular automakers you are comparing, but all the latest digital dashes from BMW's competitors, Audi, Porsche, MB are all integrating it better IMO and even using round digital gauges too.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #816
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Honestly, I stopped going to the auto show years ago. It's mostly SUVs and trucks now, not my cup of tea. I didn't even know BMW was there this year and even if I did know I wouldn't go, because all they display are their base models nowadays.

Note sure which particular automakers you are comparing, but all the latest digital dashes from BMW's competitors, Audi, Porsche, MB are all integrating it better IMO and even using round digital gauges too.
BMW had the M5 CS, M3 comp, iX M60, i4 40i among others.

Sadly none of BMW's top competitors were there other than Lexus. All I can comment on is that even with BMW using two screens, they're designed quite seamlessly to where you can't notice. Especially in the iX.
      02-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #817
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Have you been to the auto show?

I went yesterday and let me tell you, not one automaker did a better job integrating the large display better than the iX. Even the i4 did it better than the rest.
To be honest, I wonder how many people have even seen the new ID8 screens in person but are already ruling out the last 6MT car ever produced by BMW.

Look, I wasn't the biggest fan of the release/spy pics of the G8x M3/4, but I at least waited to see it in person before making my final judgement on it. No car is all good or all bad.

P.S. Anyone else remember people on here saying they'd never buy an M2 because the hood shut line was the worse they've ever seen, the crooked seats are a deal breaker and the taillights don't look like they came from BMW, lack of M mirrors?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #818
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

P.S. Anyone else remember people on here saying they'd never buy an M2 because the hood shut line was the worse they've ever seen, the crooked seats are a deal breaker and the taillights don't look like they came from BMW, lack of M mirrors?
In hindsight, those were all small, insignificant issues to me, personally.

The upcoming new G87's screen doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is that the overall exterior design is a dumpster fire. There's too many angles, too many lines, complete lack of cohesion.

The rear end is just..........LOL.

For me, I'm pretty simple. If I have to ANALYZE and then further justify why a car looks good - it failed.

When I see a new car I have to be immediately and unobjectively wowed for it to be successful.

That's how I felt when I first saw the Lotus Emira, and when I first saw the F87 M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #819
CannibalOx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I have been thinking about the G 40/42/87 a lot. I was really harsh about it in a post over in the CS forum. I still can't get behind or understand its design language. I fully admit that I grew up when the E36, E39 and E46 were all in their heyday and I absolutely have been in love with those cars since. I think the reason that F87 was so appealing to me, looks-wise, is that it has a lot of design language in common with those cars.

I remember the Bangle-pocalypse that was the E6X's, E8X's, and E9X's. I hated those cars when they came out. Now while I don't think they are the best looking BMW's ever, I like them a lot more. The E92 M3 is really good looking and the E91 wagon looks fantastic in my opinion. I can't say if the new infotainment system will be good, but I am a fan of that type of integration since I saw MBUX years ago. I can also say that I have spent a few hours inside of the G80 and the interior is emphatically better than my F87.

I doubt that the G87 will lure me away from my Comp. I have no doubt that it will be a good car inside and dynamically. It just is unlikely to appeal to me visually, at least right away.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 02:41 PM   #820
Tag
this is the way
Rep

It's too early to decide to like, love or hate the G87's looks. All we have is a leaked front bumper (not on the car) and heavily camouflaged mule pics to go by. Thus far however I see some similarities between it and E36 M3's boxy design. It might actually look cool, so long as it's proportioned right and doesn't have any weird clashing lines. If you look at the most recent spy pics you'll see that even the rear bumper is boxy, which shows they carried this design language over. All good signs.

*fingers crossed*

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 07:43 PM   #821
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

In hindsight, those were all small, insignificant issues to me, personally.

The upcoming new G87's screen doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is that the overall exterior design is a dumpster fire. There's too many angles, too many lines, complete lack of cohesion.

The rear end is just..........LOL.

For me, I'm pretty simple. If I have to ANALYZE and then further justify why a car looks good - it failed.

When I see a new car I have to be immediately and unobjectively wowed for it to be successful.

That's how I felt when I first saw the Lotus Emira, and when I first saw the F87 M2.
We don't even know what the car looks like….
      02-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #822
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
We know what the front bumper will look like based on the leaked pic from the supplier shop in China.That was confirmed this week from the fact that the earlier leaked G20 M Sport LCI bumper pic from that same supplier is the same bumper on the latest G20 LCI spy pics.So this front bumper IMO is definitely the bumper that the G87 will have.It looks terrible IMO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #823
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
We know what the front bumper will look like based on the leaked pic from the supplier shop in China.That was confirmed this week from the fact that the earlier leaked G20 M Sport LCI bumper pic from that same supplier is the same bumper on the latest G20 LCI spy pics.So this front bumper IMO is definitely the bumper that the G87 will have.It looks terrible IMO.
Yeah the bumper matches the most recent spy shots. That being said it's still a bit premature to have a strong opinion in either direction without seeing the full car yet.

Last edited by Game; 02-19-2022 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7441.00
      02-20-2022, 09:29 AM   #824
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Changing the bumpers isn't going to change the overall design.

The F87 M2 and M2C looked great because the base 2er was good looking to begin with.
Appreciate 2
KevinC3088.00
Moflow2484.50
      02-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #825
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Just noticed what appears to be the carbon fiber roof on the latest spy pics of the G87 during winter testing. You can see it on previous spy pics too, but the camouflage did a good job disguising it, at least from my eyes up until now.

Source: Motor1 '2023 BMW M2 Spied With M240i Reveals Different Lights And Grille'[UPDATE]
Appreciate 1
W///7483.50
      02-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #826
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

The F87 M2 and M2C looked great because the base 2er was good looking to begin with.
The G42 looks pretty good in person.
      02-22-2022, 06:12 AM   #827
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

Don't disagree with you here, I really liked the way the F22 looked (especially after LCI), but I think the G42 looks much better in person than in pictures, as with most G generation cars unfortunately.

We'll see, I'm not saying I'm for sure jumping on the waiting list as I think the G87 will have to be REALLY good to be able to kick the F87C out of the garage for me, but I'm open to the idea.

P.S: I also want to mention the G gen cars are far more color sensitive than any E or F generation cars IMHO.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT

Last edited by W///; 02-22-2022 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0