BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BM3 Stage 2 Logs

03-29-2021, 06:55 AM   #1
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

BM3 Stage 2 Logs

In light of reading through a few threads on here about the extremely rare blown M2 motors the recurring comment was always "log your car" after a tune. While I'm not new to modding or tuning, I am also not a tuner so I'd like to share these logs and see what input more experienced people than I have to say.

Car is a 2016 M2 DCT with 58k
AA Catted DP, AA Chargepipe, CSF FMIC, Shell V Power 93
BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS tune

From my look things seem pretty good, no boost leaks, no recorded knock although it seems some timing was pulled but for an OTS it seems good and safe. No fuel pump issues either.

I am thinking of going the custom tune route in the future but would do so after my hardware is 100% and before I get further I want to make sure everything is good and safe, especially given the mileage. Car has only been tuned for a few hundred miles and plugs are OEM with about 25k on them.

Thanks in advance

I ran 3 logs almost back to back the other day when it was about 55 degrees or so.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=605f...90c67d4e5b153b

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=605f...90c67d4e5b153a

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=605f...729b4128b08e9c
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

your fuel could be better. in your last log, you did in fact have knock at the upper rpm with timing being pulled in 2 cylinders. if you could add a splash of ethanol and that may clean up your timing. im running the same map as you are with similar IAT/temps but i have ethanol in my tank and my timing is equal and no knock in all cylinders with timing advance up to 11.5 at 6500 rpm. although its interesting youre not overboosting on tip in like i am and your boost takes a while to build up before it hits target. so i dunno what is going on there. someone with more knowledge can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
your fuel could be better. in your last log, you did in fact have knock at the upper rpm with timing being pulled in 2 cylinders. if you could add a splash of ethanol and that may clean up your timing. im running the same map as you are with similar IAT/temps but i have ethanol in my tank and my timing is equal and no knock in all cylinders with timing advance up to 11.5 at 6500 rpm. although its interesting youre not overboosting on tip in like i am and your boost takes a while to build up before it hits target. so i dunno what is going on there. someone with more knowledge can chime in.
Thanks, I sent these over to PTF too just to ask them for a quick review and they responded to try another gas station or switch to 91 oct map.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
Thanks, I sent these over to PTF too just to ask them for a quick review and they responded to try another gas station or switch to 91 oct map.
yeah it looked definitely fuel related. i had to add 5 gallons of ethanol to make the map work. although may be a bit too much tbh but if its working i cant complain lol.
Appreciate 0