BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > If you could undo all the mods on your car, would you?

11-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

If you could undo all the mods on your car, would you?

If you could undo all the mods on your car and have the cash back in your pocket, what would you do different? Keep the cash? Not change anything and keep all the mods? Keep some mods and keep the cash of others? Prioritize some mods first?

In other words, what mods have been worth it to you and what have not? Have mods increased your enjoyment relative to their cost? Has it cost more headaches than if you had the cash and a stock m2.....etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
I love my M2 the way it is. No problems with mods but they have all been cosmetic except for my M Performance exhaust and BBS wheels.

I wouldn’t do anything different given the choice of my car or a stock M2.
      11-22-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Great question. Minor mods on my ‘17 as follows but wouldn’t change a thing. Every change was an improvement and well worth the investment. The car on this setup is a pretty potent dual purpose car. Road trips, date nights, office taxi, and track tool.

Exterior
* TRE carbon front lip
* M Performance rear diffuser
* M2 CS rear spoiler

Interior
* Schroth Quick-Fit Pro 4-point
* M Performance eBrake handle
* M Performance steering wheel trim
* Faserschmiede carbon Radio trim

Wheels/Tires/Suspension
* TC Kline suspension kit w/ camber plates
* BimmerWorld Spherical front thrust bearings
* SPL front endlinks
* 437M on Falken RT660 - Track
* 788M on Michelin PSS - Street
* Rays G025 on Michelin PSS - Alt street wheel

Brakes
* PFC 08 pads - track (OE for street)
* Castrol SRF fluid
* Bimmerworld SS brake lines

Engine
* CSF Intercooler
* Turner Motorsports charge pipe
* Active Autowerke downpipe w/ sport cat
* BootMod3 Stage 2 91octane tune
* Eventuri carbon engine cover

Appreciate 7
      11-22-2022, 03:52 PM   #4
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeSalad View Post
If you could undo all the mods on your car and have the cash back in your pocket, what would you do different? Keep the cash? Not change anything and keep all the mods? Keep some mods and keep the cash of others? Prioritize some mods first?

In other words, what mods have been worth it to you and what have not? Have mods increased your enjoyment relative to their cost? Has it cost more headaches than if you had the cash and a stock m2.....etc.
I will stay stock in the future, for the most part. A lot of the mods (even after carful research to find quality products) I have done had small issues that I either have to chase down, or reverse course on all together. While some mods did improve the driving experience, they haven't been worth the expense or back and forth to the shop/down time for me. Not to mention potential issues with warranty claims and the like.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 05:20 PM   #5
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i usually plan it all out. cost of car, cost of mods, how much my time is worth installing and uninstalling stuff, and how much i'd get on the back end of selling those mods. Stuff like a CF roof, big brake kit, pure turbo you will probably not get much money back after you factor in cost/time to uninstall.

Wheels and exhaust are pretty easy to unbolt and sell. can usually make 70%+ back on a nice HRE wheel.

but most of the time its just minor stuff for me. too lazy to take time to uninstall and convert to stock. i just save money for the next/better car.... although with the way BMW is going with ugly g8x cars, torque converters, and the trend towards EV idk lol. may be better to just mod the f87 than buy a g87.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2022, 02:38 AM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.92]
I modified my M2 with several worthy power enhancements

The car is an absolute blast 💥 to drive and the additions were definitely worth it
      11-23-2022, 10:12 AM   #7
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

I've carefully researched every single mod I've ever done on my Acura TSX, E92 328i, and OG M2 over the past 18 years. I haven't regretted a single one, and I've never had to back anything out...with one exception. Adding poly rear differential bushings on my 328i improved shift quality and the feel of the back end over bumps, but the NVH increase wasn't worth it. I've been considering going back to rubber bushings.
      11-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #8
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I do not...but I sure do wish I could've gotten back the 15 grand of audio equipment I put in my last car and transfer it to my M2.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.92]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
I do not...but I sure do wish I could've gotten back the 15 grand of audio equipment I put in my last car and transfer it to my M2.
Yeah sadly those days are gone

I now suck it up and listen to factory
      11-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #10
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Yeah sadly those days are gone

I now suck it up and listen to factory
Word. Wife has overruled project make the M2 go boom.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN20464.50
      11-26-2022, 05:32 AM   #11
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I might take the coilovers off. They are so noisy on rough tarmac. I sat that as I'm on a road trip and it's so noisy I can't hear vocals in some songs!

The stock setup crashes at low speed but is actually really decent on the move above 45-50mph or so.

The coilovers are more capable though and provide much more grip in all instances.

Otherwise I'd keep everything else I've done.
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2022, 05:47 AM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Not a chance. I'd choose the KWV3 suspension instead of MPS, but she sits exactly how I wanted from the beginning. The only mod that is questionable is the GTS hood since the fitment isn't quite OEM, and the color match isn't flawless.

Insolent. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 3
      11-26-2022, 07:06 AM   #13
MarlboroM2C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
  [10.00]
2021 BMW  [10.00]
BMW M2 side gills, grilles, whatever the f they're called. Useless, small, way expensive, can't see em.
Totally un necessary.
MooMooM21835.00
      11-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #14
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I am not sure about undo because I like them but any useless mod I could do without.

IND painted roundels (they look amazing but only iykyk)
Door projectors (don't even look at them anymore ever)

M performance diffuser. Was way expensive and really it does not even look that good, the plastic one is totally fine
Turner duck bill spoiler - This one is tough, sometimes I love it and sometimes I think its too much. It looks amazing certain angles and certain angles it does not. I would have probably skipped it now (I want to get a proper wing eventually).

My favorite mods are anything that I touch. M perf steering wheel, m perf hand brake,. alcantara wrapped shift knob. The best mods are the ones you see all the time, touch or actually help the performance of the car.
Appreciate 4
      11-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #15
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

The M Performance carbon rear diffuser looks sick. The car should have come that way which is why it did on the CS.

“Doesn’t look good.” is factually inaccurate and I can only assume related to early stage dementia or possibly syphilitic paresis.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #16
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
The M Performance carbon rear diffuser looks sick. The car should have come that way which is why it did on the CS.

“Doesn’t look good.” is factually inaccurate and I can only assume related to early stage dementia or possibly syphilitic paresis.
Ha I agree. I think the carbon fiber diffuser is pricey, but looks WAY higher quality than the cheap black plastic original piece. Fortunately my car came with that part.

On the other hand (most of you all may disagree) but I think the fake CF/plastic interior trim pieces and alcantara look cheap as hell. I swapped all those out for brushed aluminum and leather (from the euro 2 series) as soon as I got my car. The F87 interior quality feels lower than my E92 328i, but these trim pieces get things closer to the same level IMO.
Attached Images

11-26-2022, 05:05 PM   #17
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post

I did not say it did not look good I said it does not even look that good, as in its better than the shitty plastic one but for $1000 its not something you look at and are like wow this has changed the car because it didn’t. Maybe I should have juat bought a cheaper version but did not want to deal with fitment.

But yes its better than the plastic
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 05:07 PM   #18
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
Ha I agree. I think the carbon fiber diffuser is pricey, but looks WAY higher quality than the cheap black plastic original piece. Fortunately my car came with that part.

On the other hand (most of you all may disagree) but I think the fake CF/plastic interior trim pieces and alcantara look cheap as hell. I swapped all those out for brushed aluminum and leather (from the euro 2 series) as soon as I got my car. The F87 interior quality feels lower than my E92 328i, but these trim pieces get things closer to the same level IMO.
You are the 3rd person that says the fake cf interior, its not fake. I mean its an overlay over plastic but its real cf. I would have preferred cleared cf but I actually don’t mind it, its different and I have not ever seen it on another car so thats neat.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #19
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
You are the 3rd person that says the fake cf interior, its not fake. I mean its an overlay over plastic but its real cf. I would have preferred cleared cf but I actually don’t mind it, its different and I have not ever seen it on another car so thats neat.
Have you taken any of the CF trim pieces off and looked at it from the side? When I did it really looked like one piece of molded plastic. I didn’t see anything that looked like a separate layer of CF on top of the plastic. But it's possible the layer was so thin I missed it. There are quite a few threads out there with folks claiming there's actually a thin layer of CF adhered to the thick plastic base.

Last edited by fleetfoot; 11-26-2022 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 06:46 PM   #20
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
Have you taken any of the CF trim pieces off and looked at it from the side? When I did it really looked like one piece of molded plastic. I didn’t see anything that looked like a separate layer of CF on top of the plastic. But it's possible the layer was so thin I missed it. There are quite a few threads out there with folks claiming there's actually a thin layer of CF adhered to the thick plastic base.
the weave is carbon fiber, you can see the interwoven fibers, I have some that the fibers are coming out a little bit and can see that its real.

But just like most if not all carbon in these cars are basically pointless and for looks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Personally I would never revert back to stock. My entire philosophy on cars is nothing is perfect, and there is a lot that can be done to improve on the short comings left over by the OEM. I always love tweeking my cars and I love customizing things, so modding is just the way I'm wired.
      11-26-2022, 08:42 PM   #22
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Personally I would never revert back to stock. My entire philosophy on cars is nothing is perfect, and there is a lot that can be done to improve on the short comings left over by the OEM. I always love tweeking my cars and I love customizing things, so modding is just the way I'm wired.
Every OEM setup is trying to hit a wide mark and appeal to a lot of people, so there are lots of compromises made. Modding is cool because it allows each individual owner to maximize their unique preferences and use cases. Pretty neat how that works out.
Appreciate 1