BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Share your Journey

08-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #1519
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbombs View Post
So I apologize in advance, as I know this has nothing to do with the core topic if this thread, but after reading dozens of pages, it has become apparent this is where the smart M2C guys hang out. I just picked up a 2020 about a month ago and I love the car! I even just learned about the iDrive Touch controller from this thread.

But one thing I would really like, is to have carplay in fullscreen. I know there is a bimmerpost member who has a great reputation for doing this mod without issue. But what I cant seem to get a clear answer on is, will this cause me potential warranty issues? I cant see how changing the resolution parameters in a .ini file would cause any harm, but I wanted to see if you all had any input. Thanks in advance!
That is a great question! I wouldn't worry too much about warranty, as it is a software change, thus it can be rebooted to a previous version.

What held me back was the potential for an iDrive 6 version upgrade. From what I understand, if it is upgraded, you lose your full screen and it goes back to half screen. So it would mean you're out whatever you spend. I could be wrong on this, but I thought someone on the forum mentioned this and they had to re-buy the code. But again this is anecdotal. I would reach out to the Bimmerpost member for more clarification.

Oh and when I say iDrive 6 updates, I'm mainly talking about adding security patches. We all know in terms of functionality, BMW has moved on to supporting iDrive 7
      08-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #1520
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
That is a great question! I wouldn't worry too much about warranty, as it is a software change, thus it can be rebooted to a previous version.

What held me back was the potential for an iDrive 6 version upgrade. From what I understand, if it is upgraded, you lose your full screen and it goes back to half screen. So it would mean you're out whatever you spend. I could be wrong on this, but I thought someone on the forum mentioned this and they had to re-buy the code. But again this is anecdotal. I would reach out to the Bimmerpost member for more clarification.

Oh and when I say iDrive 6 updates, I'm mainly talking about adding security patches. We all know in terms of functionality, BMW has moved on to supporting iDrive 7
Thank you for the reply. I believe he will allow you one re-install as part of your purchase. Another thing, and this is just me being paranoid here, but are there any security concerns with this? Not accusing anyone of anything, but isn't possible some nefarious code could be added in the process?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #1521
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the reply. I believe he will allow you one re-install as part of your purchase. Another thing, and this is just me being paranoid here, but are there any security concerns with this? Not accusing anyone of anything, but isn't possible some nefarious code could be added in the process?
Good to know!

I preface your second question as I am not someone who is an expert on coding or IT. However, I do offer that with every code installation, there is always the potential for the creator to enter something nefarious. However, if you want your business to succeed, their has to be some trust. Like many other business transactions, often people use the phrase "buy the seller". That means regardless of the product, you have to know what the person selling and he/she is providing exactly what was advertised. I cannot speak for the coder at hand, but he seem to have pretty good reviews and no one has brought up any issues. Now don't take my word for it. In society we always have a social contract with everyone we meet.

Last piece of though. Do you worry about updating your iPhone? The answer is probably no because Apple has a strong social contract with the community. Also, Apple codes have controls in place where it goes through many levels of security checks and scrutiny. In this example, this coder probably do not have a security hierarchy. But then again, I have a friend who sells code on the side. In order for you to be successful, there has to be some moral standard in what you're creating.
      08-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #1522
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
I know what you mean! I have found it calming, as at least you can see steady progress. During the other portions of this process there was waiting....with no info. 15 knots is nothing to get excited about, but it is progress!

I am starting to plan what to obsess about after the car arrives, Ive gotten used to this unhealthy obsession after 6 months of waiting!
Ahaha I absolutely agree with you, when you see it move there's an unusual sense of happiness.

Maybe we should collect a list of all the owners that ordered and specced their cars and are/were waiting for their cars post covid factory shutdown. Would be interesting to see where everyone is in 5 years time with their cars.

I think buying a car off the dealer lot does not give you this buying experience !
The experience of high anticipation and constant daydreaming of your car upon its arrival? Yeah, the last couple of months have been rough!

10 more hours until I get to pick up my car, boys! If it wasn't for some important deadlines, I would have taken the entire day off to go and pickup my car. Is that crazy?!
No... I've taken a week off to collect my car, get it PPF'd and do a few mods myself (plus driving and having fun in it obviously!). If you're crazy, I should be in a mental asylum
I'm definitely calling in sick at work the week of delivery. Technically, I only have 4 sick days. Just hoping my boss doesn't find this post.
Appreciate 3
///AVM2529.50
JCZ51483.50
      08-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #1523
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know what you mean! I have found it calming, as at least you can see steady progress. During the other portions of this process there was waiting....with no info. 15 knots is nothing to get excited about, but it is progress!

I am starting to plan what to obsess about after the car arrives, Ive gotten used to this unhealthy obsession after 6 months of waiting!
Ahaha I absolutely agree with you, when you see it move there's an unusual sense of happiness.

Maybe we should collect a list of all the owners that ordered and specced their cars and are/were waiting for their cars post covid factory shutdown. Would be interesting to see where everyone is in 5 years time with their cars.

I think buying a car off the dealer lot does not give you this buying experience !
The experience of high anticipation and constant daydreaming of your car upon its arrival? Yeah, the last couple of months have been rough!

10 more hours until I get to pick up my car, boys! If it wasn't for some important deadlines, I would have taken the entire day off to go and pickup my car. Is that crazy?!
No... I've taken a week off to collect my car, get it PPF'd and do a few mods myself (plus driving and having fun in it obviously!). If you're crazy, I should be in a mental asylum
I'm definitely calling in sick at work the week of delivery. Technically, I only have 4 sick days. Just hoping my boss doesn't find this post.
And hope none of your colleagues are on here! Where do you work?...

Just kidding
Appreciate 1
j23654.50
      08-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #1524
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
So I apologize in advance, as I know this has nothing to do with the core topic if this thread, but after reading dozens of pages, it has become apparent this is where the smart M2C guys hang out. I just picked up a 2020 about a month ago and I love the car! I even just learned about the iDrive Touch controller from this thread.

But one thing I would really like, is to have carplay in fullscreen. I know there is a bimmerpost member who has a great reputation for doing this mod without issue. But what I cant seem to get a clear answer on is, will this cause me potential warranty issues? I cant see how changing the resolution parameters in a .ini file would cause any harm, but I wanted to see if you all had any input. Thanks in advance!

His contact is here, reach out:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26542657
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #1525
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
Great minds think a like, I'm taking the whole day off for delivery also but I've openly told them my reasoning
Appreciate 2
JCZ51483.50
j23654.50
      08-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #1526
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I have reached out, but I wanted some educated 3rd party opinions from someone such as yourself lol
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #1527
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I have reached out, but I wanted some educated 3rd party opinions from someone such as yourself lol
Oh, I see..

Well, it's just iDrive software recoding, basically changing the mapping for it to believe it's working with a higher resolution screen, hence, allowing full-screen CarPlay.

It's not really detrimental to your warranty coverage and to be honesty, they wouldn't even notice or feature would not look outlier because full screen CarPlay is the standard, in some other BMW models already.

As others mentioned, the only issue is if the dealer ever has to do an iStep update, it will wipe out the full screen CarPlay and I'm not sure what his policy is on do-overs but that's about all..
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
      08-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #1528
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

Picking up my LBB M2C tomorrow (Belgium). In about 16 hours. Ordered in March.

FINALLY the wait is almost over.

I'm sure gonna miss my F21 M135i, it was a lovely car to drive. I'm trading it in.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #1529
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not crazy....Thats my plan!
Appreciate 2
JCZ51483.50
Red229627.00
      08-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #1530
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I shared my delivery experience when my M2C first arrived but in short I had a different challenge. Certainly not the level of delay some of you have experienced.

I got my allocation December '18 and got in the order January but the factory shutdown for a week or so to switch to 2020 models that delayed delivery into April. No problem but I had to extend the lease on the current car a month or 2. Finally the big day arrived but it poured rain as I carefully drove it home and parked it in the garage. 4 hours later I was on a train to New York City for a week and had to just put the car out of mind. I finally got back home and was able to enjoy it for the first time and scheduled a mountain drive shortly thereafter.

PS: Although "The Beast" is appropriate given the midrange torque, to me that moniker is reserved for the E39 M5. A big sedan that could melt the tires through 3 gears! I know some of the folks on the board have experienced one in the past or still own it and should agree. I liken the E39 M5 to a big tight end where the M2C is more a 3rd down back. Small, quick and hard hitting but still capable of juking when needed.
great analogy, or so it would seem - Wont know for sure until I get the keys
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #1531
Sansnoetic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
m  [0.00]
Quote:
JC — by my count you have 3 hrs to go. I expect to see pics in short order after that! 😁. Good luck making all your work deadlines!
      08-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #1532
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansnoetic View Post
Quote:
JC — by my count you have 3 hrs to go. I expect to see pics in short order after that! 😁. Good luck making all your work deadlines!
🙏 you got that right! Honestly, I've been so consumed I didn't even realize it was coming up! But now, thanks to you I am distracted! Hahaha
      08-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #1533
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
🙏 you got that right! Honestly, I've been so consumed I didn't even realize it was coming up! But now, thanks to you I am distracted! Hahaha
Its time to get out of the office, you know you cannot work any more. Take the day off tomorrow and Friday and get to 1200 miles quickly.
Appreciate 3
JCZ51483.50
Red229627.00
      08-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #1534
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Oh man, the M2C is certainly a beast! As soon as I picked up my car, I have been on the road driving. I freaking love this thing!

One interesting thing happened when I was on the road. A bird fly right across my path last minute and I completely destroyed the thing. Saw it absolutely explode! My heart immediately sank and thought I would have a large dent. Luckily, not a scratch, wow that was a terrifying moment. RIP bird

Also anyone notice a roll containing your front hitch and a screwdriver underneath the trunk floor? At first I thought it was a toolkit (like years past).
Attached Images

Red229627.00
Poochie9104.50
boss2k1113.50
BigKutta3907.50
Davil6570.50
      08-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #1535
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Oh man, the M2C is certainly a beast! As soon as I picked up my car, I have been on the road driving. I freaking love this thing!

One interesting thing happened when I was on the road. A bird fly right across my path last minute and I completely destroyed the thing. Saw it absolutely explode! My heart immediately sank and thought I would have a large dent. Luckily, not a scratch, wow that was a terrifying moment. RIP bird

Also anyone notice a roll containing your front hitch and a screwdriver underneath the trunk floor? At first I thought it was a toolkit (like years past).
Congrats JC!!!
Appreciate 1
JCZ51483.50
      08-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #1536
Red2296
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
Quote:

Congrats JC, carbon fiber looks great!
Appreciate 1
JCZ51483.50
      08-26-2020, 08:21 PM   #1537
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:

Congrats!! Car is looking superb, silver is my choice also
Appreciate 1
JCZ51483.50
      08-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #1538
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Finally! She looks great! Congratulations!!!
Appreciate 1
JCZ51483.50
      08-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #1539
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Seeing JC get his machine has got me bitting my nails. I learned that my ship makes two stops in the port of NY/NJ the last is at BMW's facility. On a lark I checked the tracker and it shows "In transit" is that to my dealer?

EDIT: I should mention the ship arrived at port at 7:00 AM this morning and was at BMWs dock by midday
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #1540
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Seeing JC get his machine has got me bitting my nails. I learned that my ship makes two stops in the port of NY/NJ the last is at BMW's facility. On a lark I checked the tracker and it shows "In transit" is that to my dealer?

EDIT: I should mention the ship arrived at port at 7:00 AM this morning and was at BMWs dock by midday
Soon my friend!

Keep in mind from experience, the tracker is actually delayed. I would call BMW Genius to get an accurate report. When my car landed at the port of Charleston, it went to transit during that short time it was transferred to VPC. So essentially, it said at port, transit and then back at port (aka VPC).