BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

11-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #1475
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I'm just in wait and see mode. If it's priced low and they can be had at MSRP after they have been made for over a year maybe I'll trade up.
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      11-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #1476
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
welcome to the kklub
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #1477
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I'm just in wait and see mode. If it's priced low and they can be had at MSRP after they have been made for over a year maybe I'll trade up.
Good attitude. Newer is not always better. You already own a great car and what else do you really need? This has happened to me so many times with bikes and other things and then I realize what I already have is in many ways better because I can't really use MORE and the cost to do so isn't worth it. I always find it better to get in second and use the potential until it makes sense to trade up. Skipping certain generations can be prudent.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #1478
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Good attitude. Newer is not always better. You already own a great car and what else do you really need? This has happened to me so many times with bikes and other things and then I realize what I already have is in many ways better because I can't really use MORE and the cost to do so isn't worth it. I always find it better to get in second and use the potential until it makes sense to trade up. Skipping certain generations can be prudent.
Eh, I do thinks it's going to be the car as I truly want it. However I don't know price or availability so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to dump the MY17 M2 right now, which is a car I like, and then later find out I am not willing to pay the possibly much higher price of the M2 Competition, or maybe they will be so limited, or so in demand I can't get one, then I wouldn't have either. So the best I could really do is put a deposit down somewhere and wait and see, but so far I have not even put a deposit down. I mean if I can't get one, I guess I am just saving myself money in a way.

Feels to me like if they make them for two model years or more a motivated buyer could get one at or close to MSRP eventually. I think BMW said they plan to make the M2 until 2020. Does that mean MY19 is the last year or MY20 is the last year?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #1479
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Eh, I do thinks it's going to be the car as I truly want it. However I don't know price or availability so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to dump the MY17 M2 right now, which is a car I like, and then later find out I am not willing to pay the possibly much higher price of the M2 Competition, or maybe they will be so limited, or so in demand I can't get one, then I wouldn't have either. So the best I could really do is put a deposit down somewhere and wait and see, but so far I have not even put a deposit down. I mean if I can't get one, I guess I am just saving myself money in a way.

Feels to me like if they make them for two model years or more a motivated buyer could get one at or close to MSRP eventually. I think BMW said they plan to make the M2 until 2020. Does that mean MY19 is the last year or MY20 is the last year?
I'm kind of in the same boat and even contemplated on holding off on MY18 that I picked up last week. I decided that I would just take MY18 and enjoy it and wait and see like you are. I believe MY20 will be the final year. Once we get more info with also pricing and availability, I wouldn't even mind waiting until MY20 to get one. That's if I even would still want one. We shall see
      11-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #1480
MrYLT
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53/G05, Porsche 911 SC

Garage List
I had finally an internal confirmation that the M2 "Competition" (or whatever its name) is coming beginning/mid 2018 and might be following the process someone already spoke about with press release Jan/Feb... etc.

Instagram: @MrYLT
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #1481
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
So...for the record you think the M2 Competition msrp will be higher than M4 msrp?

Also it is not wishful thinking it is common sense, by looking at the provided information so far. Honestly I wish they were adding more equipment and higher end materials, with a higher price tag...while still offering a base M2. But both of those things are not happening. It is clear by the vins the M2 Competition still has cost cutting measures and the N55 "base" M2 is gone in June.

Performance suspension - not mentioned in vins (for sake of argument...a fixed damper suspension cost less than M4 adaptive suspension)
Peformance exhaust - no mention of this at all in vins or anywhere else.
Ultra light wheels - Vin lists new 788M lightweight forged wheels (Current 19in wheels are already forged. New wheels are an option anyways.)
Upgraded seats - Vin lists M sports seats(code 2NH), most believe it is just Comp seats out of M3/M4. Cheap Dakota leather still standard. So they will be a cheaper version missing the Merino leather. Also an option.
OK... so you appear to be indicating the M2 Competition will be detuned S55 and no other changes to the regular M2... just some expanded options. I have not been following for the past month or so, so I guess I missed that news. Kind of disappointing with all the hype around it.

If that is all the M2 Competition is... what a let down.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #1482
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs67 View Post
I had finally an internal confirmation that the M2 "Competition" (or whatever its name) is coming beginning/mid 2018 and might be following the process someone already spoke about with press release Jan/Feb... etc.
You received confirmation on a "whatever its name"? Sounds legit.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #1483
MrYLT
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53/G05, Porsche 911 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs67 View Post
You received confirmation on a "whatever its name"? Sounds legit.
I didn't ask for the name which is pure marketing and I don't care to be honest. I did for the approximately release period, first orders and deliveries dates.
I learned so much here I thought normal to share that "info" as well. I'm not here to spread fake news.
I can just say it comes from M France.

Instagram: @MrYLT
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #1484
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

In my opinion based on speculation and rumors, I think bmw likes where the m2 is at regarding sales, production and profit. I don't think sales and profit justified investing more into the Leipzig plant yet and so they aren't ready to increase production. They made a nice engine with the b58 but couldn't justify the r & d to increase power while adding stronger/lighter components to the engine to make it meet reliability, performance and longevity goals. They couldn't just throw the b58 into the lci as is and call it a day (or call it an m) so they chose to go one more year with the n55. Now that they are getting rid of the n55, they didn't want to give up on the m2 just yet (they learned from the 1m) and decided to throw in the s55 engine and sell the m2 for another few years. I'm guessing it will take much less r & d to detune an existing engine and try to maintain the weight ratios to retain the driving characteristics. Does anyone know how much more the s55 weighs than the n55? So far I read that they'll use lighter glass to offset the heavier engine but will that be enough to not mess up that successful balance?

Regarding price, I think the supply, demand and price are very closely related and that bmw doesn't want to disturb that and so I think they're going to try and keep the new m2 under $6k more than the current m2 (justified by inflation and a few more standard options). This might anger some m2 owners who just purchased the n55 version right before the launch of the s55 version but in my opinion I think the m2 is special because of the chassis/platform and not because of the engine and that bmw is betting on this.

Regarding availability, I think it will be similar as to when the m2 first came out with wait lists and dealer markups. Unless you get lucky, it should take a year before you can find wait times to be under 6 months and prices at msrp.

Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #1485
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Lately I'm seeing some of the random rumor articles mention the adjustable suspension of m3/m4. I'm thinking this will be a no as this is also an option on the m3/m4, and we don't see a similar option on the recent build sheets. I'm not particularly interested in the m3/m4 so I'm not well versed in the options.

Any opinions about the adjustable suspension on M2 comp?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #1486
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Lately I'm seeing some of the random rumor articles mention the adjustable suspension of m3/m4. I'm thinking this will be a no as this is also an option on the m3/m4, and we don't see a similar option on the recent build sheets. I'm not particularly interested in the m3/m4 so I'm not well versed in the options.
Any opinions about the adjustable suspension on M2 comp?
Alike in base M2 VIN build sheets, nowhere in 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets any reference whatsoever to the Adaptive M Suspension (BMW code 2VF).
      11-17-2017, 12:55 AM   #1487
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Alike in base M2 VIN build sheets, nowhere in 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets any reference whatsoever to the Adaptive M Suspension (BMW code 2VF).
Bummer, I really love the cars I've driven with adjustable suspensions. From the VW R to an R8 V10 to the M4. It's really nice being able to adjust on crappy roads down to comfort.

Is it for cost reasons you figure, or that they don't want too many of the M4's options available on the M2?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #1488
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Bummer, I really love the cars I've driven with adjustable suspensions. From the VW R to an R8 V10 to the M4. It's really nice being able to adjust on crappy roads down to comfort.

Is it for cost reasons you figure, or that they don't want too many of the M4's options available on the M2?
Well you can get adaptive suspension on 2 series so they probably just trying to remove features to get people to move up to M4.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #1489
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
You don't need to add the cost of an S55, only the difference in cost between the two.

Even if at retail, the Msrp of an S55 is double the price of an N55. The net cost will likely not be so great.

For example let's say an S55 retails for $18K and an N55 retails for $12K and they both have 100 percent markup .. then the S55 has a net cost of 9K and the N55 is $6K, a difference of $3K.

I included the figures above merely as an exercise because more than likely , the factor we can't determine that most affects this, is the quantity of each item produced. It's very possible the expense to create an S55 may be even lower due to higher production volumes.

As a matter of fact , it's entirely possible that after building 100,000 S55 motors vs 20,000 N55B30TO motors that the S55 is actually cheaper to produce ...

For BMW to switch to the S55 from the N55 .. BMW AG has to be concerned enough about some issue with the N55 motor (emissions ? Performance vs competitors? , reduce production costs ?, ///Marketing ?, homologation of a new model for racing- oops never mind .. I'm old school ! ) to make this switch.

I find it very interesting indeed if a competition version s55 M2 shows up without a base model continuing (with a B5830TO for example) on an underlying model.
My understanding that the incremental cost between the S55 and N55 is much more than $3K. The block is more expensive, the twin turbos are more expensive, etc. I had understood in looking around the internet it is more in the neighbourhood of $6K (at least).

Not sure I follow the production volume aspect of your discussion either. How many N55 are produced versus S55? A LOT more.

Is there really data showing the S55 has lower emissions than the N55? The numbers I find show them to be pretty much the same.

No doubt the S55 is a better engine... I just expect it to come at a significant cost.

Also, power upgrade... but sound downgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #1490
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well you can get adaptive suspension on 2 series so they probably just trying to remove features to get people to move up to M4.
Maybe it's just no-frills spot-on perfect.
      11-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #1491
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'd likely never toy with the settings. Like eco mode in some cars. I'm never thinking to myself while driving...hmmm I'm ready to pounce. I'm in the moment, and need the car to be ready when I am.

There's an idea. Suspension that reacts to heart rate. Heart rate monitor in the steering wheel and gear shift. camera that monitors facial expression. Now that's an adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #1492
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'd likely never toy with the settings. Like eco mode in some cars. I'm never thinking to myself while driving...hmmm I'm ready to pounce. I'm in the moment, and need the car to be ready when I am.
There's an idea. Suspension that reacts to heart rate. Heart rate monitor in the steering wheel and gear shift. camera that monitors facial expression. Now that's an adaptive suspension.
Alike riding a horse: just one setting and that's it. It's just a matter of getting a good horse.

Remember the BMW 1M: no pampering - Hobson's choice:
Name:  HobsonChoice_01.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  21.8 KB
Name:  HobsonChoice_02.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  20.7 KB
      11-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #1493
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alike riding a horse: just one setting and that's it. It's just a matter of getting a good horse.

Remember the BMW 1M: no pampering - Hobson's choice:
Attachment 1723056
Attachment 1723057
Well, Let's hope this horse is good. If not, there are other options out there, but that means back to the research board.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #1494
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
My understanding that the incremental cost between the S55 and N55 is much more than $3K. The block is more expensive, the twin turbos are more expensive, etc. I had understood in looking around the internet it is more in the neighbourhood of $6K (at least).
I'd hope not, and am thinking it wouldn't make sense. They are replacing the current M2 with this one with the new engine, don't forget. There's not going to be a regular M2 and a CS, like everyone originally thought.

I can't think of any other car that has gone up in price like 10% instantly, from one platform to the next, and definitely not within a life cycle refresh.

That's like saying when the 3 series went from a 325i in the E46 to a 328i in the E90, which were two completely different engines and the latter, much more powerful at 231 HP vs 184 HP for the old one, the MSRP of the base model jumped a whole lot.

Doesn't make sense from a marketing and sales point of view to do so.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #1495
david9999999
Private
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Out of curiosity, has anyone in the metro NYC area tried driving by BMW NA to see if there might be an M2 in the parking lot? IIRC somebody did that before the M2 was revealed and actually found a prototype there out in the open, can't find the thread.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      11-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #1496
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by david9999999 View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone in the metro NYC area tried driving by BMW NA to see if there might be an M2 in the parking lot? IIRC somebody did that before the M2 was revealed and actually found a prototype there out in the open, can't find the thread.
I was one of the people that did this lol I'm too far south to do it now but the place is easily accessible. Drove right into the parking garage where two mules were parked.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 2